PDA

View Full Version : anxiety at work

Gaily
10-12-11, 17:45
Hi, I was diagnosed with GAD in February this year.

I have done CBT and I am also seeing a TA therapist which is really helping. I have also taken up reiki and anything else that I can do to help myself get through this.

I am a manager of a team in a very stressful job incidentally it was the job that caused my Anxiety and depression (mild). Since the diagnosis I am also taking medication citlopram 20mg and thought i was coping well.

The work this year has been hard and i have had good and bad days and have always been honest with my Boss and HR manager.

Yesterday I was actually offered money to leave the company, the person who offered it to me said that he had not discussed it with anyone however if I wanted to take him up on the offer he would then talk to the main powers that be and ask them to offer me a package.

He said this because he said he was worried about my health. (he is the HR Manager)

As you can imagine this has turned my world upside down and I don't know what to do. I don't want to leave work as I love my job and feel i have worked very hard for the last five years.

The HR manager also asked me who was looking after my health - given all the things i am doing to get better I replied I am. The conversation ended when I said he could shove his offer and that I was not going anywhere.

Any advice or help would be great

Thank you

mallan82450
10-12-11, 17:55
I'm sure I posted a reply to this . . .

medtrans1067
10-12-11, 18:27
First of all, I want to compliment you for standing up for yourself and telling him to shove it and that you were not going anywhere. Apparently, he does not have GAD or any type of anxiety, as he is not offering to help you in any other way other than offering you money to leave the company. In my opinion, if he is worried about your health, he should be asking you if there is anything that he or the company can do to help you, not trying to "brush the issue under the rug".

I for one am very proud of the steps you are taking to cope with your GAD. It is not easy and takes a lot of practice. I have GAD, panic, and depression for 18 years, and still have by no means mastered it and still have a lot to learn.

By the way, what is a TA therapist?

Keep up the good work!!!

william wallace
10-12-11, 18:30
I'm sure I posted a reply to this . . .

Perhaps a Mod deleted your reply for some reason?

Anyhoo Miss Gaily
Call me paranoid but, I very much doubt that the suggestion came from your HR manager, sounds very suspicious. I doubt that he/she would have the authority to make a suggestion like that. It's probably came from another source ie; Health and Safety Exec or a Director/Country Manager, someone with a bit more clout.

Something very similar recently happened to me and I'm now unemployed, albeit with a quite healthy bank balance:)

Gaily
10-12-11, 21:35
Thanks guys very helpfull.

Mallan - I think i managed somehow to post it twice on the forum! I saw your other post! Thank you.

Medtrans - TA Therapist is transactional Analysis stuff - its really helping at the mo.

William - I agree with you! He does not have the clout to offer what he did & I have been thinking the same... Don't think it's paranoia. Sorry to hear that it happened to you - not good...

---------- Post added at 21:35 ---------- Previous post was at 21:29 ----------

PS - Thank you medtrans for your kind words & advice. Your right he should be offering to help rather than brushing it under the rug.

william wallace
10-12-11, 21:49
Hi Gaily.
If you are suffering mental health issues, the most dangerous person to you is the Health and Safety Executive. To them Anxiety and Depression = Bonkers, likely to cause problems, get rid of them.
When I went back to work after three months sick and started driving cranes and forklifts, every time he saw me I got the 1000 yard stare. I knew it was coming.
Hated the job and the bosses so dont miss any of it other than a few workmates I was friendly with. I squeezed them for an extra couple of K on top of the usual enhanced package.
Hope you fare better:)

ciccone-hassell
10-12-11, 22:26
i no the feeling i feel as tho my boss is trying to get rid of me not through the hr dept or payouts just my pure mind games and bullying me , the no i stress bout things and they had peastered me to finally use my 2 wks paid hols i was due " which i did i had 1 off end of nov " went bk had issues on site then had this last week off had he callin wed with issures and then again last night , i feel bullyed and stressed and feel as tho even tho i have been there since 09/2007 i never been off sick " even when docs told me to i still went " i you do extras all the time , i do favors the whole lot and this is how i get paid back """" bullyin and back stabbin """" dont wanna go bk rather die 1st :( ,,, but cant cope tryin to get nother job or going down the benifit route " even tho my gp is very good i no he would put me on sick for few months

Gaily
11-12-11, 17:13
Thanks William! I think I need to get angry here forget my anxiety and kick some ass for once! The H&S person is not that bad where I work but the HR person is unfortunately! He does leave in two weeks to go off to another job so Hopefully things will be better! I'm glad things worked out for you in the end.

Hi Ciccone! I have just finished reading a great book it is called bully in sight by a guy called Tim Field. Prob get it from your library I suggest you read it as it will give you the strength to deal with this bully. Feel confident in the stuff that you are doing and keep a daily diary of all the things that have been said & what people do it will help you! hang in there!
Gaily

william wallace
11-12-11, 18:10
Go Girl:D