PDA

View Full Version : New Member

stefan
02-06-06, 13:19
Hi everyone - I'm Stefan. I am 54 years old, married with two grown-up children. I've suffered from anxiety and depression for many years. Two years ago it got so bad, I had a 'nervous breakdown' and was off work for four months. My GP put me on Citalopram (10 mg dose daily), and I'm still taking them. They have helped a lot, although I still get bouts of anxiety, tension headaches, dizzy spells, panicky thoughts and often feel dehydrated. I try to remain active, and not to dwell on anxious thoughts too much, which is easier said than done.
We are having a round of redundancies at work (stressful job), and I'm leaving shortly. Maybe for the better.
I get very worried when I don't feel well, especially in public, and try and hide my symptoms from others. This in itself makes me worry more - a vicious circle it seems.
Love to hear from others who take Citalopram, or have done , side-effects and how to eventually come off them.
Take care all,
Stefan.

trac67
02-06-06, 14:08
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

I am also on citalopram and have found them to be really helpful .

Take care
Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

clickaway
02-06-06, 14:27
Hi Stefan,

Welcome to the forum.

I took early retirement two years ago when I just turned 50. Make sure you keep occupied when you leave work. Both in the way of hobbies and occupation, such as charity work.

It will aid your recovery.

Ray
http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

shiv
02-06-06, 15:59
Hello there and welcome to the forum

Shiv x

giddy
02-06-06, 16:41
Welcome to the forum Stefan
Love Helen

mupp
02-06-06, 17:18
Hi Stefan,
I took citalapram for 2 years or more (10mg) & I am sure it was a great help to me, just takes the 'edge' off of my anxiety enough for me to continue with work & everyday life. I stopped taking it when I felt able to cope & life was good, what I did under guidance from my Doctor was to just start taking one every other day, then gradually lessen it to every 2 days,etc & before I knew it I realised I hadn't taken one for days & was fine so stopped altogether. I had no withdrawal affects at all luckily. The only small side affect I found whilst taking them was the odd 'anxiety dream', which I used to think was all my suppressed anxiety coming out in a dream while asleep, but that was no bother.
Unfortunately I let problems at work get the better of me recently & my anxiety is back with a vengeance, so I am back on the citalapram- started on 10mg 3 weeks ago & have just upped to 20mg 4 days ago- can feel a difference already so am hoping they will help me get back on track again. I know that the tablets are a 'crutch' but sometimes we need a liitle help so we can get through everyday life until we feel better able to cope alone.
I really hope that they make a difference to you & that you will feel better soon,
mupp

Daisybun
02-06-06, 17:26
Hi Stefan and welcome. I took citalopram 4 years ago and had no probs coming off, just did as mupp has said. Waiting to try them again at the moment - but don't feel too bad so may just hold off for a while.

Take care
Daisybun

'This too will pass'

shell100
02-06-06, 17:27
Hi there
now my gp put me on citilapram on wed & started me on 20mg & it knocked me flat the next day so i havent taken it since....
i was on seroxat for about 7 years & came off that in april......... maybe i should start on 10mg.... hmm will ring the doctor on monday x

manmoor
02-06-06, 17:38
Hi Stefan,

You will be made very welcome here. Everyone is very friendly and helpful

Mandy x

stefan
02-06-06, 17:44
Hi shell100, sorry, made a mess of my last posting.
Anyway, I too was on Seroxat for three years or so. Came off them without too many problems. You do need to persevere with Citalopram, some of the side-effects are troublesome, but probably better than suffering from anxiety and depression. It does take several weeks for the drug to kick in. I had sick leave from work when I started the Citalopram, maybe you can ask to do this too.
All the same, I had fantastic help from my wife and work colleague when I was going through my life of hell, and you do need this help, it's very difficult to beat anxiety and epecially depression on your own.
Best of luck and take care,Stefan.

jackie
02-06-06, 20:19
hi stefan

just know you will love it here

jackie

marie ross
02-06-06, 20:21
Hi Stefan,

Welcome to the forum, i hope you find a lot of help in here, i have.

Take care.

Marie XXX

Karen
04-06-06, 12:58
Hi Stefan

Welcome to the forum. Havw you received any therapy at all?

You might find the following information helpful:

First Steps (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=firststeps)

Symptoms (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=symptoms)

Links post: Links to posts about Common Problems (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7784)

You will find a lot of help and support here.

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

Alexandra
06-06-06, 14:11
Hi Stefan

Welcome to the forum

Take Care

Alex

Many People Will Walk
In & Out Of Your Life
But Only True Friends
Will Leave Footprints
In Your Heart

nomorepanic
06-06-06, 19:31
Hi Stefan

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here. Hope you get loads of support and advice.

Nicola

anderson78
07-06-06, 12:05
Hi Stefan, I am also on Cipramil and have found they have really helped me. Keep taking them, if you find you have side effects taking 20mg. Maybe reduce to 10mg and take in the morning... ? that's what I did and I don't feel any side effects.

Wish you well. Hang in there
x