PDA

View Full Version : Weight gain on Citalopram

Gibbles
06-06-06, 13:14
Has anyone else noticed Weight gain while taking Citalopram? Ive been on 20mg a day since October '05 and through no change in eating habits/diet/exercise I've put on a good 15-18 pounds.

Being 5'6" every pound shows! [:O]

Has anyone else experienced similar?

pinkpenny1uk
06-06-06, 21:47
hiya,
i'm new to this forum and just found your thread. i have been on citalopram for the last 3 months and in that time i too have put on loads of weight.
my eating habits etc have stayed the same and to be honest until i read what u had wrote i didn't think for a minute citalopram could have contributed to my weight gain.
will def be keeping an eye on things now....stand need having anything else to fret about.

mandie
07-06-06, 00:16
hi

i have put weight on too. i was on 10mg last year and was ok, but since being on 20mg for the past couple of months i have gained about 7 pounds

love mandie x

Southern_Belle
07-06-06, 03:33
I think you gain weight on every anti-depressant, but the longer you are on them it seems to level off.

Bel

Gibbles
07-06-06, 06:39
I read somewhere that Citalopram on average causes 15-18lbs weight gain, but of course, there is no mention of this on the side effects leaflet you get with them............funny that :D

I was just thinking recently that I couldnt put a finger on why I had gained weight. Shortly before I started taking them I was the lightest I had been in 6 years, at 10st 2lbs, and now I'm sitting in just under 12st [:O]

I've always been reasonably fit, so this was a shock to me......but my aim now is to try and ween myself off my 20mg a day, and do plenty of exercise to regain a more svelt physique

So tonight, I've booked myself in for Boxercise at my gym! Here goes [:P]

Daisybun
07-06-06, 15:21
Hi Guys
I'm on 10mg just started, have lost loads of weight over last month so new clothes may not fit then? Oh dear hope that i can stay on 10, don't feel too bad on it at the moment.

Take care
Daisybun

'This too will pass'

Gibbles
08-06-06, 10:32
*Update*

15-18lbs? How about 2 stone! [:O]

Its depressing in itself seeign that! [:I]

devon_guy
08-06-06, 13:41
Sorry to add further misery guys but I put on a stone in only 4 months and have been off Citalopram for 6 months now and the weight just won't shift.

Gibbles
08-06-06, 13:44
[:O]

Erm! I'm at this very moment trying to come off it and hoping the weiht would go. Damn damn damn [B)]

Alexandra
08-06-06, 15:23
Hi Gibbles

Yes ive put on weight & became very unhappy so joined Weight Watchers.

Alex

Many People Will Walk
In & Out Of Your Life
But Only True Friends
Will Leave Footprints
In Your Heart

babey.girl
30-08-08, 00:10
Hi Gibbles

Yes ive put on weight & became very unhappy so joined Weight Watchers.

Alex

Many People Will Walk
In & Out Of Your Life
But Only True Friends
Will Leave Footprints
In Your Heart
hiya
have u lost any weight with weight watchers?
I was on sertraline 200mg for nearly a year then venlafaxine 150mg. In this time ive gained 2 stone with no change in eating or exercise.. now my doctor has put me on citalopram 40mg assuring me weight gain isnt a known side affect please enlighten me i cant bare 2 put more weight on.