PDA

View Full Version : The cure for anxiety

W.I.F.T.S.
05-06-06, 11:26
I'm reading a book at the moment called something like 'The Cure for anxiety: an 8 step programme'. It is quite interesting and mentions Claire Weekes quite a lot.

I've only just started reading it, but I've learned already that I don't have Generalised Anxiety Disorder (GAD) as I previously thought, but Agorophobia/Panic Disorder. I am able to leave the house, but I hate going far and I need people around me that I trust quite a lot. The problem that I have with it is that I don't even feel especially safe when I'm at home.

The book says that the way to beat fear is to act like a normal person, don't avoid things and to go towards the fear rather than run away from it. I know that this is true because I've felt so elated and free when I've gone towards things that scare me and sailed through them easily. It's just so frustrating for me that I can do that and then the next time it's like I'd never done it at all. I guess the point is to just keep going for it. Things are very rarely as bad as you think that they are going to be.

I think the symptoms are much worse than the thing that causes them. I get worked up about driving or whatever and the sweating palms, shallow breath, racing heart and feeling of nausea is horrendous, but the actual driving itself isn't really too bad.

Most of the time by body is really tense and achy. I'm learning (very slowly) to make time to proactively relax with candles, music, swimming, sauna, jacuzzi and it's making a difference already. It is difficult because you start to relax and it feels so alien to you and you worry about letting your guard down and it causes you to be anxious again, but i think that you just have to perservere.

It also says that people with anxiety disorder actually cope really well in a crisis because they are the only people that are always ready for it!!

Another important thing is to accept how things are and to go with the flow. That doesn't necessarily mean to be passive, but to not be so resistant to things. To look for the positive spin, to let go of needing to be in control.

I'll keep you up to date with how I get on with the book.

Ships in harbour are safe..but that's not what ships were built for.

Paddington
05-06-06, 12:21
wow 'wish'.where did you get the book from?You sound exactly like me!!I read this with my head nodding upand down like a nodding dog[lol]i am the same with the driving and everything ,the need to have trusted people with me if i go out etc WOW!I would love to read it ,see if it can help me too!i do hope it helps you 'wish' i truely do.Love Mary-Rose.xxxxxxxxxxxxx

we are all in the same boat and can guide each other ashore

W.I.F.T.S.
06-06-06, 11:00
Here's a link with details of the book. It can be a bit science-y and when it started talking about different parts of the brain i started panicking (!), but the things that it is saying basically reaffirms what I have started to realise myself.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0471464872/qid=1149582955/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl/202-7920243-8362244

Paddington
06-06-06, 11:19
thanks wish,will check itout[just skip the brain part:) ]love mary-rose.xxxxxxxxxxx

we are all in the same boat and can guide each other ashore

panicdiva
06-06-06, 22:18
Hi Wish,

It's just so frustrating for me that I can do that and then the next time it's like I'd never done it at all.

I can totally relate to that bit - that's what really gets me down. Sometimes I really get the bit about just facing your fear & when you get to the other side the fear just goes! A great feeling! But other times I just don't get it & I just can't seem to be able to face the fear. It really is very frustrating. However, more than likely, if we keep on doing it - eventually the times that we can't do it will get less & less until one day we will realise that we are doing the things we never thought we would do again - without fear or anxiety! Think that is the key - just that my impatient side wants to be able to do things withought fear - NOW!!!

W.I.F.T.S.
07-06-06, 12:36
I sometimes think that I feel the way that I do because I'm not a very science-y person. I don't really get how the planet and the solar system and the human body works. I mean, I am quite bright and I do pretty much understand it, but I'm in total awe of it.

I spend time thinking things like 'Well, we're actually stood on the side of the earth at the moment and it's only gravity keeping us here' and 'I've got the whole world underneath my feet'. I think about what is below planet earth, infinity? What would happen if the planet just fell like a stone?

I think about what's keeping me alive. I'm daunted by the prospect of having kids.

I think a science-y person would accept those things or would be inquisitive about them in a positive way. I just feel overwhelmed and overawed. I hate seeing panoramic views because it reminds me of the planet. I don't like open spaces for the same reason and I don't like going away from home because I think of where i am on the globe.

I think 'how can I ever get better?', 'how can I forget these things that I've realised?'

I guess the answer is that you don't forget them, you just have to accept them and then they become a lot less powerful.

On a sunny day like today, I feel like I can do anything, but if it's overcast my mood is very low. I know that I can be very suggestible and susceptible to very slight positive or negative influences and, I suppose that is why, if I can fill my life with positive things I can go really far.

Daisybun
07-06-06, 15:54
Hi Wish, I've read Claire Weeks books too, I've read some interesting info on anxiety sites about the scoence of it all and it makes perfect sense - I have overcome anxiety before using these methods, but obviously they have not been ingrained into my thought patterns and i keep reverting back to type! I have to keep going over and over it and trying to make it part of my everyday life to accept, float and let time pass

Take care
Daisybun

'This too will pass'