PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol

MaryMac
16-12-11, 11:24
Hi. :) Just a wee question, I've never been drunk my entire life, I'm 29. I've tried sips of booze but I just never like the taste of it and I don't like not being in control, plus the thought of a hangover is enough to put me off, plus I try to think of the health benefits. However, my anxiety has been overwhelming the past few weeks and I feel like I could really go a glass of wine to help with it! I don't want to start drinking but do you think having the odd glass of wine would help with the anxiety? I don't particularly like wine either mind you hahah. x

amandaj
16-12-11, 11:38
i started with the odd glass too control my anxiety, only 1 turned to 2 and so on its a very slippery road to get on i wouldnt have the 1 if i could turn back time it really doesnt help
amandaxx

Andromeda
16-12-11, 11:40
I think most people are split on the alcohol thing.

I personally don't think anything is wrong with a glass of wine in moderation with a meal or socially as long as you're under no illusion about it's effectiveness. It's not going to cure you.

It's still a depressant and although it can relax your nervous system in the short term, the long term effects can make your anxiety worse.

If you're choice to drink is because you think it will make your anxiety better - my advice is that's a bad idea. There are many natural ways to help your symptoms such as exercise which have a higher success rate. Alcohol can quickly turn into a problem.

I myself don't drink and noticed in the early stages of my GAD, if i did drink, it wouldn't be worth it. But that's just me.

:hugs: