PDA

View Full Version : What medication for panic attacks and anyone with off balance feeling !!

AngelHeart
09-12-11, 11:38
Hi all, was wondering what medication everyone takes for their anxiety/panic attacks? I really don't want to go back on ant depressents because of the side effects I get but I know theres medcation just for panic attacks. If you take it did or do you get any side effects please?

Also 8 weeks ago I had severe dizzyness that lasted a couple of days which subsided and got a little better each week but I still have an off balance feeling throughout the day that just lasts maybe a second, like if I turn my head or look at floor e.t.c

I wear hearing aids and quite often get infections so wondering if it could be caused by this or does anyone get this with anxiety? Worried I have a brain tumor :-( and its started my panic attacks again.

I have had full bloods done and everything was normal, I go the gym 3 times a week, work 4 evenings, have 3 children, and get around ( if lucky ) 5 hours sleep a night.

Over the last couple months was anxious over my eldest starting high school, worried about my 5 year old as for the last year been showing OCD behaviour which can be hard at times, my dad who I never knew or met got in touch with me saying i wasn't his, then I was , then calling my mum ( who died 6 years ago ) all names , then giving me verbal abuse ! Also my nan ( who is like a mum to me ) has been diagnosed with dementia and I am finding it hard to cope with what shes going through. So I've had a pretty few stressful months so was wondering if this could be causing this off balance feeling?

Sorry its long, hope someone can help as am really upset about it all xxxx

mjh74
09-12-11, 11:52
Hi Pauline32,

I'm going through the same as you. I've always had odd balance issues now and again, I had quite an off spell about a year ago and was referred to the hospital where I work by my GP. We have a hearing services department that put me through all sorts of balance tests, I was also referred for a brain scan which came back clear. I used to have some awful ear infections as a child and have suffered tinitus ever since so I've assumed it's all related. My balance test showed some issues and I went through weekly sessions of vestibular physiotherapy to try and 'reset' my balance. This helped a bit too.

My problem now.... I had a bad flair up of anxiety and panic attacks about 2 months ago related to work. As with anxiety, the symptoms are forever changing and this time I'm getting a different sort of dizziness which I'm assuming is all down to the anxiety. When I turn my head, it's a bit like I see things as a blurr whilst my vision catches up and it makes me feel as if I'm constantly travel sick. Light seems very bright to me also! After speaking to others and reading the posts and pages from this site, they seem to be common symptoms of anxiety. It's just a shame our bodies are a mass of muscles and nerves, all of which can be affected by anxiety!

Hope this helps!

Mark x

P.S. I was coming off Citalopram and have very slowly been dropping the dose over a few years. I was down to 10mg every other day and sadly had to go back to 20mg about 6 weeks ago. I had awful side effects again but they've now settled down and the panics are a lot lot better, almost gone infact!

AngelHeart
09-12-11, 12:05
Thank you for your answer, its so very scary. I also have Tinnitus like a heartbeat in my ear which they say is normal with hearing loss. Your balance feeling sounds exactly like am experencing, lke when you move your eyes go out of focus. I know I also do too much and dont get enough sleep but thats the way my life is at the moment. I've even been told it could be an inner ear infection called laby ( somthing lol ) which can last for weeks or months. I think maybe I will go to my dr and ask for a referal to see and ENT specilist, they cant really refuse as I have hearing loss lol

Thank you so much for your reply xx