PDA

View Full Version : is it me or is it Christmas!

carefree68
17-12-11, 23:00
Hi I was diagnosed with anxiety about 6 months ago, I thought I was on the road to recovery everyday baby steps but less panic attacks less anxiety then all of sudden 2 weeks ago BAM!

Having a night out with friends, great company a few drinks great atmosphere and then out of the Blue an attack hits me. Why?? :shrug:

Since then feel rubbish, numb sensations, constant blur (Like someone has switched a dimmer switch on and everything is dark) normal lights are too bright, on edge, nausea, irritable and angry paranoid and major depersonalisation.

It it because its Christmas and we are naturally stressed WHAT?:mad:

Thanks for reading my ramble.:unsure:

Mindful
17-12-11, 23:37
I think xmas has a lot ot answer for when it comes to stress levels. Money, rushing about, trying to please people, entertaining, fitting it all in, buying, wrapping, writing the cards, making sure we dont forget someone and so on... phew i feel dizzy thinking about it.

Its stressful for almost everyone but for us with nervous tendancies its all magnified.

You arent alone. :hugs:

carefree68
17-12-11, 23:42
Thanks Mindful. Its just crazy, I think you put so much pressure on yourself that this is the holidays, the kids are excited you have to relax, have fun, party etc and all the while you feel rubbish and I feel I can't tell anyone cause you don't want to ruin it for others...yikes!

:hugs: right back at you.

Mindful
17-12-11, 23:47
Oh how i can relate to your post there, my kids are off school now and although they are teens they are still excited hehe.. i dont finish work until next Friday and still have so much to do, fitting it all in when you are of sound mind is a nightmare, fitting it all in when your mind is tired and your body is tired from anxiety is just so so difficult.. all the while we must smile and be jolly cause its xmas time. .. I want to enjoy the holidays, relax and have a good time, but no doubt me ole buddy anxiety will be sat on my shoulder trying to muscle its way in :ohmy:

cathycrumble
17-12-11, 23:54
Thanks Mindful. Its just crazy, I think you put so much pressure on yourself that this is the holidays, the kids are excited you have to relax, have fun, party etc and all the while you feel rubbish and I feel I can't tell anyone cause you don't want to ruin it for others...yikes!

:hugs: right back at you.

Try reading Self help for your nerves By Claire Weekes it's bril for general anxiety and panic

CAthy xx

carefree68
17-12-11, 23:57
lol. you and me both. Just made me smile... great to talk to some one who just gets it!

I don't want to feel like this (none of us do) so wish it would just do one! It will be my first christmas with anxiety and i am not looking forward to it, don't get me wrong am trying to be positive but Im almost pre-empting the whole thing! Does that make sense?

---------- Post added at 23:57 ---------- Previous post was at 23:55 ----------

Try reading Self help for your nerves By Claire Weekes it's bril for general anxiety and panic

CAthy xx

Thanks Cathy from bookshops I take it? or is this something on-line?

cathycrumble
18-12-11, 00:01
lol. you and me both. Just made me smile... great to talk to some one who just gets it!

I don't want to feel like this (none of us do) so wish it would just do one! It will be my first christmas with anxiety and i am not looking forward to it, don't get me wrong am trying to be positive but Im almost pre-empting the whole thing! Does that make sense?

Both but check this out

http://www.junior-anxiety-depression-exchange.org.uk/relax.html#HowToRecover

Mindful
18-12-11, 00:09

Also Pass through Panic the cd.. by Clare Weekes... she has a certain way about her voice that really hits home.

carefree68
18-12-11, 00:12
Thanks will do. have you tried the free trial CBT...link through NMP? if so what are your thoughts?

Mindful
18-12-11, 00:16

It makes perfect sense.

Just try to let that anxiety be there, it will anyway so its better to ride the wave than to try swimming against it right? Let it be there in the background, just like you would a sore leg or something. Yeh its annoying but it is only a feeling, thoughts and feelings come and go, they only stick around when we make them so important to us. x

---------- Post added at 00:16 ---------- Previous post was at 00:14 ----------

Thanks will do. have you tried the free trial CBT...link through NMP? if so what are your thoughts?
Yes i am working with that now and honestly i would recommend it, its free for 30 days so you really have nothing to lose.

Its explains things so clearly, it will even bring you a few giggles along the way, the cartoons along side the serious stuff are cute and funny and made me smile.

Just to add- The CBT programme hands you the knowledge and tools to cope but its you that has to put the work in, its a slow progress but progress all the same. ( for me)

carefree68
18-12-11, 00:23
its so difficult! you are right though I seem to be getting better at that, where as before I have ended up at A & E with what the hell is happening to me... I seem to be able to ride it out now and almost talk myself down before it gets out of hand. Everything just seems to be heightened at mo I am on 'high alert'. Im sure its Christmas.

I know Im going to be fine. Thanks for the chat you seem to have a bit of a grip on this and you make a lot of sense

Mindful
18-12-11, 00:32
its so difficult! you are right though I seem to be getting better at that, where as before I have ended up at A & E with what the hell is happening to me... I seem to be able to ride it out now and almost talk myself down before it gets out of hand. Everything just seems to be heightened at mo I am on 'high alert'. Im sure its Christmas.

I know Im going to be fine. Thanks for the chat you seem to have a bit of a grip on this and you make a lot of sense

Aww its been nice for me too, to speak with someone who knows where i am coming from, i think nervous illness can be a lonely place, thank god for the internet i say :)

When you are in a heightened state its stands to reason that you will be more anxious, you just need to turn that anxiety dial down a bit, it does take time and practice but you can do it, you have already gone from going to the emergency room to managing to talk yourself down. Thats a massive accomplishment! Xmas will be stressful, we know that so lets just ride that anxiety wave, up and down, back and forth and one way or another we will make it through. We always do! Feelings and thoughts cant harm us :bighug1:

carefree68
18-12-11, 00:34
Oh Im prepared to put the work in Forward is the only way to go. Never look back.

Baby steps

Mindful
18-12-11, 00:35
I'm off to bed now Carefree, i didnt want to just disappear on you. Take care and sleep tight x

---------- Post added at 00:35 ---------- Previous post was at 00:34 ----------

Oh Im prepared to put the work in Forward is the only way to go. Never look back.

Baby steps Thats the spirit .. you will be just fine. :hugs:

carefree68
18-12-11, 00:36
Thanks Mindful. Its been great to talk to you. and you too.

---------- Post added at 00:36 ---------- Previous post was at 00:35 ----------

Thanks Mindful. Its been great to talk to you. and you too. Night:hugs:

carefree68
18-12-11, 18:40
Grrrr, had friends over for dinner have not seen them in ages, Christmas celebrations have begun. Talked about christmas lots, felt edgy, like i was talking but not talking, fumbled my words forgot what I was saying. constant blurred vision and spacey. I know these friends and am completely relaxed with them but they must have thought I am a complete nutter. Wish these feelings would just go away!

Has anyone else had this blurred vision almost like there is a film over my eyes for 2-3 weeks??? its so scary. Have had my eyes checked but apparently very healthy.

Just fed up pretending everything is ok?

Does anyone else feel this way?