PDA

View Full Version : Worrying trip to the doctors

crystal17
06-12-11, 14:42
Hello, just have to share my experience of this morning.

I went to get a prescription of my citalopram and as soon as I walked in I realised the doctor was someone i've known since i was a kid! He was my sisters best friends dad. We said hello and I asked how his daughter was etc and he did my prescription then he looked on my notes and read about my anxiety caused by my mum having a heart attack 2 years ago at the age of 53.
I'd mentioned it to the previous doctor a few weeks before, along with the fact that I get palpitations. He suddenly looked concerned and said we should do a blood test right now, in fact he insisted and said it would help reassure me.

I've never known a doctor do a blood test, its normally the nurse! Anyway he did it there and then and took quite alot of blood and said he would fast track the results so they'd be ready in 2 days.

I'm now panic stricken, my heart has gone crazy and I'm imagining all sorts of things. He's testing for cholesterol, blood sugar, thyroid, liver, kidney and other heart-related things I've forgotten.

He stressed this was mostly to reassure me but he did look worried when he read about my mums heart attack.

Help me anyone I'm dreading the phone call from the surgery saying I have everything wrong with me :weep:

---------- Post added at 14:42 ---------- Previous post was at 14:41 ----------

Just to say I had full blood tests a year ago and everything was normal, is it likely to have changed much since then?

london
06-12-11, 15:23
doctors do blood test if it was urgent he would send you to hospital for one and get a faster reading
dont worry
god bless

nomorepanic
06-12-11, 15:26
When I had my heart attack they told my mum when she went to the docs that she needed blood tests and an ECG as we have a family of heart disease so I think it is just precaution.

He will want to make sure your cholesterol is fine but they usually do that as a fasting blood test.

Yes things can have changed in a year.

crystal17
06-12-11, 17:32
Thanks both for replying x

Nicola Ive read on here before about your heart attack, as you said its probably normal to check out other family members to be safe.

I'm just terrified of these results and what they will mean :ohmy:

Carys
06-12-11, 17:57
When you see a new doctor they often bring a new perspective to a situation and you need to welcome this as a chance to have a health 'MOT'. Based on the symptoms (palpitations etc) you have had and your mothers cardiac condition, he is being responsible and making sure that everything is being checked out to 'catch' anything before it becomes a problem (if there is anything to 'catch'). You say he 'looked worried'...remember...it is easy for us to read much more into people's facial expressions, when we are anxious, than they actually were showing. It is very important to keep an eye on cholesterol levels in cases where there could be a genetic link, and better to have that tested and deal with it now than have cardiac problems in the future. I know it is so worrying though when bloods are taken, you start imagining all sorts of things. They aren't testing to see if you have ALL of the things you listed, they are testing to see if you have any sign of any one of the things :winks:

crystal17
06-12-11, 18:29
Thanks Carys, im getting ahead of myself as I do everytime I have tests for anything.

I have such alot going on emotionally and this has just added to it, so the last thing I need now is a health issue to worry about.

Thanks for your kind words :hugs:

PinkRoxy
06-12-11, 19:26
crystal every doctor is different and because he doesnt really know you that well he prob just wanted to be extra cautious.
I know how you feel I dont like doctors like that they freak me out but I dont think he meant any harm and I'm positive your test results will come back fine.

I had a bad experience myself with a gp that I dont really see ages ago she seemed so serious and that I had something serious and it worried me so much then I went to my original one and she put my mind at ease and she was very supportive. I think it was then I had an anxiety to see different gps and I knew I had the comfort of wanting to stick to my own gp for everything unless it was an emergency and I couldnt get an appt with her.

crystal17
06-12-11, 20:23
Thanks PinkRoxy, yes gp's can come across as very serious at times! I think he was just being vigilant, but I am terrified of the results. More than that im scared of things having to change if the results are bad.