PDA

View Full Version : Detached After Health Anxiety Flare up

JBK
08-12-11, 08:32
I have noticed a cycle happening with my anxiety in the last two months. It starts with a classic flare up with my health anxiety. The current one is a mild rash on my abdomen that really freaked me out. After I obsessed about it for a few days that spacey, detached, unreal, scary feeling started creeping in. Then my obsession turns to that feeling alone and it starts feeding off itself. The more I obsess about the "feeling" the more intense the feeling is. Although I have read a lot about it on this forum and I know the explanation is completely logical, it is extremely difficult to rationalize it away. I am currently stuck in a foreign county because the local immigration office has lost my passport. I have been away from home for 6 weeks which adds to the difficulty. Any advice on how to break free from this cycle would be greatly appreciated.

lleksam
08-12-11, 18:43
Hey JBK,

I am exactly the same as you.

My health anxiety is about that feeling (depersonalization, derealization) I'm scared of having it and I'm always checking to see if I do have it and then I get so much anxiety about it that I get it. Only midly tho.

I'm hoping CBT will help me break the pattern.