PDA

View Full Version : How do you know if you have a blood clot?

pinkpiglet
14-12-11, 02:47
Hi there! havent posted on here for quite some time but here goes....
I knocked my lower shin on some furniture over a week ago, it bruised immediately and was quite sore for a day or 2. The bruise is still there but faded some what. Tonight I have just felt a wierd sort of pain in my upper leg about 30cm directly up from the bruise. It felt as if something was moving up. Im now frightened that this could be a blood clot moving up my body from the bruise. Im on nights so Im awake and thinking about this. How would I know if this was a blood clot??

Andromeda
14-12-11, 02:49
do you have any swelling or redness? shortness of breath? :hugs:

pinkpiglet
14-12-11, 02:53
im always short of breath (an anxiety symptom that im afraid never leaves) :(
Cannot see any redness but my ankle was swollen earlier (only just occurred to me now) :(

x

Andromeda
14-12-11, 03:01
Although I'm not a doctor, I'm fairly sure it would be your leg that swells rather than your ankle.
Also, redness is common in symptomatic blot clots so i really do think your symptoms would be more severe if the pain was due to a clot.

It's very easy to piece all our symptoms together to create the outcome we think is right in our heads, it's very rare that we are right.
The pain could be due to muscle fatigue/many other non-threatening reasons which are far more likely than a clot.

Stay calm, try your best to not think about it (i know, easier said than done) and if anything changes, see your GP :flowers:

pinkpiglet
14-12-11, 03:06
Thankyou Andomeda!

Im trying to think logically and tell myself that its just due to me been tired and sat for long hours. Im going to put my mind to something else!! :/

Andromeda
14-12-11, 03:15
I worry about DVT myself a lot as i know someone who developed clots so you aren't alone. It's all a game of probability, the likelihood of having something life threatening, you just have to remind yourself to not jump to conclusions as chances are it's nothing serious.

I've always been told that if something is seriously wrong, the last thing you would be able to do is sit and worry/debate about it which i believe to be very true!

Sitting for long hours will definitely cause your leg muscles to cramp up so there is your diagnosis! I recommend doing small leg exercises if you're sat for long periods of time, such as drawing the alphabet out with your feet while sat down or pressing the balls of your feet down hard against the floor. Keeps the blood flowing in the legs.

You'll be fine :hugs:

amandaj
14-12-11, 08:28
i unfort did have 2 blood clots last year , i didnt feel like anything was moving up, i had the worse pain ever in my side and chest, i couldnt hardly walk with it i was also coughing up blood and my leg was very swollen ,it doesnt sound like anything bad but always best to get reassurance at least from a dr take care amanda xx