PDA

View Full Version : In it for the long haul.....................

macc noodle
16-12-11, 18:32
Well today has been the end of my CBT sessions and I am going back in March for a review meeting. :yesyes:

BUT, I just wanted to share a few thoughts with you all about my experience as someone who has quite clearly had about 35 years hauling this health anxiety and panic around with me at various stages in my life and what CBT has given me.

(1) The knowledge that my propensity towards HA and anxiety will be with me forever. And that sometimes I will have bad days, but the more I work on my CBT, the faster they will pass and the sooner I will feel better.

(2) That the strategies I have learned via CBT will need to be practised on a regular basis to maintain my good health.

(3) That allowing myself to fall back on previous coping strategies such as checking, safety behaviours, seeking reassurance etc just will not be acceptable as this will surely mean that in the end I shall be back to square one.

(4) I need as much distance between my normal levels of anxiety and the heightened levels that cause me so much trouble. I need to recognise the signs.

(5) To acheive this I need to be kind to myself and practise my relaxation, take some regular form of exercise, join a new group and go out with my friends - I need to make sure that I have some pleasure in my life, no matter how small.

and finally, but very importantly....................................... .........

(6) To acknowledge that I have come a very long way since May 2011 and that I am very pleased that this is so and that, no matter how many blips along the way, or how hard the path I need to travel may seem, I am not going back to that dark place that I inhabited not so long ago that left me virtually unable to function on any level where fear and panic rendered me a prisoner in my own head.

And that my friends I want to share with you all - it is not easy and it is not a quick fix but CBT can give you tools for life changing experiences.

Love to all my dear friends at NMP who have helped me travel this path and those who were there for me today when I had a really good blip ahead of my meeting (typical of me) - I promise that I will always be there for you guys in the same way you have been for me.

Macc Noodle

:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

saro
16-12-11, 22:02
:hugs: :hugs: well done macc!! You must feel so proud of how far you have come and what you have achieved!! :) always here for you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

snowgoose
16-12-11, 22:17
Macc .......a fantastic post :yesyes:

So pleased for you ....you did the hard work lady :flowers:
lovely uplifting and honest story of your journey .
snow x