PDA

View Full Version : Hello - I'm New :-)

tomewer
16-12-11, 16:13
Hi all,

My name's Tom and I'm brand new to the forum. I used to suffer from pretty horrible panic attacks (with anxiety to boot), and it got to a point where I nearly gave up.

However, I realized that I needed to make a decision between (a) living the rest of my life in such a way or (b) beating it, and I chose the second option fortunately.

I'm here to see if I can help anyone.

Cheers!

Tom :)

nomorepanic
16-12-11, 16:15
Hi tomewer

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

sickandtired
16-12-11, 16:42
Hi Tom
I suffered from panic attacks a few years ago and I ignored it and it has now resurfaced....with a vengence.I went to my doctors a few weeks ago on the verge of what I can only imagine is a breakdown.
Can I ask you some questions please?
Did you get well using meds? which ones? How did you cope with side effects?
Did you have social phobia? or OCD?
Did you try CBT and did it work?
Did you have a bout of PA's followed by anxiety for months that eventually died down (by avoiding triggers?)
Which has helped you the most?

sorry,I know its alot,lol

Foxtrot
16-12-11, 17:11
Hi Tom

Welcome to the forum. I'm new too so welcome.....

I think you're showing the first signs of actually trying to get over your anxiety and panic attacks by refusing to let it affect your life in such a big way. Well done for that.

I suffered an incident which left me with anxiety and panic attacks. I have suffered from mild depression for years but being managed by citaloprim. It's been a slow progress for me but, compared to some of the other members I feel as if I have been very lucky somehow. I've now started to concentrate of what I can do rather than what I'm frightened to do and it really has helped.

I've been prescribed librium from the doctor and am just about to finish the course. I feel this has helped me to put things into perspective simply by taking the edge of the anxiety. If I'm not worried about being anxious I can actually concentrate on trying to face my fears.......if that makes sense.

I'm hoping I've turned the corner now but you never know. I can have good days and then something happens and I feel anxious again. I like your attitude though and I think with that way of thinking you have an excellent chance of success.

The forum has great information and lovely people. I wish you all the best and hopefully will get a chance to chat at some point.

Best wishes
Foxtrot

tomewer
20-12-11, 17:06
Hi Tom
I suffered from panic attacks a few years ago and I ignored it and it has now resurfaced....with a vengence.I went to my doctors a few weeks ago on the verge of what I can only imagine is a breakdown.
Can I ask you some questions please?
Did you get well using meds? which ones? How did you cope with side effects?
Did you have social phobia? or OCD?
Did you try CBT and did it work?
Did you have a bout of PA's followed by anxiety for months that eventually died down (by avoiding triggers?)
Which has helped you the most?

sorry,I know its alot,lol

Hey :-)

I used Citalopram. Worked pretty well. Did have some light side effects when starting for a couple of weeks, and some pretty nasty side effects when tapering off (wild mood swings). In terms of coping...you just have to suck it up I'm afraid!

I am highly self-conscious anyway, but I don't think you'd call what I had social phobia. Although it did manifest itself in social situations typically.

I did try CBT and it made a HUGE difference. I would recommend it wholeheartedly to anyone. To be honest, medication was good as a short term bridge, but it was therapy that sorted me out.

I started with PAs, then would tend to get anxious in anticipation of them. It got to the point where I was pretty much having them on a daily basis. They didn't die down by avoiding triggers, quite the opposite - I confronted them. I was just slowly able to change the subconscious thought processes that caused them.

Hope that helps!

Tom

---------- Post added at 17:06 ---------- Previous post was at 17:05 ----------

And thank you everyone else for your welcomes :)