PDA

View Full Version : Socially Anxious Husband

qtonyablackwellr
10-12-11, 08:47
My husband has SA. We were married in 1998, and I didn't know he had it when we got married. His family was all around him, and they don't have it, so for awhile things were fine. I'm quite outgoing, and enjoyed getting to know all of them. After his parents died, I was soon quite isolated. We didn't go out with anyone and only visited his sister and brother a few times a year. Whenever we came home from a visit with family, or church, he'd go take a very long nap—5 or 6 hours. Guess what? I was alone all that time. I tried to cope with that, but had little chance to make friends. In 2007, we visited my home town in Michigan, and found out that my childhood home was for sale. It's a great old house (140 years old), and I wanted to buy it. It's in a small town (6,000 residents or so) I knew a lot of people there. When we got back to Texas, where we were living, I told him I really wanted to move back home, where I would have a social life. Nothing wild, just friends. I knew I would have to find a way to cope with his SA, and he wasn't doing anything to help himself. I finally told him to get the help he needed, or I would move back home. He didn't do it, but did help me buy the childhood home. That's where I live now, and he's still back in Texas. The agreement was that when I qualify for Social Security, he would move up here. The reason for that was because he had a job there, and could contribute to my support. That job is now winding down, and it looks like he may not have it much longer. I am working two jobs and have a small pension, so I can pay the mortgage. It doesn't come out of his pocket. He helps with living expenses. He visited one time, and we had a wonderful reunion. He thought the town was beautiful, and we went to the church where I went when I was a girl. However, after church, all he wanted to do was get out of there, so we went home. (my home) That told me that his SA would always be a factor, but I realized I could have a social life here, and if he were here he wouldn't have to have one if he didn't want it. This all might just be venting. I don't know. I know I gave Texas, and this guy, a lot of years of love and support. Now, when his job is in jeopardy, he won't come up here to live. And don't believe what they tell you about jobs in Michigan. They're here. You might not have a career, but a job is pretty easy to find. Someone, please help me.

diane07
10-12-11, 08:57
Hi qtonyablackwellr

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

Anxious_gal
10-12-11, 19:08
Well done for putting yourself first.
I have general anxiety and I would never expect someone else to sacrifice their enjoyment of life to suite me.
The fact he's done nothing about his anxiety, one shows it's got a very strong hold on him and two he's not willing to try to get better.
It's ok if you feel resentful , I would too, yes he it's not his choice to have anxiety BUT it is his choice to at least try and get better to seek out help or to simply do nothing about it.
As it goes his life seems to suite him, he's comfortable where you are not, so I am happy you moved home to a place where you can have friends.
I was going to suggest you get your own social life but seems you've already went and done that.
As for your partner you need to ask him if he wants to change, because if he doses not then getting him help will be futile.
Does he want to move too?
Try and get him to have an honest conversation as it will save any future resentments etc...
you do seem very sweet though, I would love to meet someone who was willing to offer the help and support that you've offered your husband.
change is very hard and frustrating if your not seeing any willingness on his part.
so if hes able to talk with you about his fears without you being judgmental no matter how silly they may seem that could help him a lot.
it can be hard for us anxiety suffers to be honest about our anxiety due to reactions of others, it can make us feel stupid or even crazy :(