PDA

View Full Version : Drinking on Sertraline

Gembutt
18-12-11, 21:23
Hey guys..
started sertraline over 2 weeks ago now and in the booklet it mentions something about letting your doctors know whether you plan on drinking.

I'm not a big drinker anyway but with it coming up to the festive season I would like a glass or two, so was just wondering if I can drink? And what would it do to me if I did?

xx

Andromeda
18-12-11, 22:21
Let's put it this way, having a drink or two over the festive period mixed with the sertraline isn't going to kill you or anything like that but it's not recommended - this is usually directed at the people who drink a lot.

Alcohol is a depressant, it can seriously undermine the positive effects of the sertraline.

Ultimately it's your decision but i personally wouldn't mix the two.

James1983
19-12-11, 08:55
Hello

I agree with Andromeda, but from experience with sertraline i think 3 - 5 pints of beer @ 4% ABV on an evening out even say once a week is alright. I rarely drink now because i drive everyday more less but when i do i go easy and dont mix the drinks. I guess know your limit is the key here. :noangel:

Tommyyy
19-12-11, 14:21
Hi Gem!

My doctor has put me on Sertraline now. Half a table until Thursday when I start taking the whole tablet. The info booklet that came with it was huge and all those side effects were scary!! It does mention to avoid alcohol in the booklet whereas Citalopram had it written everywhere and in bold on the label. What i'm going to do is just have one/two drinks and see how it goes.

Did you have to slowly increase the dose of Sertraline? x

Gembutt
19-12-11, 20:43
Thanks everyone for the reply, I'm only planning on having one or two glasses of Baileys, was hoping to get a little bit tipsy for new year but I'm sure I can have fun without a drink anyway :)
Hey Tommy, they just put me on 20mg straight away and the first week was a rough ride with feeling sick but now it's not too bad! xxx