PDA

View Full Version : Silly question probably....

crystal17
13-12-11, 20:46
Hi this sounds ridiculous but are you more likely to develop a mental illness if you fear getting one? Like if I panic and worry that one day I might have bipolar disorder am I more likely to have it?
Does anyone know of any evidence either way?

theharvestmouse
13-12-11, 21:31
As far as I'm aware it does not make a difference, in regards to illnesses, one can fear getting cancer and the fear alone does not make you get it. I would think its the same with a disorder. So worrying should not change whether you will develop something or not.

I have no evidence but I doubt there is evidence out there to suggest the opposite.

cuppycake
13-12-11, 21:36
Well, there's a difference between making yourself believe you have a mental illness, and actually developing it. I get scared that I will develop schizophrenia, I've convinced myself I do have it in the past, but the fact is, I haven't developed it, I just worry.

crystal17
13-12-11, 22:02
Thanks both, yes you're probably right. Just annoying as all week ive been worrying about my blood test results and they've come back normal today, and I felt happy for about an hour, then these worries started creeping in about developing all sorts of emotional problems rather than physical. One thing after another...