PDA

View Full Version : citalopram withdrawal

tilda
06-06-06, 10:05
I wonder if anyone can advise me here. I ran out of Citalopram a few weeks ago (I was on 60mg/day) and then had to go south to look after my father. I went through pretty horrible physical effects and crying fits for a couple of weeks, I put it down to stress as he was ill I came to him the day after my final exams. I finally clicked what it was (duh) and after a couple of weeks felt a lot better. Shortly after though I began to have very bad anxiety, inlcuding full blown panic attacks and unprompted terror. I don't really want to go back on the drug as it wasn't helping my depression or anxiety (at least not to a level where I could enjoy my life properly), however I don't know if this will just get worse without starting again and gradually weaning myself off, the anxiety is now far worse than before I took the drug. Having come this far I don't really want to re-aquaint my body with it (why does noone tell you how bad this drug is to come off? It's raved about and this warning is never issued, even a psychiatrist once took me of it cold turkey before I begged to have it back). Has anyone else experienced this sudden anxiety when coming off it, if so how long does it last? I kow there are other posts on this so sorry if its a bit repituous, its just that most seem to focus on the depressive aspect.

Thanks

Southern_Belle
07-06-06, 03:30
Tilda,

Coming off any andidepressant cold turkey is not recommended, surprised your psychiatrist did that. I suggest you call your doctor and ask how long the symptoms should last, it couldn't hurt. You might also try some yoga or relaxation tapes to try to relax naturally if that is what you want to do. I also hear alot about CBT and then there is always counseling. Claire Weekes has written books about dealing with anxiety too. I hope this helps. I commend you on your effort. I hope you feel better soon.

Bel