PDA

View Full Version : Lymph node anxiety - am I being silly?

LauraJay
05-12-11, 10:00
Hi everyone,

I'm new here but I've been flicking through some of the threads on this forum and it's been such a help to know I'm not alone.

Basically, my story is this. About a month and a half ago I found a lump on the side of my neck, about halfway up. Naturally I freaked and did a quick google search - everything related to cancer. Since then I found a smaller one below it and a couple around the other side of the muscle which feel more like fatty deposits than lymph nodes (they are squishier and don't move freely like the others, they just move like jelly under my skin but a little harder).

Again, since that there seems to be a similar, tinier version above my collarbone which I freaked out over yet again. It seems the moment a DR reassures me about one lump, another pops up for me to worry over!

I have seen 5 GPs who all seem un-concerned, one said the lymph nodes were shotty from a residual infection I had (as I started working in a nursery, must have picked up a bug), and another said the jelly-like lumps were fatty deposits and not lymph nodes at all. I have had a blood test which has come back normal, and I've been reassured as I said, by 5 GPs.

My boyfriend tells me after all this I should have forgotten about it now (he also has a lump on his neck!), but its so hard. I have an urge to touch my neck all the time, and when I need to relax I feel like I should be acting on this to get black and white answers. I'm terrified of cancer, absolutely terrified. My sister lost her battle to Osteosarcoma 7 years ago...I dont know if thats relevant to this but it could add to my anxiety.

So removing emotion and past experience from the equasion, should I listen to the DRs and forget about this? I just want to get on with my life. Me and my boyfriend have moved into a new house and are going on holiday in 3 months - I dont want this spoiling it!

I would also like to add that the lumps have not grown since I found them. The lymph nodes went up when I had a cold a couple of weeks ago, then down again when it passed. But I can still feel them, none are more than 1cm (ones near collarbone are more like tiny specks and can only be felt a certain way).

I'm just sick of this. Logic tells me I should be reassured by my doctors, and to keep my hands off my neck, but I have this nagging fear that somethings not right. They all tell me none seem pathalogically enlarged and have not referred me to an ENT since I have no other symptoms and they havent grown. I don't know what I can do to feel better!

L x