PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question leg pain

Neuroticgal
14-12-11, 07:12
Hi all, I am new to this site. I spent a while reading through before deciding to join and now my next step my first post.

I have been labelled in the past as a hypochondriac but it's only in recent months that it has began taking over my life and I now realise it could be health anxiety. I am on citalopram for depression and also have OCD I have had therapy for these.

It is now a constant worry about my health and others that bothers me. I have recently and am now suffering with a bad leg I will try to elaborate.

I have a constant ache or feeling that I need to stretch my left leg, I get shooting pains around my knee and feel discomfort there sonetimes like a pressure. I get tingling in my leg and what feels like pain in the bones.

Unfortunately with my OCD comes an obsession to google and I have scared myself and now thinking I should get an X-ray done. My right leg is fine I occasionally get pains in it but nothing like the constant ache of my left leg.

I read about muscle tension but this don't seem to ease even when I relax, when I do distract myself if I get a shooting pain I begin to worry again.

Anyway that is my introduction I hope some of you can help and I hope I can help some of you too

Neuroticgal x

Dazza
14-12-11, 08:45
I've had this.... it can often come from a problem in your spine. it's the case for me. apparently two parts of my spine (vertebrae) as too close, and cause irritation to the nerves sometimes, which results in pain and numbness in my legs... it is mostly left side but can affect both sides at different times.

If you're really worried, ask for x-ray and ultrasound to set your mind at ease. :)

MandySlade
14-12-11, 08:52
There are a TON of very non serious problems that could be causing this. Muscle fatigue, pulled or strained muscle or tendon, bursitis (which I have), etc. I would think of something along those lines or a joint issue. Do you run? Do you do any heavy lifting that requires strain on your knees? How long has this been going on? If it's been less than a couple weeks I would wait and see how it goes, unless of course it becomes severe. Sometimes even the simplest injuries can hurt a great deal and some parts of the body just take a long time to heal. Knees are a super common injury location and it doesn't have to be a specific injury "event". Repetitive stress injuries can sneak up on you that way. Think of "tennis elbow" for instance.

Neuroticgal
14-12-11, 09:10
Thank you for taking time to reply. As my name suggests I really do feel neurotic, I have the doctors soon and am going to ask for a referrel for x ray our private hospital does them same day. I am now getting a weird pain in my left elbow?! Can't ask to have that scanned. I read about multi focal sarcoma and am scared I have this it's cancer in more then one bone at once. Got to stay off google as if I wasn't scared enough before now I am so scared :((

Dazza
14-12-11, 09:14
Thank you for taking time to reply. As my name suggests I really do feel neurotic, I have the doctors soon and am going to ask for a referrel for x ray our private hospital does them same day. I am now getting a weird pain in my left elbow?! Can't ask to have that scanned. I read about multi focal sarcoma and am scared I have this it's cancer in more then one bone at once. Got to stay off google as if I wasn't scared enough before now I am so scared :((

As well as my leg pains, I also get arm, hand and finger pain. A doctor checked me out and told me it's coming from neck tension. Which I believe.

My body gets lots of aches and pains, and I'm guessing most of them come from tension due to anxiety. or also what my doctor called 'conversion' whereby out anxious minds can also make very real symptoms. It's true that I now no longer get some symptoms, they've been replaced with other ones. It's a constant battle to keep my mind sane sometimes. :)

Neuroticgal
14-12-11, 10:26
Ok so I been to the doctors and told him I wanted to be reffered for a scan he thinks I should see a consultant about it but I explained my health anxieties and he has reffered me for a X-ray he has put the area to be scanned is my left knee as he said they wouldn't do a whole leg scan. The pain is mainly around my knee but I do get pain in other parts of my leg. I am getting scanned this afternoon feeling worried about if they find anything or if they miss something as not all my leg being scanned??

Neuroticgal
14-12-11, 15:26
Well had X-ray of my knee now got to wait for results so scared