PDA

View Full Version : NHS group work for adults who suffer from Anxiety

reddevil
03-06-06, 19:09
NHS group for adults with mental health difficulties

Hello all, thought I would share some information with you about two courses I attended last year as my doctor has referred me again as it helped a lot.

I went to the Chartley Center, which is in stafford (midlands)and took part in two 8 week courses, which were coping with anxiety and tension and relaxation.

At first I though "group work", how will i cope and what kind of people will br there but I was totaly suprised as the people were fantastic and it helped talking in groups together.

I have spoken to my doctor and we both suggested that the course would help me by doing it again.

My letter with booklet came through today and the waiting list is 3 months, which I was not expecting as it was a lot shorter last time I was referred.

It makes it clear that we are not alone with anxiety.

Not sure if you live near Stafford (midlands) but I'm sure there should be some courses in your area very simular.

INFORMATION FROM BOOKLET

The Chartley Center offers a variety of short to medium team groupwork to adults with mental health difficulties.

The groups:-
Develop coping skills
Have comprehensive handouts included
Members are asked to agree to confidentiality
Have 6-10 people per group with 2 facilitators
Have mixed gender
Focus on current difficulties
Are 7-10 sessions, weekly and of 1-2 hours
Have regular evaluation
Are mainly during the day, however some evenings are being run.

Subjects covered are:-
Assertiveness
Coping with depression
Coping with anxiety and tension
Self esteem
Balanced lifestyle
Goal setting / Problem solving
Relaxation
CBT on generalised anxiety

Chartley staff team comprises nurses, occupational therapists, occupational therapy assistants and psychology assistant.