PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram and alcohol

stefan
03-06-06, 11:34
Is it OK to drink alcohol whilst taking Citalopram?

VictorineNectorine
03-06-06, 12:53
I've been on Citalopram for 2 years and in that time i havn't had a single drink because in the leaflet that comes with them it says "do NOT drink alcohol". Recently though a doctor that i spoke to said i could in moderation and i've heard of other people drinking on them.I'm too scared to though i did drink on Prozac with no probs....damn anxiety!

tara
03-06-06, 13:47
I never drank a single drop whilst taking them, but a friend of mine was on a higher dose (20mg) and she drank like a fish, so it's up to you really and how you feel about it.

Hope this helps .Tara .

honeybee3939
03-06-06, 14:49
Hi stefan,

I have been taking Citalopram on and off now for around 8 years, i have drunk small amounts of alcohol while on them, (3 or 4 halfs of beer) but if i have too much alcohol i do suffer the next day, my anxiety is twice as bad and have learnt now not to drink too much.

hope that helps

Love Andrea
xxx

hj
03-06-06, 15:12
Hi Stefan - I have has a few glasses of wine while on 20mg - seems ok - I'm suffering with tense lump in my throat and the alcohol relaxed me and made me normal for a while (confirmed it is in my head). However I agree that the next day after a couple of glasses I have felt more anxious so I am not drinking any more at the mo. Think ok to have odd drink but perhaps makes the meds less effective?

scoobygirl2005
03-06-06, 17:22
Hi.

Its best if you ask your doctor that. Hope this helps.

Scooby2005
x x

Basha
07-06-06, 21:52
Hi;

I think it really depends on the individual. For me, my hangovers have actually improved since being on Citalopram, and I feel less anxious the next day than I used to. Mind you, I've also switched from drinking wine to vodka and I drink water after two drinks or so, so maybe that's why! I don't go crazy but I do drink enough to have a good laugh and I've been completely fine.

I'd say test the waters slowly (which is what I did). Start with half a glass one evening and see how you feel the next day. Gradually increase that to an amount your confortable with. My doc assured me it was o.k. to drink in moderation on them. I am only on 10mg citalopram, so that may make a difference too.

Try not to focus too much on expecting more anxiety than usual... I know that really helped me too.

Good luck and let me know it goes!

Tasha xx

"To do anything in this world worth doing, we must not stand back shivering and thinking of the cold and danger; but jump in, and scramble through as well as we can."
-Sydney Smith

stefan
09-06-06, 16:06
Thanks everyone for all the advice. I do have the occasional drink (beer or lager) but not in any quantity!
Take care,
Stefan.