PDA

View Full Version : I need medication!!

neowallace
09-12-11, 06:46
This is my first post on the forum, I just felt the need to share part of my journey living with anxiety and depression. I have been more on than off anti depressants in the last 9 years of my life. I have tried around 5 or 6 different types. I keep feeling the need to come off this medication to prove something to myself and others and all that happens is my anxiety comes back even stronger. My doctor has suggested I may need to remain long term on this medication. Over the last 4 weeks I have continued to take my medication and along with some CBT and help from like minded friends I am starting to feel a little better. My friend says I need to make self caring choices in my life and I believe that to be true. I hope all who are going through anxiety and depression get the help and support they need and deserve. I wish everyone who may read this all the best.:):)

Chronic911
09-12-11, 09:35
Hi neowallace. I have been on medication for over 25 years. It use to work great in the beginning but not so good anymore unfortunately. I do think if you have to take meds, the SSRI's are a better long-term solution for anxiety and panic rather than benzodiazepines but the problem with the SSRI's is that they only work really good (standalone) for only about 20% of people with GAD and PD.

The benzos do work wonderfully in the very beginning but they come with a huge price-tag after long-term use. I have become tolerant to them and have gone thru 3 nasty benzo withdrawals. Trying to come of benzos is worse that trying to kick heroin after you have taken these drugs chronically over many years.

I am also doing CBT monthly and it helps some. What meds are you currently on?

neowallace
09-12-11, 11:03
Hi Chronic911...I have only ever been on the SSRI's currently back to Prozac which seems to be the best one for me. I agree with what you say though that they only work well along with other forms of managing anxiety such as CBT and exercise for some people. I like CBT but only seem to use it when my back is really against the wall. Thanks for your reply it is good to get some feedback about medication. Wishing you all the best with your CBT..