PDA

View Full Version : Reassurance

medtrans1067
13-12-11, 12:49
I need reassurance (seeking outside approval) that what I am doing is "normal" for people with anxiety. I know, I know, reassurance is part of the disease.

Woke up with anxiety, did deep breathing for awhile, and then took 0.5 mg of lorazepam? Seems like I am always questioning if I should take a "pill" or just try to get through it on my own. Even though I take a "pill", I still do deep breathing and other coping skills. Am I doing the right thing?

Also, when I am feeling anxious, I am periodically looking for a "quick fix". Looking things up on the internet to make sure what I am feeling is "okay", reading about my medication (making sure I am taking it correctly and is it okay to take), trying to find an outside source to "get rid of it". Rationally, I know that it is only with my hard work that I will get through it, there is no "magic cure". However, when I feel these things, it is hard to "get back on track". However, at other time, I am able to do just fine on my own, which I must say works much better.

Anyway, any "reassurance" anyone would like to give me is appreciated.

mallan82450
13-12-11, 13:00
You're not alone, I do it (and have done it) for about 4 months now. I believe it is kind of coping strategy. I have to admit it did/has become sort of obsessive but either way I have found it very therapeutic! This website has, at times, saved my life. If it's making you feel better then I say there is nothing wrong with it, however if it is fuelling your anxiety then it's prob not such a good idea. Maybe try and whittle down other strategies that may help you cope that don't involve Dr. Google. Have you tried CBT, have my first session on Friday and have been told this will help me.

With regards to taking 'a pill' to get you through, I tend to only use them when I really, really feel I can't cope. I had to have one yesterday because I was really panicking but I am currently in the early days of taking Fluoxetine so I have suffering high anxiety at the minute. I had to take a diazepam and felt like such a failure but like my partner said "If it helped you at the time then it was worth it, if you had a migraine you take some medication". He's right.

Don't be too hard on yourself.

Take Care.

:)

NoPoet
13-12-11, 13:00
Hi, what you need to do is turn your questions around.

Instead of asking, "Is it ok to seek support when I am struggling," ask yourself "Why wouldn't someone seek support when they need it?"

Trust me, I and many people here are going through something similar to you and asking the same questions. If someone could introduce a "quick fix" that worked permanently and had no side effects, they would probably be the richest person in the world.

The thing we ALL need to do is take a few deep breaths and think more about a long-term fix, something that will stay with us forever. That comes from within ourselves. I am the WORST person for seeking outside reassurance but somehow, no matter how much I get, it never seems to be enough. The only thing that ever will be enough is when we learn - after much effort and probably many setbacks over a fairly long period of time - to TRUST OURSELVES. If we rely too much on outside help, it means we do not trust in ourselves or believe our own assurances.

Thing is, if we eventually learn to bolster ourselves, we don't need so much support from others. Think of it as building stronger foundations for yourself. Builders don't finish a house overnight, or if they do it would be a crap one that you would be scared to set foot inside in case it fell on you. The foundations are THE MOST IMPORTANT thing, but it is slow going and painstaking, and it's frustrating that we don't see the house taking shape for a long time; but it's better that than rush the job and have the whole thing come down during the first storm.

medtrans1067
13-12-11, 13:23
You're not alone, I do it (and have done it) for about 4 months now. I believe it is kind of coping strategy. I have to admit it did/has become sort of obsessive but either way I have found it very therapeutic! This website has, at times, saved my life. If it's making you feel better then I say there is nothing wrong with it, however if it is fuelling your anxiety then it's prob not such a good idea. Maybe try and whittle down other strategies that may help you cope that don't involve Dr. Google. Have you tried CBT, have my first session on Friday and have been told this will help me.

With regards to taking 'a pill' to get you through, I tend to only use them when I really, really feel I can't cope. I had to have one yesterday because I was really panicking but I am currently in the early days of taking Fluoxetine so I have suffering high anxiety at the minute. I had to take a diazepam and felt like such a failure but like my partner said "If it helped you at the time then it was worth it, if you had a migraine you take some medication". He's right.

Don't be too hard on yourself.

Take Care.

:)

I just ordered the CBT program here on the website and have not started it yet. I have seen numerous therapists, with only one working with me on CBT, and she is no longer in our area. Too bad, because we set up goals that I was to meet and work on. Unfortunately, there is no one else in our area that I know of who does this, so I figured "what the heck"....why not give it a try. I am sure some of it sill be repititious, but relearning is never a bad thing.

Thanks for you advice.

---------- Post added at 08:23 ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 ----------

Hi, what you need to do is turn your questions around.

Instead of asking, "Is it ok to seek support when I am struggling," ask yourself "Why wouldn't someone seek support when they need it?"

Trust me, I and many people here are going through something similar to you and asking the same questions. If someone could introduce a "quick fix" that worked permanently and had no side effects, they would probably be the richest person in the world.

The thing we ALL need to do is take a few deep breaths and think more about a long-term fix, something that will stay with us forever. That comes from within ourselves. I am the WORST person for seeking outside reassurance but somehow, no matter how much I get, it never seems to be enough. The only thing that ever will be enough is when we learn - after much effort and probably many setbacks over a fairly long period of time - to TRUST OURSELVES. If we rely too much on outside help, it means we do not trust in ourselves or believe our own assurances.

Thing is, if we eventually learn to bolster ourselves, we don't need so much support from others. Think of it as building stronger foundations for yourself. Builders don't finish a house overnight, or if they do it would be a crap one that you would be scared to set foot inside in case it fell on you. The foundations are THE MOST IMPORTANT thing, but it is slow going and painstaking, and it's frustrating that we don't see the house taking shape for a long time; but it's better that than rush the job and have the whole thing come down during the first storm.

Thank you for your advice and response. I have printed out what you have said and will read it frequently as you have explained things so well and I agree with your philosophy. Patience, hard work, and building a foundation will get me where I "know" I can be. Your are an angle..:bighug1: