PDA

View Full Version : Terrified I'm going to get norovirus - contact with vomiting child

stick1974
07-12-11, 19:39
I'm due to go into hospital on Saturday for an operation to remove an ovarian cyst. I'm pretty anxious about this but have had some really helpful and comforting advice from people on here. I just want the op to be over now and have been trying to avoid getting ill as I really can't cope with it being cancelled and having to prepare for it again. This evening I went round to see a friend for a cup of tea. Her 2 year old seemed fine and was running around but then we went upstairs to put her in the bath. She said she had a tummy ache and was then sick quite a lot. I wasn't actually in the bathroom with her but standing outside, though the door was open. She was standing behind the door and in the bath when she was sick. I left very soon after that, washed my hands straightaway and have changed my clothes since getting home. I know you can get norovirus from inhaling particles of vomit in the air and am so worried that I have it now. Can anyone help to calm me down?

lizamoran
08-12-11, 02:36
It's unlikely that you'll get sick from that. Even if she had something that could be spread that way (not definite), it seems unlikely that the particles would get to you from the next room. Especially if she was behind the door. I don't think it works that way (though of course I don't no the intricacies of vomit particle movement capability). Try to be okay with this. Even if you get sick (which I doubt!) you can reschedule the operation for the cyst. Not the end of the world :)
Do you feel fine so far?