PDA

View Full Version : still recovered and going strong

sammie
09-12-11, 19:32
hi

back in 2007 i had severe anxiety many of my old posts are still on here and now its hard to believe how bad i was.

i am now still fully recovered no anxiety except in normal anxious situations its hard to believe i was so bad compared to how i am today. someone once said to me when you come through this you will be much stronger i can remember thinking yeah right BUT they were right !!!!

i am now a CBT therapist and love every minute of my job and i think because i have been there i can understand my clients.

so for those doubting recovery DON'T it will come

sam x

happydylbob
09-12-11, 20:24
Thanks for that Sammie, encouraging words did you have CBT? I am currently considering it, also trying relaxation techniques.

bottleblond
09-12-11, 20:56
Sam :yahoo:

Thank you so much for sharing and well done you! :yesyes:

Lisa
xx

eva82
10-12-11, 03:02
Any tips on how you recovered? Did you have therapy? Meds? I'm so happy for you and hope that one day I can also experience recovery!! :)

blue moon
10-12-11, 05:17
Good to hear you are going strong keep it up,CBT does work
Love Petra xx:flowers:

Phill2
10-12-11, 05:57
Well done Sammie
My GP was a sufferer too and because of that she was more help than anyone else.
Understanding is a big part and if you haven't been there you have no hope of fully understanding.
I've been cured for 18 mths now after 5 yrs of hell.
Feels great doesn't it?
Phill :shades:

sammie
10-12-11, 18:10
hi

when the nightmare began i was put on seroxat then olanzapine then mirtazapine and valium none of which helped at all not even the valium ! in fact i think it made me worse. i had all sorts of tests done as the physical symptoms were so bad (lost 4 stone in 3 months) even had a test for a tumour on my adrenal gland all tests clear was told it was anxiety ( the worst my GP had ever seen)

i used claire weeks method on my own and was then put on citalopram which seemed to calm the physical side of things i then had 6 months of CBT i was not recovered at that point but still went back to uni to finish my degree it was another year before i started to really recover ( the whole recovery took 3 years)

i now know what caused or contributed to that bad episode and have changed my life in so many ways it didn't just appear out of nowhere it had been coming on for years if i am honest !

hope this helps but i think it was my own determination and support from family and friends i had on this site that got me recovered.

sam