PDA

View Full Version : Metal/salty taste in my mouth help!!!

mintxy
05-12-11, 20:27
Hi please can someone calm me down, ive had this weird metallic taste/salty taste in my mouth for a couple of weeks on and off. Ive stopped myself from googling up until last night (couldnt stop myself) then guess what i found? head and neck cancer! even references to lung cancer!, so this morning, exhausted from googling to try and find more evidence i woke up with a cough. Now i have convinced myself i have lung cancer. the strength of the taste comes and goes but i think its always there, it did stop for a few days but now its back. My lips are dry, and slaty to taste. I do have lots of dental cavities but when i saw the dentist he wasnt exactly reassuring it could be that "lets wait and see when ive done all the fillings if the taste is still there!" i do have some amalgam fillinfs and a couple of crowns, when i rub my tongue over them the taste does seem more pronounced. I was coping quite well until i read it could be a sign of cancer itself! (i know about the side effects of chemo causing it) please please help, ive now started to imagine ( i think) chest pains and shortness of breath! xx:weep:

Danath
05-12-11, 20:32
certain meds can do it, like zopiclone gave me a crap taste in my mouth the following day after taking it, or you could just have a dry mouth that can give you a nasty taste

mintxy
05-12-11, 20:36
Thanks, I forgot to say im not on any meds!! freaking out (perhaps i should be!!)

stevenr1986
05-12-11, 20:38
the human brain is the most powerful known "force" it controls millions of reactions in the body every second, it keeps you alive, but also tricks you and a person who suffers anxiety it can be a nasty combo, trust me! iv been and am going through it! metallic tastes after fillings are common, iv had 30 fillings and need 14 more and i remember the taste! once you google it can cause a chain reaction as without the full picture via things like tests and doctors to assist and make a reasoned judgment the brain creates what you have seen and read in a physical form!

mintxy
05-12-11, 20:40
Thanks for your reply, but these are not new fillings, they are at least 3 years old! i have plenty of cavities in my teeth tho do you think that could be the casue?

stevenr1986
05-12-11, 21:14
Thanks for your reply, but these are not new fillings, they are at least 3 years old! i have plenty of cavities in my teeth tho do you think that could be the casue?

yes, im waiting to have 6 teeth out now and have had it, it could just be a symptom of the anxiety. i would my money on anxiety and/or the teeth and not on cancer!

nomorepanic
05-12-11, 21:20
This is from my symptoms website page:

Lack of appetite or taste, a tinny, metallic or ammonia smell or taste

What you feel:

Sometimes you just don't feel like eating, or the thought of food is unappealing. Or, that even though you are eating, the food has no taste or is unsatisfying.
You have a persistent 'tinny', 'metallic' or 'ammonia' smell in your nose, or you taste it often and it's not from your food or environment. Often it's just there, but you can't figure out why
What causes this:

Similar to the other stomach related symptoms, loss of appetite is a result of an upset stomach due to the sustained increase in digestive action. Loss of taste occurs because taste buds are nerves, and an over stimulated nervous system can send false signals to the brain which means that sometimes we can experience odd, dulled or incorrect sensory perceptions (since our receptive senses are controlled and interpreted by the nervous system). The loss of taste because of this miscommunication or misinterpretation by the over stimulated nervous does occur. This is another example of how we can receive incorrect or inaccurate sensory perceptions because of an over stimulated nervous system.

caathie
24-01-13, 18:27
At first I had just a slightly salty taste then it became progressively moore and more metallic. I have had this for months now but couldn't identify the source.
I just found the cause. My doctor had suggested I apply a coating of vaseline on a q-tip to my nostrils to help a raw spot in one nostril heal, and then continue to do this through the dry winter heating of my my home furnace. Yesterday, after a particularly bad day of the metallic taste (even chocolate had begun to taste bad!), I decided to eliminate all medications and foods. That was when I realized the only thing left was the vaseline. I didn't apply it last night and the disturbing taste is barely noticeable this morning.
I hope this might help someone else.

Anxious_gal
25-01-13, 04:45
See a dental hygienist and get your teeth deep cleaned.
There might be bacteria trapped below the gum line which can cause a bad taste, or if you have gingivitis that'll cause the metallic taste.

Floss every day and maybe use a water pick/flosser too.

I'd mention the taste too to your GP.