PDA

View Full Version : I'm Really Scared To Take My Propranolol

KatrineMorgan
14-12-11, 18:50
I'm so scared to take it, i've been given it tonight and i'm really worried i'll get dizzy and not be able to look after my son.. can someone please give me experiences with dizziness and general experiences, would really help.. thanks xx

pinkdove
14-12-11, 18:55
Hi i have taken propanolol, and it has just calmed me down, it is a beta blocker, i'm sure your dr has told you what dose to take, but if you are worried why not try a dose when your son is settled for the night, i have had no problems with them. good luck and welcome to nmp x

KatrineMorgan
14-12-11, 18:58
i'm just worried i'll go very light headed and dizzy straight away because i was told they have an instantaneous effect.

medtrans1067
14-12-11, 18:59
I have never been on propranolol, but can tell you from my experience that when I was put on a medication for depression/anxiety, I did not want to take it either. Decided to take it, and after the first pill I immediately thought I was having side effects because I read all the side effect warnings of the medication and talked myself right into having them. I am taking lorazepam (which is an anti-anxiety narcotic) and this helps me to relax and I do not feel dizzy. This is not the same medixation, so I am not going to tell you that it will not affect you. I am sure there is someone on here who takes that medication and can perhaps guide you in the right direction. What did you doctor tell you? Hang in there!!

KatrineMorgan
14-12-11, 19:02
My doctor didn't tell me that i'd get dizzy easily with them he told em it's a possibility, but the pharmacist told me it was more than likely, and that i could end up with a slow heart rate if not taken at the right time, which has put me in a right state after the anxiety i was having today! so i really need a little support to talk myself into taking it!

sickandtired
14-12-11, 19:06
I was given 30 mg of propranolol.....to begin with i had to build dose up 10mg 1st week,20mg 2nd week etc

Unfortuantely it didnt work at all for me and I didnt feel any calmer.I am now taking anti depressants.I was told I could carry on with the propranolol as 30 mg was a very low dose.
I really dont think you,ll be effected badly from 10 mg,so perhaps if you build it up to the recommended dose,you should be fine.
I have 3 children,youngest is 9

KatrineMorgan
14-12-11, 19:07
i'm on 40mg :S. and wasn't told to build it up,

sickandtired
14-12-11, 19:13
Im on tablets for blood pressure though,so maybe thats why i was told to build it up.

mallan82450
14-12-11, 19:14
You will be absolutely fine! They will help you so much - I passed my driving test on them. :yesyes:

KatrineMorgan
14-12-11, 19:28
Really?? no dizziness?? i'm hoping if i take it i stop feeling sick too, lol!

---------- Post added at 19:28 ---------- Previous post was at 19:16 ----------

i go to take it then talk myself out of taking it!!!

mallan82450
14-12-11, 19:40
Yes passed my driving test with one minor - I take them x3 a day along with Prozac and I'm a teacher so I look after 33 children while on these meds. You'll be fine. :yesyes:

KatrineMorgan
14-12-11, 19:50
So No Dizziness>??

mallan82450
14-12-11, 20:13
I can only comment on MY experience and I didn't get any dizziness. That's not to say others don't. :)

KatrineMorgan
14-12-11, 20:27
okay, helped a lot thank you :)

mallan82450
14-12-11, 20:33
Let us know how you get on :)

Dnvgraphics2k12
14-12-11, 21:04
The side effects i got when taken them for the first time was cold hands and feet i was also scared to death to take them but i knew that they would make me feel better soon and they did a wonderful job hang in there :) x

KatrineMorgan
14-12-11, 21:11
Took half at a time.. no idea what i was worried about!!!

mallan82450
14-12-11, 21:37
I'm so pleased! They will really help you :)

You're very courageous. Well done :D

Dnvgraphics2k12
14-12-11, 23:31
Took half at a time.. no idea what i was worried about!!!

Your fine :) they will help a ton trust me :) x

milkcarton
15-12-11, 11:01
I'm on 20mg, was up at 80mg when I started them but felt too tired and dizzy. 20mg is managable and it also helps with my panic, I do get the odd dizziness but i've always suffered with that so I take no notice that it is the medication causing my light head. It's a love or hate method of medication for anxiety, same as Citalopram (which I hate and only stuck out 7 days of)

KatrineMorgan
16-12-11, 11:56
i've had to start taking half of my tabet in the morning then haf in the evening as it wears off wy to quick, but it does help sooo much, and i don't know whether i'm dizzy or tired because i have been quite poorly lately!

---------- Post added at 11:56 ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 ----------

I'm on 20mg, was up at 80mg when I started them but felt too tired and dizzy. 20mg is managable and it also helps with my panic, I do get the odd dizziness but i've always suffered with that so I take no notice that it is the medication causing my light head. It's a love or hate method of medication for anxiety, same as Citalopram (which I hate and only stuck out 7 days of)

i took citalopram and it didn't help my axiety at all! so they put me on fluoxetine. now i feel a lot better i can see how the tablets really do help :)

mallan82450
16-12-11, 12:15
How long have you been on fluoxetine? :)