PDA

View Full Version : Why does exercise help my anxiety so much?

Jack1231
09-12-11, 17:05
I remember the first time i went on a long run i was so chilled out after. It's weird. I was thinking maybe exercise increases your seratonin levels and that's what people with OCD are thought to lack. Anyone else get a similar experience?

AllInMyHead
09-12-11, 17:30
Exercise definitely makes you feel better. I think it's because it releases endorphins which give you a natural high (although I'm trawling my memory here, so the details could be sketchy :whistles:). It's also the reason why people get 'hooked' on exercise.

robinbrum
09-12-11, 19:05
I try and exercise as much as I can (although not nearly enough as I should) and although sometimes it is agony to begin with I nearly always do feel better afterwards. It certainly blows away the cobwebs and oddly I feel more energised and yet calmer at the same time. Unfortunately the effects wear off just as quickly as they come on, which is a shame.
Perhaps I should do it more often!

DisneyRunner
09-12-11, 19:11
I agree. I exercise 6 days a week in addition to marathon training. My one day off is Fridays. Those days are really hard for me.

theharvestmouse
09-12-11, 19:18
exercise is good, definitely helps combat anxiety and depression.

Paniclissx
09-12-11, 19:51
Exercise releases endorphins - the happy hormone which is said to help with anxiety, stress, depression etc :) its also a good distraction too :) x

Jack1231
13-12-11, 21:57
Glad to hear others agree. I'm pretty OCD, but i've almost got over it by being in control of my obsessions and making them positive things.
My main obsession is being happy.

ewood79
13-12-11, 23:58
How do people go with exercise and being anxious about excercising in the first place...... Sometimes does it ever stop you from excercising and how did you go about getting your mind back on track?

Cheers