PDA

View Full Version : Weight Side Effects

tulip123
04-06-06, 15:00
Just wanted to pick your brains. I'm on antidepressants at the moment and my weight has been zooming up since taking them a year ago. I don't fit into any of my old clothes. People close to me are starting to point the finger. My life style hasn't changed much since taking them - if anything I have become more healthy. The doctor is not having any of it though. Has anyone out there had similar problems as weight becoming a side effect? Or is it just the oncoming of middleage :-)

Tulip

Alexandra
04-06-06, 16:18
Hi,

Yes it has happened with me too so i joined Weight Watchers online & the weight is comming off nicely now.

Alex

Many People Will Walk
In & Out Of Your Life
But Only True Friends
Will Leave Footprints
In Your Heart

Two heads
04-06-06, 21:07
Maybe its because you are feeling that bit calmer now and its just relaxing thats doing it.I know i have lost alot if weight and i have to say its drop over the last few months and i have been on ads for 3months.So it would be interesting to see if i regain that weight when i start to feel back to normal.Try not to worryxx

Karen
04-06-06, 21:39
Hi Tulip

This is a common side effect of antidepressants, although some appear worse than others. Different people also react differently to medication.

Weight gain on meds
weight gain (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3045)
Lexapro and Weight Gain (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5508)
Weight Gain and Citalopram (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6397)
SSRI's and weight gain (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6805)

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

fairyoftime
09-06-06, 04:13
to counter weight gain my doctor prescribed welbutrin it worked!!!

arethaire
11-06-06, 21:14
Hi Tulip

I took seroxat for about a year, 3 yrs ago & I gained quite a lot of weight. What antidpressants are you taking?

Cath x

tulip123
11-06-06, 22:09
Anafranil. It is one of the older ones I am told.

Tulip

EmmaJane
11-06-06, 23:00
Hi

I have gained a couple stone while being on Prozac, for 18 months and still gaining. lol

Feel free to PM me, if you want to talk.

Emma xx

Keep focused, keep positive.

Lottie32
16-06-06, 21:26
Hi

I have been on Prozac now for just about two years, and am in the process of coming off it.

Weight gain can be a side effect for SOME people, although this doesn't happen to everybody who takes it. Very simply, fluoxetine slow the metabolism, which can explain why you put on more weight, even though you are not eating any more.

I feel so much better for having taken my course, that it's made the weight gain (nearly) bearable!

I'm not going to divulge how much I've put on. But it's a sizeable amount. And I've had to buy some new clothes.

Mind you as Amanda, my CBT therapist said - better fat and happy than thin and alive! (Before anybody says this isn't very professional, can I just say she has played a huge part in getting me better, we get on very well, and I have been seeing her for 4 years nearly, so she knows exactly what I will laugh at)

The good news is that EVERYBODY that I have spoken to, who has taken prozac and put on weight have ALL lost it once they have stopped taking the tablets.

I'm in the process of coming off mine (3 a week at the minute, so will keep you informed). Before I found some people who had been on it and come off it, I threw all my old thin clothes away, so how cross will I be if the weight does drop off, and I end up with a wardrobe full of clothes two sizes too big!! (Good job I'm quite handy with a sewing machine - after all it's easier to take in than let out)

Just be careful what you eat, make sure you watch your portion sizes and eat healthily to avoid putting on too much.

Love

Charlie

Nemesis - Rita QofS I JFDI'd THEM!!!!!!

tulip123
17-06-06, 09:50
Yes, I had to buy some new clothes too. I asked my new doctor that it was high to reduce my dose (anafrananil). He told me that as this medication was quite old, it would become highly addictive after a few years. He didn't know why it was perscribed in the first place. I am now down to 1 pill per day. So far so good. I will see if it does anything to my weight, which I have been worrying about.

Tulip

Silly Blonde
19-06-06, 09:26
Hi there - I've been on mirtazapine for about 18 months and the weight piled on at first. Mind you - I was feeling constantly sick when I was first diagnosed and so didn;t eat for about 2 months - so the weight gain actually helped me!!

It did slow down after a while - I was a size 8 and now I'm a happy size 12. I'm recently married and I did worry what I'd look like in my dress, but quickly realised that wedding dresses look better if you have a few curves here and there!!!

I bought loads of new clothes and have sent all my teeny tiny ones to the charity shop. I actually feel "stronger" being a little bigger - and I'm just hoping that I don't lose too much when I finish coming off the meds!

Take care

SB xx

Gibbles
22-06-06, 08:46
Ive been on Citalopram -20mg a day since Oct '05, and my weight has shot up from 10st 2 - 12st 3!!!!!!

Being 5'6 every pound shows, so this was terrible to me.

In fact its got me so narked that I'd rather try and stave off the depression with exercise and happy foods than stay on the tablets

I want to meet a nice woman, but the way I feel about myself after the weight gain is doing me no favours at all.

Ive been off the tablets 16 days now, and every time I feel bad, I hit the gym and try and work my way through it, natural endorphins are helping me immensely. Last night I did an hours boxing circuit training, then went for a 5km run. Hard work, but the ahievement I feel today is fantastic

Watch this space (hopefully in the waist of my jeans :D)

Two heads
23-06-06, 10:24
Glad your doing well gibbs!You keep up the good work sweet.
You are brave to stop the meds and go it alone,i known i couldet at the moment.
You will loose the weight im sure.Good luckxxxx

Gibbles
23-06-06, 11:21
I shall keep you all informed of my progress! :D

Impending death judging by the intensity of the Boxercise etc lol

I just would rather try and fight this without chemicals, the side effects were making me extremely dopey and clumsy [B)]

Tulip: First port of call, try not to eat any Carbs after 5pm. Your body takes up to 4 hours to turn these carbs into usable energy, by which time its pretty much bedtime, at which point your body stores this unused energy as fat [:O] So that will help somewhat

You could also try "The South Beach Diet", not a diet so much as a healthier eating plan, designed for heart patients to lower cholesterol, it had the side effect of patients losing weight! And you can eat plenty [8)]

Link for it
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0755311302/qid=1151058056/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/202-6282739-1474229

Hope this helps [:I]

Two heads
23-06-06, 19:54
I known what you mean about feeling dopey and clumsy!
Yes thats the way to go,the opposite to us slim jims[8D]
We are the fat fast and thin fast clubsxx

Gibbles
26-06-06, 12:26
Fat fast and thin fast [:O]

[:P][:P][:P]

Ah well, cant be too minging as I kissed quite a cheeky lady this weekend while down visiting friends in London [8)]

Two heads
26-06-06, 17:13
Im sure you are lovely gibbs you sound great!Just keep being possitve about your weight and you will be just fine sweet.:Dxxx

Gibbles
26-06-06, 17:20
Just gotta keep working hard, Im not particularly big or anything, just stockier now, just want to be in fighting form like I was back in August [8)]

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/131/happy28ep.jpg [:P]

Two heads
26-06-06, 18:45
Yes very nice:)