PDA

View Full Version : just been prescribed venlafaxine as prozac wasnt working

Butterfly22
09-12-11, 15:36
I've just been prescribed venlafaxine as prozac wasnt really working for me, I was just wondering what the general feeling is out there about this drug? is it successful?

bottleblond
09-12-11, 15:37
Works great for me. :yesyes:

Butterfly22
09-12-11, 15:40
great stuff! I hope it does for me too! is it effective with OCD as well as anxiety?

wend123
26-01-12, 13:33
Butterfly, how were you when you tapered off the fluoxetine. i have been on them 10 weeks in total and the trembling has not gone so i think i may have to change. how r u gettung on with venlafaxine and how long were you on fluoxetine?

Catya
26-01-12, 15:50
I have been on prozac in the past and it made me too anxious.
Now after citalopram I've been swapped to venlafaxine. Early days though.

petram
26-01-12, 20:30
butterfly been on it 4 weeks on 37.5 mg been on 75 mg last 8 days will let u know over the next few days read my threads on it so far hun xx

Butterfly22
27-01-12, 08:21
wend, I just found that my anxiety symptoms were a bit stronger when I tapered off the fluoxetine. Best of Luck to you both with the venlafaxine, I'm finding it OK so far x

Carys
27-01-12, 09:06
HI Butterfly,

I have written my (positive) story about venlafaxine quite a few times on here, so won't repeat everything all over again, but there are lots of recent threads about it if you search.

You do need to have your BP and cholesterol occasionally checked on this medication, I am just saying this as my original doctor years ago didn't tell me/do this. As it happens last year it was checked and all was fine and unchanged.

Good luck

Catya
27-01-12, 09:12
Carys I have to say you were a huge help in eventually getting me to make my mind up to start these meds.
I'm on 150mg ( without looking back can't remember your highest dose) and although it is early days, no terrible side effects yet. So fingers crossed.

Thanks so much for your positivity. :)

Carys
27-01-12, 09:17
Hey Catya ! Hi there.

My highest dose was 37.5 x 6 daily....errr...what is that :roflmao:....225 mg divided into two doses.

I'm glad you are feeling no side effects, I certainly had none at all, but had done so on the older meds (Dothiepin being one I recall)

Catya
27-01-12, 16:19
Oh.... Brilliant reply Carys.. : )

How soon should they start to kick in properly do you think ? xx

cathycrumble
27-01-12, 16:30
I've just been prescribed venlafaxine as prozac wasnt really working for me, I was just wondering what the general feeling is out there about this drug? is it successful?

Can I ask why prozac didnt work? I am on day 22 and suffering anxiety sickness and it hasnt got rid of my phobia about having my Blood Pressure being taken. I know it is a silly fear but cant seem to stop thinking of it.

How long did you take pozac for? and what Side effects did you get? My gp is telling me to stick with them as I said it is 3 weeks now I been on them.

I have heard good stories about Venlafexine but I have heard it raises your BP and that means you would have to go get it taken more oftern but I just go to pieces if they come near me with that bp machine I am waiting fo CBT to help me.

Cathy xx

Carys
27-01-12, 16:50
How soon should they start to kick in properly do you think ?

Well, I was led to believe when I started them that it could take up to 4 - 6 weeks to be fully effective.

ang
04-12-12, 04:00
been on ven for just over a year now .it helped me.im on 225 slow release.im just considering going back to my docs,see if i can change my meds.im to overconfident,people have commented.i dont feel hundred %.i know people that have beenon it 3 yrs now .there brilliant .everyones different.is it easy to change from one med to another .i mean ssri to snri.ive heard prozac is very good.stick with the ven n good luck