PDA

View Full Version : My colon is scaring the poo out of me (long, TMI)...

fiendclub
06-12-11, 05:23
Hi guys,
I'm new here and would love some advice.

I have a phobia of doctors and medical testing. I am 28 years old.

I have been having a lot of IBS-type problems lately. I have had loose/runny stools daily for years. I just chalked it up to the fact that I drink quite a bit, so never got it checked out. Now, I'm having a lot of mucus D and cramping. The cramps seem to start as a wave-like pain, last a few seconds, then go away. Then, I usually have to use the restroom, where I expel a small amount of stool, and mucus. This usually happens later in the evening. My first BM of the day is always solid-- The D comes after. The cramping also seems to radiate into my hips, thighs, and back.

What does this sound like to you guys? I want to start taking an anti-anxiety drug before I go see a doctor for a lot of invasive testing. I had a teensy bit of blood on the tp a while back, but I am positive that it was because I wiped too much that day.

My grandpa had colon ca in his 80's... I have no other family history of any cancer.

Does this sound like IBS? The cramping is bad at times, and seems to get waaay worse when I am stressed. I should also add that I went through a massive breakup last summer, and my dog passed away right afterwards. That's when the mucus, etc. started.

I am beside myself-- Just seeking advice. Anything would be appreciated.

katielou80
06-12-11, 06:11
hiya im 31. i have severe health anxiety. about 3 years ago i was terrified that i had bowel cancer, i was passing blood (not in my stool) just on the toilet roll. then that stopped and i started passing lots of clear mucus. i went to the dr and he said it fine, and if you have anal fisure?? or piles then then mucus comes from them trying to repair itself! i honestly would quit worrying dude! your ok, your young. worrying is peobably not helping x

---------- Post added at 06:11 ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 ----------

oh and we have bowel cancer in my family too. my dad has ibs and gets the cramping pains. ibs can be awful. i realy dont think youve got cancer xxx

fiendclub
06-12-11, 06:34
Thank you for replying! It is making me crazy... I REALLLLY don't want to go for a colonoscopy-- I think I would probably have a breakdown. Did you get one?

I'm thinking it must be related to nerves. I Googled months ago (before I found awesome sites like this one), and discovered lots of scary stuff-- Including horror stories about colitis, Chron's, etc.

I'm pretty sure it's stress-related because none of this started until I had a huge life change last year.

katielou80
06-12-11, 06:45
ha! no i didnt! didnt need one, my mates just had one, she said it really was OK!! you wont need one !!! its cos your worrying thats all!! honestly. and PLEASE dont google. my gp says its all crap!! ive had tons of things after googling..............always always CANCER! XX

PinkRoxy
06-12-11, 19:33
fiendclub usually if you have no family history of bowel or colon cancer then most likely you wont have it. If you have other family history of the same symptoms you described even if they are older then most likely it is IBS.

I get alot of mucus too sometimes not all the time but at times and my bowel hbits are very different each time. I have had IBS for 5 years now and it does run in the family.

I would def go get checked by the gp though because they need to rule things out and then diagnose you with IBS that is what they did for me.

Anyway good luck and try not to worry as IBS is very common in this day and age.

---------- Post added at 08:33 ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 ----------

just reading your post again if your family member had bowel cancer in ther 80s then most likely you wont get it in your 20s.

fiendclub
12-12-11, 16:25
Thank you for replying. I've never really had any health problems to date-- Thank Jebus, because I'm pretty terrified of doctors. I'm scared because any testing that they do on you to diagnose IBS are pretty invasive, it seems. The thought of a digital rectal exam, let alone a colonoscopy, makes me freak out. I've tried to make an appointment with a GP, and ending up hanging up and hyperventilating on the floor of my bathroom for 20 minutes.

I feel pretty useless right now.

PinkRoxy
12-12-11, 17:57
Thats awful. I know doctors are scary. I just keep asking them that they dont think its serious aye and they usually reassure me and say that they dont think there is anything to worry about and that she will just do some tests just to make sure.

colonoscopys freak me out too and I think its the long wait for them here in NZ that scares me more but surely the NZ health system would try their hardest not to let us suffer and die and will see us for urgent attention.

My gp said if she thought I had bowel cancer she would stick me on the bed and look up my bum eeww I know that would be humiliating in itself but at least they would take immediate action.

Anyway its best to find out than not find out at all. I dont think you hav anything serious.

fiendclub
12-12-11, 21:08
Thanks. I think I'm going to go and get it checked after Christmas... I want to enjoy myself, and I won't if I am waiting for tests/ results. It just scares me so badly... I don't know how to address it. I've talked to a lot of people about it, and most of them tell me it's best to face my fears-- But how do I face them when I can't even make an appointment?