PDA

View Full Version : any success storys about this AD

cathycrumble
05-12-11, 17:47
PLEASE!! I have just started Amitriptyline for my anxiety and depression I am on 50mg surley someone has taken it with positive results? I am begining to think I should have perservered with citalopram and the dreaded side effects. The only prob was they worked for me after 3 months and stupidly came off after 6 months then went back on them but felt they werent working the same maybe I should have taken them longer.

Anyhow I need to know if Amitriptyline will help me?

Cathy xx

nomorepanic
05-12-11, 19:01
Well I was told recently that they don't really use it as an antidepressant now and it is used more for pain reflief!

cathycrumble
05-12-11, 20:23
So would you say it's not a good one then? I find it's drying my nose up and feel very dry.

Cathy xx

pinkdove
05-12-11, 21:56
cathy i have pm'd you x

nomorepanic
05-12-11, 22:06
All anti depressants are going to give you some side effects Cathy which is why I won't take them.

Have you been put forward for any CBT help?

cathycrumble
05-12-11, 22:08
Yes i have seen a junior type theropist who asseses me then I go on to the main man lol but i have to go back on a flaming waiting list it's just a pain all this waiting and messing

Cathy xx

nomorepanic
05-12-11, 22:17
You can try some self help as well - have you read any books?

cathycrumble
05-12-11, 22:22
I have just realized I did buy CBT for dummies but I was scared to read it how silly is that but I will have a read of it I have had it about 6 months

Cathy xx

nomorepanic
05-12-11, 22:23
Claire Weekes is very good and her books are very helpful

cathycrumble
05-12-11, 23:21
Yes I have them as I had postnatal depression with my son who is 29 now lol and I got her book then and she saved me but i find it hard to folow now I think I panic too much.

Cathy xx

nicola1980
06-12-11, 10:37
how long was you on cit for this time around? maybe you didn't give it proper chance to work or was on a too high or low dose?? im on week 12 now and only just feeling better so they take a while especially if your increasing your dose which i did from 10mg to 20mg and 3 wks ago to 30mg, the mental health team told me it takes 2-3 weeks for cit to get in ur system and then another 4 weeks 4 the dose to stabilise so with every increase that dose has to stabilise before u really benefit fully from it xx

cathycrumble
06-12-11, 11:25
I was on them for 3 months and felt down and yes maybe I was to anxious to up my doses I feel I went up too quick I should have stayed om 20mg a bit longer then went to 30mg instead i just went up to 40mg within a few weeks i went from 20 to 30 then to 40 within the first few weeks that was wrong of me I think. but the gp should advise you on this she just gave me them when I asked.

Cathy xx

nicola1980
06-12-11, 11:30
Thats the problem gp's don't really know much about AD's they just prescribe them and don't explain properly to u how to take them etc, would u not try them again? starting on 10mg and going slowly up? xx

cathycrumble
06-12-11, 11:47
I have been thinking seriously about it but I will give this amitriptyline ago first.

Cathy xx

midgey
31-12-11, 12:56
Hi Cathy,
I have been on Amityptelline for just over a year for anxiety. I would say it's been my saviour. I was on 10mg, then 20, then 25, then 50. I've been very good on 50mg for a while. I have had quite a difficult xmas and my anxiety has returned a little, but I am keeping on with the 50mg for the time being. If I feel I need a bit more I will go to see the GP.
Whilst this is an older AD, it is still used. I had bad side effects from SSRIs and they are effective. What works for one doesn't necesarily work for another so bear with it and give it time.
Hope this post finds you well,
Michelle