PDA

View Full Version : What caused this?

MaryMac
20-12-11, 14:03
Hi everyone. I've been a panic attack/anxiety sufferer for most of my life now, and have been through so much therapy! I've come on leaps and bounds and for several years there I had pretty much NO anxiety or panic, (unless it involved getting on a plane or dentist!). However, I've been posting on the health forum, for some reason I've been convinced that I have some sort of fatal illness and my anxiety levels have been through the roof. The last week or so have been an improvement, however today I got caught.
I haven't really been eating properly, on Sunday I barely had anything, yesterday all I had was some chips and today I left the house with only having had a cup of tea. I went to a shopping centre to finish off Christmas shopping and felt ok. I had my ipod on. Then suddenly as I went to go into a shop I felt really dizzy, like the ground was moving under me and lightheaded, that horrible "depersonalization" I think it's called. My heart was pounding. I had to get out of there, but it seemed like I was never going to make it to the exit. I felt like I was losing control. I made it out and got back to my car and have felt ok since, I just ate some scrambled eggs. It's been a long time since I had an attack like this and I'm wondering if it's because I haven't eaten much, or if it's a build up of the anxiety? Now my eyelids are twitching and I'm getting scared there's something seriously wrong! :(

emmac
20-12-11, 14:34
Hi Mary,

The think the illness thing is health anxiety, which i had a few months back but touch wood has now passed. Are you going through a particulary stressful period at the moment?, which may have caused your anxiety to come on. I think its just a different form of anxiety you have. The groud moving/depersonlisation etc is what I experience if im out and have a panic attck so it seems to me that this may have been a panic attack that you managed to control. And control is the magic word!. You mentioned that you felt like you were losing control, which again brings me back to is there something bothering you at the moment something out of your control? because thats what happends to me when i am in a stressful period in my life. I definately dont think you have a serious illness though try and be strong and think back to what you have been doing up until now to keep panic/anxiety at bay maybe you could implement this again.

Emma x

---------- Post added at 14:34 ---------- Previous post was at 14:30 ----------

Sorry mary forgot to mention the eyelids twitching could be nerve/stress related too. This was also happening to me during the period i had health anxiety also i used to get a cold sensation down my face and in my eyes. You should try and keep a healthy diet though its good for the mind. hope this helps.

em

nomorepanic
20-12-11, 14:46
Definitely caused by lack of food and probably low blood sugar levels.

Please try and eat more or you will feel rubbish like this.

MaryMac
20-12-11, 14:49
Hi Em, thanks for replying. :) I've had quite a bad time, in the last year I've lost 2 aunts whom I was very close to and my grandmother passed away just over a month ago, and I also lost my mum a few years ago. I always try to keep busy to keep the bad stuff at bay, but just before my gran passed away, I had a bad tooth abcess which meant I had to get the tooth out, but before I did, I started googling what would happen if it spread through my body etc and that's when all the health anxiety started. After my gran passed I had a couple of weeks of not being so busy and I think that's when my anxiety well and truly started. It was constant shaking, heart pounding, worrying, sitting thinking I was going insane. I'm better now but today was just a bit of a strange one, it seemed to come out of nowhere! I hate this. :(

---------- Post added at 14:49 ---------- Previous post was at 14:49 ----------

Thanks Nicola. :) I know you're right, it's just so difficult to be rational sometimes when you feel like this!

emmac
20-12-11, 14:59
Yes see Mary you have had a lot going on and a lot to deal with but at least you realise that its anxiety and there is nothing really serious happening to you. I know its easier said than done when its actually happening to you but you seem pretty strong to me so just remember that next time you mind is feeling weak. take carexx

MaryMac
20-12-11, 15:23
Thanks Emma. :) xx