PDA

View Full Version : Racing thoughts!

medtrans1067
11-12-11, 12:12
I woke up this morning feeling more anxious than usual. My thoughts are racing about tomorrow. It goes something like this.....My fiance will be leaving for work in the morning (not unusual, as he does hold a full time job), but due to the fact that we have only one vehicle working, I need to bring him to work in the morning (1-1/2 hours) away, say goodbye to him as he will be gone for five days (which means I will be alone with my kids for the week), drive back by myself, day off from work as my computer needs to be fixed (meaning my day going different than usual)....etc, etc. One thought leads into something else, which leads to something else, which leads to something else.

In all of my years of having anxiety, I know that they are only thoughts, but I am really afraid of how I am going to get through my week feeling the way that I do right this minute. The fact of the matter is, I keep telling myself "you did it last week, and you can do it again". But right now, that does not seem to help any. :scared15:

emmalouise1975
11-12-11, 12:33
Hi there
I know how you feel.
My hubby works long hours and I have to look after our 5 youngest kids whilst he's gone! I have to do all the shopping and school runs etc and some days my anxiety is so high I can barely leave the house. My counciller has started setting tasks for me and this week I

---------- Post added at 12:33 ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 ----------

went shopping alone for the 1st time in ages1
You have your kids there...keep thinking bout them and focus on that...it works for me....I do stuff with them and think about making them happy and it does help a bit. Sometimes my anxiety is so bad that I sit in my car until the bell goes and then run into collect them...but least I do it! Take each day at a time and everything u do give yourself a tap on the back as it is hard coping with this illness! But like you siad you did it last week so therefore you can do it again! Have you been the Drs and are you taking any meds or having any therapy to help??
Hope this helps a little but I really do know how you feel hun xxxx

medtrans1067
11-12-11, 13:39
Thanks emmalouise....Iagree with everything you have said and have said it to myself, but it always helps hearing it from someone who understands. Yes, I have been to the doctors and I am on Lexapro 30 mg daily and lorazepam p.r.n. (which I am currently taking 1 mg/day...sometime 0.5 mg in the morning and 0.5 mg in the afternoon, or 1 mg in the morning like I did this morning. I can take another 0.5 mg if I need it throughout the day). I have tried many conselors, but have not found the right one yet. This site has a CBT course that you can order. I am thinking about doing that, but would like some feedback from someone on here that has taken it (I put in a seperate post for that).

Thanks again for your response. It is always nice to have someone to talk to.

goldilockz
11-12-11, 13:47
Hi Medtrans,

I have experienced racing thoughts a lot too, and the feeling of panic or physical arousal that goes with them, even if the thoughts are pretty mundane and about day to day activities rather than anxious thoughts. It helps to do some deep breathing and really focus on the sensations that result from this breathing which takes the attention away from your mind. Also, if you can, try to stay in the present moment. After all, worrying about the future is not helping you enjoy what is here at the moment and you never know what tomorrow might bring. Try to be kind to yourself xx

medtrans1067
11-12-11, 14:37
Thanks goldilockz.....great advice. I will continue try these things you have mentioned, but as you well know, it takes a lot of practice...but you know what they say "practice makes perfect". Oh yeah, and I do forget sometimes to be kind to myself.