PDA

View Full Version : Hello all

Pipkin
11-12-11, 15:34
Hi everyone,

I joined NMP recently and thought I should introduce myself...

I have suffered with anxiety, most often anxiety about my health, for as long as I can remember, certainly since I was a young teenager, and I can honestly say that I haven't felt well for over 25 years. I'm 41, in a great relationship and have a job which I enjoy, albeit extremely high pressured. I should be happy and enjoying life but every day is a real trial and I feel like I am enduring life rather than living it. What makes it hardest for me is that I'm not the sort of person who talks about feelings and I really suffer on my own. I'm actually surprising myself by typing this!

It took me a long time to realise that I had anxiety and was having panic attacks - I always associated these with the hyperventilating you always see on TV, something which doesn't happen to me. I get palpitations (was convinced I had a heart condition), light-headed (and at its worst actually faint), hot and cold, shaky and, worst of all, just feel absolutely terrible for days, sometimes weeks, afterwards. This is on top of a huge range of symptoms affecting all parts of my body. I've had so many tests at the GP's that I can only guess what my medical records must look like and I am constantly diagnosing myself, comvinced that the doctors have missed something or don't know what they're doing.

I have never discussed this with my GP and I would really appreciate some advice as to how I can pluck up the courage to do this. Although I have no grounds to believe it, I just feel like all doctors think I'm wasting their time, preventing them from dealing with people who really are ill.

Reading the posts on here and realising that there are so many people who feel just as I do has been a revelation. Thanks to everyone who participates in this site. For the first time, I don't feel like I'm going it alone.

P

nomorepanic
11-12-11, 15:36
Hi Pipkin

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

emmalouise1975
11-12-11, 15:44
Hi Pipkin
I recommend you pluck up the courage and tell your Dr, thats what they are there for!
And hopefully, they can put you in the right direction and on the Rd to recovery.
I too suffer similar symptoms to you...and think I have an underlying herat problem due to my palps which I've had since I was 17 (I'm 36 now) my Dr has just prescribed me Beta Blockers which I think maybe working as I've had no palps on them but am still thinking maybe I've just had no palps this week!
Anyway I too am new to this site and am finding it comforting to know that there are other people suffering the same as me.
Next week I have an initial appointment with a pyshchiatrist (however u spell it) and am hoping to start CBT soon.
Take care from Emma

seabreeze
11-12-11, 19:43
Hi Pipkin, i am new to the site and like you had many tests but still feel doctors may be missing something. The palpitations are really awful things, i used to suffer from them in my chest frequently but now seem to get them in my stomach. I would also dread to see what my medical records look like. Frances