PDA

View Full Version : Social Anxiety

tisa
06-06-06, 12:00
Hello there - I'm a new member. My name is Karen (29 yrs old). I suffer from anxiety, mainly social anxiety, which recently resulted in me having to leave my job. I find social events very difficult & find myself avoiding certain situations. I worry that people are looking at me & can tell that I feel anxious & uncomfortable.

I look forward to hearing from anyone out there who can relate to the above.

Karen : )

WILL0W
06-06-06, 17:40
Hi Tisa,

I am 31 years old and I too suffer with anxiety, mainly in social situations. I felt really bad last night I am currently doing courses. One of them we have to do presentations and group work and role play. I find it so hard!! Nobody else seems to find it so hard in the group that it makes me feel worse as I feel even more of a freak. I find my mind tends to go blank and I really cant get the words together. When I talk honestly to people from the class about what I'm like I feel they don't really understand. The first day of this course I had a bad anxiety attack and ended up going out of the room and crying in the toilets. I was so anxious! I almost feel like some of them avoid working with me as I might panic! I know its probably negative thinking on my part.

I currently work part time for some elderly ladies as homehelp and I can manage that but I don't think I could cope with a lot of jobs. Sorry to hear you had to leave your job, what type of work was it?

I take citalopram for my anxiety, I recently tried to come off but I found I did feel more down which scared me into taking them again.

Best wishes,
Willow.x

tisa
07-06-06, 11:50
Hi there - thanks for your reply. I can totally relate to your situation. I was working as a Customer Advisor (telephone based not face to face) for a Rail Company. It started when I had to attend a weeks induction course with about 10 other people. We had to do various things which involved talking in front of the rest of the group.. I found this extremely difficult! I hated the thought of people looking at me & my biggest fear was that they could tell I felt nervous & uncomfortable (I find that embarrassing!). Like yourself I end up bursting into tears in the toilet & just wanna going home.

I'm also taking Citalopram, for 3 weeks now but I haven't noticed any benefits yet. How long have you been taking it & does it help you?

Take Care
Karen

WILL0W
07-06-06, 18:11
Hi,
yes I can totally relate to that I find those kind of things terribly hard. I have been on Citalopram for about 5 years they definitely did help, or I improved for a while, but I've been struggling again the last 8 or 9 months, I was only on 10mg and because I thought they weren't doing anything I tried coming off, but I dipped down lower so I am back on them and on 20mg. I do try and take other approaches aswell, looking at all the self-help books I can get hold of! On one of the posts in the success stories they are recommending a book by Sam Obitz called Been there, done that? Do this! I might try and get hold of it. I am trying to cut down on my tea intake as someone thought that might aggravate my anxiety!

Tablets do take a while to kick in normally, but everyone is individual and what works for one, doesn't for another. Hope they help. CBT is good for us anxiety sufferers too. In those group situations it is hardest as unfortunately it does mean a certain amount of attention is on us and that is what we find hard. Do you find your brain clams up too, in those situations where you literally cant think of what to say even though normally you would know?

take care of yourself,
Willow.x

tisa
08-06-06, 16:41
Hi Willow - Thanks for your reply. Wow you have been on Citalopram for a long time, glad you find it helpful, I'm hoping I will too! I used to be on Clomipramine for years. I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling again.. it is hard when you re-lapse. You sound very positive though! A good book that I'm reading at the mo is 'Overcoming Anxiety' by Helen Kennerley.. it's all about Cognitive Therapy which you mention you're familiar with.

As for my brain clamming up.. this definitely happens & theres so much I'd like to say but just can't! I know I'm not a boring person but I'm sure I come across that way to some people. I tend to focus on people around me who appear to be so confident & this seems to make me more reserved! (Especially attractive & confident people) don't ya just hate those?! ; )

Hope to chat soon
Karen

WILL0W
11-06-06, 14:18
Hi Karen,

I know what you mean when you say

"I know I'm not a boring person but I'm sure I come across that way to some people. I tend to focus on people around me who appear to be so confident & this seems to make me more reserved! (Especially attractive & confident people) don't ya just hate those?! ; )" ha ha! yep!

I feel like that. Because anxiety restricts me so much and I am unable to relax totally, and it makes me feel stiff and awkward and not much fun. Inside though I know that isn't the real me if I could be set free, but it is the image that probably comes accross because of anxiety.

How are the tablets going?

love Willow.x