PDA

View Full Version : panic attacks/ anxiety

sam66
10-12-11, 18:07
I have recently been diagnosed with anxiety, panic attacks, depression and agroaphobia. Beta blockers helped with my panic attacks but citopram made life far worse so I stopped taking them, I am now thinking about going back to work after 4 months off sick but I am very fearful, any advice anyone?

nomorepanic
10-12-11, 18:08
Hi sam66

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

isthisasgdasitgets
16-01-12, 23:21
Hi Sam66,
I had time off work last year with my anx etc,
I was so nervous and fearful about going back to work I would get ready and then brick it last minute in tears.
Then one day I saw a colleagues husband out in the pub and was worried how that would look (off sick and in the pub.... which in fact was just as frightening as work to me!) and the next day just decided to brave it.

It was very hard, I was worried about breaking down and I was so worried about what my workmates would think of me, or that they would ask me loads of questions but in reality they couldn't have been nicer and so supportive. I'm not saying it's easy or still not tough, but I'm so glad I bit the bullet because otherwise I would still be frightened and hiding away at home. I'm not suggesting you should go back to work, but they might be a lot more understanding than you think and these days they do a phased return to work.

Are you getting any help from your gp? Maybe you should try the citalopram again... It took me a while to feel the benefit from my meds. They are not a cure, but do take the edge off and help me lead a "normal" life.

Hope you're doing ok....I know how frightening it can be
Take care x

saro
17-01-12, 00:38
Hi Sam.. welcome to NMP. With the right support and persistence you can help get control of this anxiety. You just need to be patience and try out many different things to reduce your stress and depression. Always here if u need a chat :)