PDA

View Full Version : Palpatations after food. Especially breakfast

xJust_Sarahx
19-12-11, 14:33
Hi
everytimei have breakfast.. no matter what it is whether its toast or cereal and my usual cuppa tea, afterwards i always get really bad palpatations and it makes me really breathless, knocks me for six. I cannit do anything for ages, ic ant walk up the stairs cos i cant breathe etc.

Lately its got to the stage where its after everything i eat, like now i just had a sandwhich and no drink.. and my heart started pounding and i feel shaky.

I dont know if it could be to do with me been pregnant or what?

ScottyW
19-12-11, 15:24
I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that this can happen due to the stomach sitting up near the heart which can set a palpitation off. If it's happening after eating then this could be it. If somebody could correct me if I'm wrong?

Alabasterlyn
19-12-11, 16:45
I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that this can happen due to the stomach sitting up near the heart which can set a palpitation off. If it's happening after eating then this could be it. If somebody could correct me if I'm wrong?

I have heard that too, it's something to do with the vagus nerve. I would also image being pregnant could make it feel worse as depending on how many weeks you are everything gets pushed up as your bump gets bigger.

countrygirl
19-12-11, 16:52
How pregnant are you??? as your stomach gets pushed almost to your throat in the later stages of pregnancy:D and this is what causes the heartburn etc. Your vagus nerve crosses the top of your stomach and this is the nerve that when irritated gives you racing heart and ectopic beats. I have to be careful not to eat too quickly or too much or this sets off really bad ectopics with me.

Have you felt your pulse when you get this - is it fast or erratic or missed beats???

This is a bit of a wild shot but have you noticed if any particular foods set it off as you mentioned toast/cereal and sandwich which are all wheat based foods???

xJust_Sarahx
19-12-11, 18:07
im 22 weeks pregnant now, but its awful. Yeah i get really bda heart burn, i did with my other pregnancies but never had this what i feel now. It scares me and i fear i wont catch my breathe, so when i feel worse i sit down and try to relax. after a while it does ware off but i cant literally do anything.

Im not sure what particular foods because it happens the worse in the morning, so im not sure i dont always have the same for breakfast. But im hoping its just something to do with been pregnant and i know every pregnancy is different so i shldnt compare to my last, I hope i havnt got something wrong with my heart. or like diabtetes? but wheni have done a urine thing at midwife clinic etc they would of picked up anything like that right?

as long as i can ge it into my head its harmless then i may get thru it but i do feel like calling 999.