PDA

View Full Version : New to the site

makalalee
17-12-11, 12:23
Hi there,

I just joined the site today after having a pretty awful week. I suffer from panic attacks and anxiety and broke down at work on Monday afternoon. My husband had to come and get me as I just couldn't face getting the train. I went to the doctor on Tuesday and got prescribed Sertraline. (I have been to the doctor in August and said I didn't want to go on pills and the doc put me to see a mental health professional, this didn't work out as I just didn't feel comfortable with them, nothing personal just me) Started taking the Sertraline and felt really sick, had to go to the toilet loads and had palpitations and generally agitated and couldn't sit at peace. I decided to go back to work on Wed and my husband took me in the car, however he had to pick up a work mate on the way and when we stopped outside his house I had the worst panic attack I have ever had in my life. The only way I can describe it is that it was like a veil coming down over me and every nerve in my body felt raw and hyper sensitive. I then felt sick and with the poor work mate in the back of the car freaked and made my husband take me home. I got in the house and just started crying. I took my Sertraline and felt worse, I couldn't calm down, thought I was going to die. I tried to calm myself down by doing breathing exercises but that wasn't working, had to visit the bathroom about 10 times in half an hour and felt so sick. Went to bed and lay down and eventually fell asleep. When I got up about an hour later I still felt reallly sick but tried to take my mind off it by watching tv. I chose to watch frozen planet as I though a nature programme would be soothing. It did help. I then listened to classical music which really helps me.
After I had calmed down I called the doc and explained how I felt and was reassurred that this was just my body getting used to the meds. He then prescribed propranolol tablets for me as well and signed me off work until the holidays (which totally stressed me out, but I have to try and not worry about work) I have now been taking the Sertraline for 5 days and the side effect are beginning to wear off. Going to the loo has calmed down and although I still feel sick I have managed to eat toast today. I haven't been out since the docs on Wed but forced myself to go to the shop about a 10 min walk from my house this morning. It was busy and I had to stand in a q but even though it was hard I did it:) and was realy pleased with myself. I am tired now as it seems to be physically tiring to fight the panic attacks. Now at home listening to Classic FM trying to find that little bit of calm.
I have previously suffered from debilitating panic attacks where I wouldn't leave the house and was off work for 5 months. At that time I was on clomipramine and saw a CBT who was amazing and helped me get my life back. This was about 4 years ago. I have known for some time that I was getting worse but so wanted to try and deal with it myself but in the end had to admit that I needed help and couldn't do it by myself anymore. I was so tired of constantly fighting myself. I have taken the first step towards recovery and know it will be difficult but I want my life back

diane07
17-12-11, 12:25
Hi makalalee

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

makalalee
17-12-11, 12:27
Thank you. I feel like I had done something positive by joining NMP

wantsnewfriends
19-12-11, 02:17
hi ya im new to the site also i joined today anyway im 24 and have had awful anxiety and ocd and panic attacks for 6 years i cant get rid of them but you can calm them down. anyway i have tried alot of medication and i found sertraline to be the best im currently on sertraline 100mg and its very good. so my advice would be to continue taking the sertraline things like fluoxetine and citalopram in my eyes are useless. x

Tero
19-12-11, 03:53
Welcome. Not sure reading any posts here is encouraging! But there are success stories and many of those people write books.

The first drug tried is not always the best but sertraline works for many things
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sertraline

Hook up with the right doctor and try a few things.

Anxiety patients are probably the worst group to introduce to drug treatment, as we have anxiety over the pills too. I am on citalopram.

pippapoppa
19-12-11, 19:00
Hi, I am new here too, really feel sorry about your ordeal, but I can certainly relate to it - it has happened to me on more than one occasion :(

makalalee
21-12-11, 11:56
Thanks to all who replied, still figuring out how to post. Feeling slightly better today. Walked into town and went to 4 shops. So feeling positive. The initial effect of the sertraline have calmed down and I don't panic before I take them now :)