PDA

View Full Version : Pregabalin - Waiting For Lift Off

robinbrum
20-12-11, 18:28
Not a diary as such but I just want to record my experiences with Pregabalin both as a reference for myself and any other users who are on the drug or who are thinking of maybe seeing their GP/Psychatrist with a view to taking it.
So been on it now for a couple of days on 50mg twice a day. I first should say that my GP was reluctant to give me this drug on grounds of cost and what he sees as lack of evidence that it actually works(contrary to almost every single opinion that I have gathered on NMP). Perhaps that's why he's giving me such a low dose. I am a large fellow(around 17 stone) and I doubt very much given my previous high tolerance for other types of medication, that this dose will have much of an effect on me. But we shall see.
Anyway, nothing to report as yet, don't feel a thing. I have read that some people feel an almost instant reaction after taking this drug but then I have always had a thick head!
Anxiety very high right now and I am almost crippled with inertia and really dread contact with other human beings, be it face to face or even on the phone. Christmas is not good time to have this kind of panic. Does anyone else ever feel this way.
I guess I have to wait a bit longer...

Iain53
21-12-11, 11:36
Hi Rob,

I'm on day 2 of Pregabalin myself - I was lucky in that I saw a keen, recently qualified GP who was a bit wet behind the ears (my normal GP wasnt available). He was doing a lot of um-ing and erring when I last went to see him, but then started printing the prescription (after a quick check of MIMS) seconds after I suggested it. I think my usual GP would have been less accomodating. Hope he doesnt get in trouble, or I have the rug pulled out from under me once these run out!

Anyway, i'm a 38yr old 14st bloke, and have been given 150g (75g twice a day). After reading about some people (mostly women I guess) starting on 50, I opened the first cap, and reduced the powder to what looked like 50 just to see what it felt like... which was nothing really. In fact, I probably felt more anxious waiting for the endless list of side-effects to start. They didnt.

Day 2, and I having had a full day of 150mg, I definately notice a difference. Anxiety is still there, but this morning, I find i'm already doing stuff that previously was a real challange. I never avoided that much stuff, but on the worst days even the simplest of every day tasks took quite a lot of psyching-up.

BTW, i'm also on sertraline 150mg having recently recently upped from 100mg which I had been on for nearly 15 years with hardly any 'blips'. Im still struggling to work out why they no longer seem to work, or whether recent events have tipped me over the edge. I wasnt keen on upping to 200mg, hence my desire to try pregabalin. Eventually, i'd like to reduce the sertraline down, or maybe stop it all together (probably take a year after all this time).

So... at the 150mg per day dose, it does appear to be doing something. Let me know how it pans out for you.

robinbrum
21-12-11, 11:53
Hi Iain,
Thanks for that. To be honest the doc I saw is ultra cautious and probably knows full well that I will feel little or no effect from 100mg a day. That way he can turn round and say, well you're not feeling any benefit, no point in taking it...or am I just being cynical?
To be honest I'm thinking of upping the dose to 150mg but then they may question why I've come back early for my prescription?
It's encouraging that you are already feeling the benefits. I don't know if the sertraline enhances the effects of the pregabalin but I am on no other medication.
Good luck and please keep me informed of your progress.
Rob.

Iain53
21-12-11, 12:13
Well, maybe you should be economical with the truth, and say something like 'Suprisingly they do appear to be having a positive effect at this low dose, but there is still a fair bit of anxiety there which would probably benefit from an increase' ??

robinbrum
21-12-11, 12:29
I think I may just do that.

robinbrum
21-12-11, 17:28
Took an extra 50mg as safe(?) experiment just to see if there was any reaction. Just a slightly naseous feeling which I've had before and a slight "racing" sensation that I have experienced before with other drugs. No fatigue though which is pleasing.
Just want to make clear that I don't recommend anyone increasing their medication without consulting their doctor first. It was just my choice to try this once but from now on I will go back to the prescribed dose...

Iain53
22-12-11, 10:34
I'm not sure if doing it just the once will do that much - this stuff works quickly, but.. Presumably it doesn't get cleared out of your system completely between doses, so I guess there would be a slight cumulative effect. I think I felt a positive effect after dose 3 of 75mg, but you're a bigger chap so...

If someone told me to 'be patient' a couple of days ago, I would have blown my top, so I won't do that :) ....

Still doing ok myself, but woke up with a hangover type headache this morning ... Nothing major, but hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

Anxiety levels when I started... 7/10 ... Now 4/10 (dont ask me how this scale works!)

Hang in there....

robinbrum
22-12-11, 10:49
It's almost a negligible dose for someone of my size, I don't know even if my system is registering it in any way...I certainly feel nothing at the moment. But like you say I have to be patient and I guess I had better not experiment any further with the dosage.
I'm glad it seems to be having a benefit for you and clearly your anxiety levels are down. The hangover thing is not something I've heard of before but there's always a trade-off with all drugs I guess.

xtremx
22-12-11, 14:33
Hi have just been given Pregabalin by my dentist for nerve pain, But also read that it can be used for GAD. Have tried sertaline but after 2 days on that drug i had to come off due to suicidal thoughts (had a very bad reaction to it).
So hopefully pleased that this could a help with my nerve pain and anxiety.
He gave me 75mg twice aday will be starting after christmas so will be watching your thread with great interest

robinbrum
22-12-11, 15:18
Good luck with that but presumably your pregabalin will only be a short-term basis if it's been prescribed for nerve pain? On that dosage you have a head start over me on a measly 100mg!
I too had a similar reaction to a drug once which also made me feel suicidal and constantly weepy. Frightening what these chemicals can do and how different people can react in completely different ways to the same medication.

xtremx
22-12-11, 16:11
Good luck with that but presumably your pregabalin will only be a short-term basis if it's been prescribed for nerve pain? On that dosage you have a head start over me on a measly 100mg!
I too had a similar reaction to a drug once which also made me feel suicidal and constantly weepy. Frightening what these chemicals can do and how different people can react in completely different ways to the same medication.

Yeah he gave me a 6 weeks course but if they work well for my anxiety levels i think my doc will let me carry on with them as they were going to put me on gabapentin (for gad).
But the dentist said that pregabalin in more stable that gabapentin.

And yes it is very frightening how different drugs effect people. I like how they say antidepressants make you worse before better:weep:
Should be make you better and better in the real world

Hope you do well on pregabalin and have a good christmas:yesyes:

robinbrum
22-12-11, 16:22
Likewise, let me know how you get on:)

robinbrum
22-12-11, 23:44
I went shopping today and I was surprised to find myself remarkably calm by my usual hyper standards. Mind you I was only out for an hour and it was quieter than expected. Don't know if the Pregabalin might be kicking in or it's just one of my occasional good days.
Watch this space.

robinbrum
26-12-11, 11:52
Been taking Pregabalin a week now at 100mg a day. Not noticed any difference whatsoever.
Disappointed but not entirely surprised. Inevitably the dose will have to be increased by the GP (however much they're against it). Tempted to do it myself but I will surely be asked questions about why I'm returning early for my prescription(although for some odd reason he gave me a 6-week supply).
Watch this space, as they say...

lah2101
26-12-11, 20:14
hey i ony notice any effect on my anxiety when i was increased to 600mg it heps my social anxiety, and my generaised anxiety a little less, but i still have slight panic attacks. i want to take venlafaxine but they wont et me as i have bipolar aswell.

robinbrum
26-12-11, 21:15
That seems a very high dose...I have a high tolerance and I could be on 200 mg for the rest of my life and not feel any difference. I don't know what is best for bi-polar but venlafaxine did nothing for me except knock me out.

xhyperyogix
27-12-11, 19:09
my mates been on 150mg 3x a day pregab for 3 yrs. he is loads better, but still not completely there. but i'd say it works for him. he has gad and depression but has never had a panic attack (I am surprised!)

anyway, best of luck. xx

ps, apparently venlafaxine is a bit of a 'stimulant' sort of anti-d so so i can see why they'd not use it for panic or bipolar, but robin, it knocks you out??? Now I AM interested!!! lol!!!!

robinbrum
27-12-11, 23:12
Hi Hyperogi,
I will be patient with the Pregabalin because I have quite a high tolerance threshold for drugs and I know that the dose will have to be upped significantly before I start feeling any benefits.
Yes, the Venlaflaxine were more like valium for me, I was yawning all the time and generally spaced-out but not in a good way. More like dope than speed, if you want to compare it with illegal drugs and known for increasing weight as well. But people react differently to it.
We keep on trying:)

hanshan
02-01-12, 05:25
Hi Robinbrum,

I'm taking 600 mg pregabalin per day plus 45 mg mirtazapine per day for generalised anxiety. I've been on this dose for just over a year and its better than anything I've ever had. Anxiety is at levels I'd consider normal.

Considering your size and previous drug tolerance, I suspect you will need the maximum dose. Doctors are still a bit wary of pregabalin as its not a drug that they've prescribed in large amounts, so they adopt the cautious approach: "Start low, go slow".

I think the drug is still under patent. The price should come down when the patent expires and other companies can manufacture it.

Hang in there.

Hanshan

robinbrum
03-01-12, 13:23
I think you are right hanshan and at the moment I have been on 200mg daily for a fortnight and have not noticed any change whatsoever. I am going to see my GP next week to review the situation and I hope he will see sense and increase the dosage significantly.
I hope the price does come down significantly because I know my practice are very cost-conscious when it comes to dishing out these drugs, as I explained in another thread http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=106105

---------- Post added at 13:23 ---------- Previous post was at 13:19 ----------

Sorry I said 200mg, that should read 100mg a day.

Iain53
03-01-12, 14:25
Hi All,

Well, I went to see the Dr's after xmas, and explained that I was doing better, but still had some anxiety in the mornings. He suggested upping the evening dose to 150mg, then 75mg as usual in the morning. Reason being that the morning dose only really kicks in by the afternoon.

First time I tried this, it seemed to go well, but on the second day, I felt pretty groggy in the morning, and a headache which got progressively worse through the day.

Decided last night that if I was going to up the dose I'd try it over a long weekend, or at least a time when I could work at home. So I only took 75. Today I feel like sh*t - pretty anxious and tense.

I realise now this was probably a mistake, and its too short a time to have a withdrawal - but now i've started to worry about the future and what it would be like coming off pergabalin from a higher dose.

Now, I suffer badly from tension headaches anyway (when the anxiety is high, my neck, shoulder and back muscles go into spasm, which refers to the side of my head). Also, been having poor sleep patterns over the holidays (mostly self inflicted). Oh yes, and its the first day back at work after a break! Chances are I would have been feeling like this anyway, with or without the increased dose.

So my rational side is telling me to give it a longer go, but the anxious irrational side is well, anxious :wacko:

Iain

robinbrum
03-01-12, 14:41
Hi Iain,
Yes I see what you mean...maybe you're particularly sensitive to the drug? I seem to recall that the Pregabalin was pretty fast-acting for you and you did notice the benefits quite quickly? I think some people have reported that they have felt initially worse when the dose is increased and that it takes a bit of time to get accustomed to it and notice the benefits.
You could be right about the time of year. I definitely feel considerably more anxious and depressed than I did before the Christmas/New Year period. And that has nothing to do with the Pregabalin!

Iain53
03-01-12, 16:47
A lot of people say they get the stressed over christmas, so it makes sense that it must be significantly worse for the GAD sufferer. I guess it is easy to feel negative about the the whole 'event', the preparation, meeting up with family you dont really like, plus the social aspect and the pressure to enjoy yourself when you just want to hide. A new year is also a big milestone where people reflect and make plans.... I find raking over the past, and planning/organising things a great source of anxiety. Also I reckon my level is at least partially seasonal - It was the shortest day on the 21st Dec - this must only amplify the effect.

I'm still struggling today - just finished a call with a potential customer - it was a real struggle. As other people have mentioned I'm finding that i'm stumbling over words a lot, my mind goes blank so i'm unable to finish a

(ok, bad joke)

... and in the middle of one of my blanks, I suddenly found myself thinking "The guy at the other end must think i'm a right wierdo" - instead of concentrating on that elusive word! Arrrg!.

Seriously though, it feels like I have some of the old anxiety symptoms back (although slightly magnified), but leaving out the apprehension/despair side of things. So, it feels different to before, and therefore i'm perhaps irrationally blaming the pergabalin.

So, i'll try 150mg again tonight, and see if I can keep it up until at least the weekend - hopefully by then I will feel a benefit if there's going to be one.

Iain

robinbrum
03-01-12, 17:13
I know the feeling about the blanks, I get them all the time.
I hope things settle down a bit for you now and the Pregabalin start doing the job they're supposed to.

Iain53
05-01-12, 21:56
Well, spent a couple of days feeling odd after the increase to 150mg in the evening. You hear the word 'dizzy' a lot, but its not a room-spinning type of thing - hard to describe, I felt like I could fall over pretty easily, and kind of clumsy.

Anyway, I had two days of that, but today I feel pretty damn good! Bit of background anxiety in the morning, but by mid morning that was gone.

So 75mg with breakfast, and 150mg with the evening meal. I was thinking of making it 150/150, but i'll stick with this for the time being and see how it goes.

Iain

hanshan
06-01-12, 04:48
Hi Iain and Rob,

Hope things are working out for you guys. I felt spacy for several weeks, but that went, along with the dry mouth. Coordination walking took longer to come under control - people watching you walk might think you've been drinking because you veer from side to side occasionally.

But I think it's been worth it. I have to stress that it's not an upper for me - it just takes away the persistent, pointless anxiety that tormented me for years.

Lyrica comes off patent in October 2013, which is the earliest date for a generic to appear. Because it is not listed as a drug for anxiety in Australia, I had to pay the full price, less a part refund from my health fund. I think the price less refund came to about $4 a day ($5 per day full price for 2 x 300 mg). It's not horrendously expensive. Most people wouldn't think twice about paying that for a coffee or a bus fare. So if you've got the money, you can tell the doctor you'll pay the full price.

Because I've been feeling better, I've gone from semi-retirement in Australia to a full-time job in Japan. I've managed to get an extended prescription for several months from my doctor in Australia, but that's running out, so I'm now going to have to try my hand with the Japanese docs. I'll keep you posted!

Hanshan

robinbrum
06-01-12, 09:52
Hi Hanshan
Really pleased you're doing well under the Pregabalin:)
I do slightly worry about being dizzy and lacking in coordination as I am a clumsy beggar at the best of times!
As regards cost I thought you had a model similar to the British NHS in Australia - that surprises me. I would be prepared to pay if the Pregabalin works for me. I would consider it as essential as food to my well being.
But still I'd rather pay my £7.40 a month on the good old NHS!
Good luck with the new life in Japan, hope you go onwards and upwards!

hanshan
06-01-12, 11:27
Hi Rob,

Thanks for your best wishes. I only wish that pregabalin could help others as much as it has helped me.

The coordination thing is a problem. I still feel clumsy just walking, but I've learned some tricks. One is to walk alongside a wall with your fingers just brushing it lightly. This helps to maintain a steady balance.

As for the cost, I think you've hit the nail on the head. We'd willingly pay the price for a certain cure, but at the moment it's a bit of a lottery with mixed results.

And as for Japan, it's fantastic and a challenge. I came here as an English teacher twenty-five years ago (yes, I'm that old), and always wanted to come back, but never did. Then I saw an email at work asking if anyone wanted to go to Japan, and I jumped at it. (And I'm still trying to understand 95% of what I hear and read.)

Hanshan

lauz_lea
06-01-12, 13:25
Hello to you all, I've read your posts (and others regarding pregab) and am considering discussing it with my GP on Monday.

I've been back on Seroxat for nearly 7 weeks and am generally worse than before I went back on it (although its always worked quickly for me in the past).

I wonder if you could advise what SSRI's or other meds you've been on prior to pregab and how you felt on them. I know its still early days for my seroxat to be working but I'm desperate to feel better now, hate feeling worse than I did before.

robinbrum
06-01-12, 14:14
Hello Luaz, I have tried most of the usual SSRIs most of which had very little effect on me, either good or bad. Seroxat was very unpleasant, especially coming off it. Citalopram was the only one that benefited me but I developed too much of a tolerance for it and did not want to go on to a higher dose. It was very hard coming off that but not as bad as seroxat, if memory serves me right. Prior to Pregabalin I was on the highest dose of Venlafaxine for 5 months. It was awful, turned me into a zombie.
Pregabalin may well be my last throw of the dice. So far it has made no difference at all but I am only on 100mg a day.
I hope your GP is receptive to your ideas but don't be surprised if the issue of cost rears its ugly head at some point.
Best of luck:).

lauz_lea
06-01-12, 14:29
Thanks Robin, I know the GP will probably suggest other meds before being willing to give pregab a go so I'm looking into other meds with less unpleasant side effects, such as Citalopram and Mirtazapine, but I know that everyone is different so I just have to try and brave the fears of terrible side effects.

If/when I do try something else I certainly won't put up with the any of the terrible side effects I've suffered this time even though I know I should try to stick with it to give it a chance, its just so demoralising to feel so much worse for so long.

I can cope with physical side effects, such as dizzyness, tiredness etc, its the mental side effects I can't tolerate.

robinbrum
07-01-12, 11:32
Almost 3 weeks into taking Pregabalin at 100mg a day and I suddenly wake up feeling slightly nauseous and and an odd, spaced out feeling. My head is fuzzy and my speech is slightly slurred. It doesn't feel good to be honest, plus I am at work and struggling to function.
Is this normal?

xtremx
07-01-12, 19:05
Almost 3 weeks into taking Pregabalin at 100mg a day and I suddenly wake up feeling slightly nauseous and and an odd, spaced out feeling. My head is fuzzy and my speech is slightly slurred. It doesn't feel good to be honest, plus I am at work and struggling to function.
Is this normal?

Hi robinbrum, I have yet to start mine yet undecided but was looking on another forum and some of the things said on it are making me think about not using it and one or two comment relate to what you are feeling mainly that after about 4 weeks on it a few people were starting to get the feeling of being in a drunk like state.

So sounds like you could have a common side effect of it. But hopefully for you it will pass soon.

hanshan
08-01-12, 10:12
Hi lauz_lea,

I think all these drugs affect everyone differently, so you need to be willing to try different drugs, and different combinations. Just as importantly, you need a doctor willing to make the journey with you.

Once I tried paroxetine / seroxat. I think it was the closest thing to poison that I've taken. Within a day or two I had nausea, diarrhoea, a tremor in my jaw and anorgasmia. Needless to say, I stopped taking it, but the key point is that other people have been helped by this drug without the side effects that I had.

Pregabalin has helped me considerably. My only concern is that doctors underprescribe it, so that patients only get the side effects, and not the benefits.

Hanshan

lauz_lea
08-01-12, 16:44
Hi Hanshan, thanks for your response, funnily enough, the side effects you describe are included in the ones I suffer with this med, added to the mix are vomitting, lack of appetite and a lot of weight loss, plus the mental side effects of derealization, depersonalisation, depression and countless more, but as it has worked for me in the past, I need to keep believing it will work for me again. I have only just reached the minimum "theraputic" dose of 20mg nearly 7 weeks after starting at 10mg (I had to bite the bullet as it were), so in terms of underprescribing, I suppose I have been undermedicating, and therefore only experiencing the side effects, and as yet little of the benefits.

I'll be seeing my GP in the morning (never the best time of day for me anyway), and will discuss the alternative options I am considering, which include asking what her thought are with regards to pregab.

hanshan
09-01-12, 10:18
Hi Lauz lea,

I hope you have a good session with your doctor.

After I stopped paroxetine, I switched to mirtazapine. The side effects for me were much less, and it helped me to sleep through the night. There are still side effects with this drug. It seems to have a dual profile of sedating at lower doses and stimulating at higher doses, so you need to get the right balance. I've made a post elsewhere on the board about restless legs, which affected me.

You don't say what your main concern is. If it's anxiety, pregabalin is worth a try.

Keep smiling,

Hanshan

lauz_lea
09-01-12, 12:08
Hi Hanshan

My main problem (I think) is anxiety, although prevously I'd always been diagnosed with depression, but I think thats because the anxiety (which I didn't understand way back all them years ago) cause me to become depressed.

My visit to the GP went well this morning and she thought there was some possible truth that by being on less than the minimum theraputic dose I was not yet feeling the full benefits, so she has signed me off for another two weeks to see how progress now that I have managed to up to 20mg of Seroxat, but if after that time I'm still not feeling any significant improvement she will change my meds, trying Cit first.

She isn't happy that I'm feeling worse, not better and doesn't want to prolong it any longer than being able to say "I gave them a chance", so lets see what the next two weeks has in store. She's signed me off again until I see her next.

She suggested Cit because its usually her first med of choice, along with Prozac (which I've tried before and didn't get on with) and has a longer half life so generally works quicker. Plus, having already overcome the worst side effects of SSRI's, I probably won't get a repeat of those first two horrendous weeks. She finds that to the patients she has prescribed Cit too, they usually work wonders and don't have to try anything else - but we're all different so I'm willing to give them a try if necessary.

We discussed pregab briefly (along with other meds), and whilst she was not completely dismissive, wants me to work through the normal/usual/traditonal meds first, which I understand and appreciate. I have to be willing to try alternatives first to see if any of them help.

Iain53
09-01-12, 12:33
Is this normal?

I had this too, for a couple of days when I increased dose, then it passed. Suprised you should get it after several weeks of the same dose. Has anything else changed with your routine ? I've read that some people find this effect reduced if you take it on a full stomach, so i've always taken it with food.

Funnily enough, I too am feeling spaced out today, but its my fault - normally take 150 in the evening, and 75 in the morning, and it seems to be working well. However, in a rush to leave the house this morning, I took 150 by mistake. :doh: Oops. I'm supposed to be playing badminton at lunchtime (first exercise for months) - will let you know how many times I fall over !

Iain

Iain53
09-01-12, 16:59
... However, in a rush to leave the house this morning, I took 150 by mistake. :doh: Oops. I'm supposed to be playing badminton at lunchtime (first exercise for months) - will let you know how many times I fall over !

Well that was fine - didnt fall over once. In fact, running around the court I suprised myself in how much energy I had - I certainly expected to be in worse shape given my lack of activity during the past 3 or 4 months of 'relapse' (or whatever you call it... prolonged blip?)

Iain

hanshan
10-01-12, 11:03
Hi Lauz lea,

I'm glad to hear that your session with the doctor went well, even if it left you hanging a bit.

It seems that she would like to move you over to citalopram, but is willing to try some more seroxat. I really can't comment on this. I can say, however, that if neither of these work, don't give up hope, there are still mirtazapine and pregabalin to try, and they are not just "more of the same".

Mirtazapine is in the antidepressant class, but it hits some different buttons and is also good for anxiety. Pregabalin is good for anxiety, but based on the responses to this board, is life-changing for some people, and has zero effect for others. It's fairly fast acting, so you should know within a week or so (as long as your doctor prescribes a therapeutic dose - my common lament).

Keep talking on this board. It might be a long two weeks before you see your doctor again.

Hanshan

---------- Post added at 22:03 ---------- Previous post was at 21:50 ----------

Hi Iain,

You sound like you're getting better.

Congratulations. Give yourself a pat on the back (no, seriously).

Hanshan

lauz_lea
10-01-12, 11:45
Thanks Hanshan

Well, I've woken up with a little anx and feeling really flat, can only describe it as depression - no will, motivation, no emotions other than frustration and anger at feeling so, so awful. Its so demoralising and stuggling to find hope that the upped dose will work.

Was sick again this morning (dry heaving I think it is when there's nothing to bring up), but got myself into the shower, which I've been finding hard to do of late - it involves motivation after all.

I keep telling myself its side effects, because I never felt like this before I started taking Seroxat again, but I've never felt like this on the previous occassions (although I've always started straight in at 20mg and never need to go any higher than that).

Starting to believe all the horror stories I've read about Seroxat, which is counter-productive and I MUST stop reading them but I can't stop looking our answers, for a glimmer of hope.

I had an terrible nights sleep as my daughter got in bed with us at 2.30am and I never really went back to sleep properly after that, which could account for feeling worse this morning.

Last night was the 3rd day of 20mg so I am expecting some slight increase in side effects, but nothing of major proportions.

I'm naturally fearful of having to try a new med in a couple of weeks if Seroxat doesn't "kick in", but at the same time I don't want to continue feeling like this so I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I know many people wouldn't have given Seroxat the amount of time I have with the side effects I've experienced, but I feel like I don't want to give up on it just yet because I have so many "what if's".

Sorry for long post, just gotta get it all out of my head and on here.

robinbrum
10-01-12, 15:18
Into week three on Pregabalin and the jury is still out really. I don't feel any benefits whatsoever. Fortunately I've had no recurrence of the slurred speech and dizziness which I suffered on Saturday morning. I can't account for that. Am seeing GP a week tomorrow when it will be reviewed. In short, I'm frustrated but I guess I'm playing a waiting game and I just have to be patient.
Iain and Hansan, your posts give me encouragement and I'm keen to see how you get on. lauz_lea I really hope your situation resolves itself soon and that you can get your medication sorted. I know how difficult it can be.

lauz_lea
10-01-12, 17:20
I had a phone consultation with my GP this afternoon and she's given me Mirt, gonna start reducing the Seroxat tonight and take 15mg of Mirt too. I felt so bad today I don't mind if Mirt knocks me out for 12 hours

hanshan
11-01-12, 13:49
Hi Lauz lea,

I'm so sorry to hear about how you are feeling. You can and will get out of this.

Mirtazapine at a low dose (around 15 mg per day) emphasizes the antihistamine (sedative) effect of the drug. This will help you to sleep, but may make you feel drowsy or dopey. If you need to get out of depression, higher doses have a more stimulating effect (around 45 mg per day, but some people are prescribed up to 90 mg per day). If you had the same side effects as me taking seroxat, you may have the same benefits taking mirtazapine.

Keep smiling,

Hanshan

---------- Post added at 00:49 ---------- Previous post was at 00:24 ----------

Hi Robin,

Maybe pregabalin isn't the drug that works best for you.

Have you talked about alternatives with your doctor?

Hanshan

robinbrum
11-01-12, 14:06
Hi Hanshan,
I'm seeing the doc next week (things move slowly here)but I feel I can't possibly make a judgement until the dose is increased significantly. I'm only on 100mg daily and I'm a big fella too. Hoping it will properly kick-in at some point but I remember feeling the same about Venlaflaxine and that practically lobotomised me at the highest dose...I was a little bit ga-ga on it. Don't want that at all.
I live in hope though.

hanshan
12-01-12, 10:36
Hi Robin,

Hope things work out well when you see the doctor.

The therapeutic range for pregabalin is 100 mg to 400 mg per day according to a study financed by Pfizer, which holds the patent on the drug. However, I'm taking 600 mg per day, and if anything I seem to think more clearly because situations which previously caused my anxiety to rise no longer do.

I have to say that my gut feeling is that if pregabalin is right for you, it works quickly. But I'm happy to be proved wrong.

Hanshan

robinbrum
12-01-12, 10:53
I fear you may be right Hanshan but I'm sure 100mg is completely ineffective - most people on here are on a much higher dose like yourself. To be honest I'm tempted to start taking 150mg a day because that's what I'll probably be upped to next week anyway. But I'm not sure if I should do that really.

hanshan
13-01-12, 11:00
Hi Robin,

I am in no way qualified to say this, but I don't think that an increase to 150 mg per day of pregabalin would make a dramatic change. I would switch to 200mg per day for two or three days, and if that had no effect, switch to 400 mg per day. If you still did not notice any positive change, it's probable that pregabalin is not the drug for you. Again, I have to stress that I have no medical or pharmaceutical qualifications, just the experience of taking this medication. (Also, the experience of years of anxiety - thankfully now mostly gone).

Hanshan

---------- Post added at 22:00 ---------- Previous post was at 21:54 ----------

Hi Lauz lea,

How is the mirtazapine going?

Hanshan

lauz_lea
13-01-12, 12:42
Hi Lauz lea,

How is the mirtazapine going?

Hanshan

Hi Hanshan,
So far so good with the Mirt but I know it's early days. I've reduced back down to 15mg paroxetine along side 15mg mirtazepine and felt immense relief after the first 15mg of mirt. I'm only 3 days in to adding the mirt so can't honestly say if it's the adding of the mirt or the reduction of paroxetine.

I saw the GP today (a different one to normal) who said it's more likely to be the reduction of paroxetine combined with a good nights sleep from the mirt as its way to early for the mirt to be doing anything. Either way, she is happy for me to stay on 15mg of each until I see my normal GP again in 10 days time.

I don't mind the tiredness the mirt causes in the day, there are ways to combat it but as I already had an SSRI in my system I doubt I will have a relapse of the usual side effects most seratonin type meds cause.

In all, so far, so good.

robinbrum
13-01-12, 16:29
Hi all
Hanshan,
I just doubled dose of Pregabalin to 100 mg (which I have done before) and boy do I feel odd...shaky, nauseous, yet oddly more alert...I can't say that it feels good to be honest.
Does this mean it's kicking in at last?
I should also say that I am loaded up on magnesium, b and c vitamins and Tesco's version of Berocca, all of which I took at the same time.
Might take some Valerian or camomile tea if I haven't calmed down in a bit..

snowgoose
13-01-12, 18:35
Hi Rob,
Berocca etc have habit of going through your digestive system quickly :blush:
so dont worry . I found I needed to sip mine rather than gulp as usual .
Vit B may change colour of your urine more yellow . no worry it is just excess being excreted I have been reassured .
Stay with it if you can ..apologise if you know this already .
take care
snow x

robinbrum
13-01-12, 21:54
Thanks snowgoose, the odd symptoms disappeared within about half an hour but after that I felt calmer and much less irritable than I have of late. I might just be having one of my odd good days though.
I hope all your different elixirs and cures are having the desired effect:)
Forgot to say as well as vitb and c, magnesium, berocca I am also on Asda Wellman which I believe contains ginseng and pumpkin seed oil but also has all the other requisite vitamins...I don't know if you can OD on vitamins, I mean lot unless you take them in industrial quantities???

hanshan
14-01-12, 06:40
Hi Lauz lea,

I'm glad to hear that things are going better. Daytime sleepiness from the mirtazapine should decrease, particularly if you increase the dose (sounds counter-intuitive, I know).

Although it's usually classed with the SSRIs, mirtazapine actually acts as an antihistamine at lower doses (hence the drowsiness). At higher doses, it affects serotonin and noradrenaline, giving it both a calming and a boosting effect, so it's really like three drugs in one. Also it targets a different range of serotonin receptors, so its serotonin effects are different from other SSRIs. In particular, it doesn't target the serotonin receptors that cause most of the side effects of SSRIs.

Despite what the doc said, I think the low dose antihistamine effect acts quite quickly, hence causing sleepiness almost immediately.

Keep smiling.

Hanshan

---------- Post added at 17:40 ---------- Previous post was at 17:22 ----------

Hi Robin,

It's sounding good if you're feeling better. It might mean that the pregabalin is having an effect. Nausea isn't high on the list of possible side effects - dizziness is the highest at 38%, but it does go in time. At least it shows that you're taking enough to have an effect.

I find pregabalin works best by blocking negative thoughts. For me, it's not a mood enhancer as such, but it helps me to get on with my life. I hope it can do something like this for you.

Hanshan

robinbrum
20-01-12, 15:01
Managed to see my GP (after a wait of almost 2 weeks)who has increased my dose from 100mg to 150mg a day. If there is no improvement after 7 days I am to increase the dose to 200mg a day. Then I'm to go back and see the GP to review it. Pretty much what I expected but at least this particular GP did not mention that old chestnut, cost...that was a refreshing change from the doctor I had seen before.
Still baby steps but I'm keeping my fingers crossed I will feel some benefit soon.

Iain53
23-01-12, 21:08
Hi Rob,

Glad to hear you've made some progress with the Dr. Are you starting to feel any benefit yet ?

Its been a while since my last post... Well i've been a bit up and down recently, but the deepest low was not really that bad. To be honest, Im so sensitive to the feelings of anxiety these days, that even normal levels are enough to cause a small blip. Being anxious about getting more anxious appears to be a curse that ill never escape.

Having said that, things are generally much better since starting on pregab. Ive even started standing up to my bosses, which is a new one (risky?) for me!

Im still taking 150 in the evening and 75 in the morning. I was taking the evening dose with dinner, but ive discovered in the past couple of days that taking it later in the evening leads to a much better morning.

No side effects to speak of, except for the rather annoying sexual one. Everything appears to work, but it takes ages, and isnt particularly satisfying. I only hope that if/when i reduce the sertraline that this will improve (im assuming there is a cumulative effect from both drugs).

Cheers,

Iain

tommy67
23-01-12, 23:51
Hi I am new here , but have been taking pregabalin for about 10 days now . I have suffered from panic anxiety attacks for years I am 50. I have been on seroxat prozac and short term diazepam and nothing seems to have worked like this . It is absolutely amazing . I have attended numerous Cognitive counseling programmes been assessed by clinical psychologists
I take 50mg three times a day .

I do get a bit dreamy and light headed and a bit forgetful . I forgot my bank pin number for the cash machine oops . . I need to write things down when I go to the shops . I went deliberately for milk but totally forgot that when I got to the shops .
I feel a wee bit slowed down and I have not tried to drive I would not feel safe but I can live with this .
I do not get the pain the depression I used to suffer . I used to spend nights lying on the sofa contemplating suicide . It was real pain and really dark .I could not live with it anymore the panic the anxiety .
I phoned the NHS 24 Psychiatric Nurses who when things got real bad would arrange a short term diazepam prescription . Diazepam just dulled me and made me feel depressed.
I really wanted to commit suicide but I could not do that to my kids who live with my ex wife nor did I want to upset my parents who are in their late 70`s . I was in turmoil pregabalin has been wow wonderful .

My main problem is that I have not worked for 14 months . Previously for 25 years I worked as social worker criminal justice supervising long term prisoners on release from custody .It was very very stressful and demanding .

With support from my GP and line manager I have been referred for ill health retirement with a local government health scheme . The independent medical examiners will not recommend ill health retirement until a report is completed by an Independent Psychiatrist . That is being arranged . I really need a yes decision as I could not go back to front line work full time as it is so stressful and demanding . If I say I am feeling better on pregabalin I am scared in case they send me back . I still worry but do not get that terrible anxiety . I know I would need pregabalin for ever to go back . but I am scared it would affect my judgment etc That is my worry now .
I do have to make decisions that could be challenged in court etc .
This is the best I have felt for years I feel I can go out now don’t feel that anxiety that pain the depressionbut I can’t face work as i am scared it would bringback the anxiety

robinbrum
24-01-12, 09:46
Hi Iain, as you say things are generally better for since you started Pregabalin and that's good to hear. You're bound to get the odd bad day, we all do. As for the sexual thing I remember being like that on different drugs in the past. As I recall you certainly have more "staying power" but yes it does take a long time to get the job done!!
There's a lot to be said for being single and celibate...although probably not a great deal!
tommy67 Well that's quite a story...I'm really glad you have had such a positive response to the Pregabalin...and more than a little envious. I have recently been upped to the same dose as you but it hasn't made any difference to my mood, which in fact is as low as it has been in recent weeks. I recognise only the negative symptoms you have mentioned, particularly tiredness and a little slowing down of my mental faculties too. I am also worried about driving as my work requires me to be on the road a fair bit.
Your job is a huge responsibility and by the sound of it played a big part in causing your anxiety and depression. What you also have to bear in mind is that it's still very early days with the Pregabalin and you have to give it longer to see what its long term effects will be. Best of luck with that anyway.
I still live in hope but I'm beginning to fear that I will soon be back to the drawing board as far as the medication goes.

tommy67
24-01-12, 14:48
Hi Iain, as you say things are generally better for since you started Pregabalin and that's good to hear. You're bound to get the odd bad day, we all do. As for the sexual thing I remember being like that on different drugs in the past. As I recall you certainly have more "staying power" but yes it does take a long time to get the job done!!
There's a lot to be said for being single and celibate...although probably not a great deal!
tommy67 Well that's quite a story...I'm really glad you have had such a positive response to the Pregabalin...and more than a little envious. I have recently been upped to the same dose as you but it hasn't made any difference to my mood, which in fact is as low as it has been in recent weeks. I recognise only the negative symptoms you have mentioned, particularly tiredness and a little slowing down of my mental faculties too. I am also worried about driving as my work requires me to be on the road a fair bit.
Your job is a huge responsibility and by the sound of it played a big part in causing your anxiety and depression. What you also have to bear in mind is that it's still very early days with the Pregabalin and you have to give it longer to see what its long term effects will be. Best of luck with that anyway.
I still live in hope but I'm beginning to fear that I will soon be back to the drawing board as far as the medication goes.

Feel for you really hope you can find something to help . Pregabalin has been a saviour for me

hanshan
25-01-12, 13:55
Hi Robin,

It seems that there is a group of people who get a strong positive response from pregabalin, often at a low dose and within a few days. This seems to be the case for Tommy and me.

From what I have read of the research literature, there are other people who can be helped by pregabalin, but their response is not so strong, and they need a stronger dose, within the range of 200 - 450 mg per day. It is this group that I believe doctors are underprescribing, perhaps because the doctors have heard of the responses of the first group and think they are indicative of the whole.

Hanshan

robinbrum
25-01-12, 17:49
Thanks Hanshan - your knowledge is much appreciated. When I next see my GP if he shows any reluctance to increase the dose I might just quote him some of your invaluable stats.
As of Friday I will be increasing the dose to 200mg as 150mg has so far made no difference to how I'm feeling. I'm seeing the doc in a fortnight and we'll take it from there.
Still hopeful:)

sarahlou1983
25-01-12, 20:08
I may be going onto this next week,anti depressant im on at the moment isnt helping me,please let me know how you get on it'll interesting to see is its one to try...

robinbrum
25-01-12, 20:42
Hi Sarah,
Jury's still out as far as I'm concerned but read through this thread and you will see the overall reaction is very positive with this drug.
Good luck in whatever decision you make:)

sarahlou1983
25-01-12, 21:13
thank you

tommy67
25-01-12, 21:49
I may be going onto this next week,anti depressant im on at the moment isnt helping me,please let me know how you get on it'll interesting to see is its one to try...

It has defo made a difference for me . Thats nearly a fortnight I even went to the gym today .
I am feeling really positive . Hope it is the same for you if you give it a try

JT69
26-01-12, 10:21

Hi Sarah,

Made a huge difference to my life it really has...I take it along with 7.5mg of mirtazipine.

Hope you find the same.

Jo.x

hanshan
27-01-12, 10:44
Hi Robin,

Although you may not be in the high / rapid response group, there may still be a good chance that you can get some relief with pregabalin at an appropriate dose.

If not, there are always new medications for anxiety in the pipeline, plus interactive therapies like cognitive behavioural therapy.

I have to add that I'm not a trained pharmacist or doctor, so you should always consult these professionals.

Hanshan

robinbrum
30-01-12, 09:12
Well, been on pregabalin 6 weeks now and on Friday I increased the dose to 200mg a day, as agreed with my GP. I did notice a slight difference in that I seemed to be more relaxed. I think at one point I may have accidentally taken an extra 50mg (sometimes I can be a bit forgetful) and I woke up the day after with a slightly thick head, not unlike a hangover, as many other users have reported.
I don't want to end up "knocked out" by this drug as I did with venlafaxine. I don't want to feel sedated.
As of now I don't feel any different, one way or the other. Maybe I have to hit the 300mg mark before it really has any impact.
So still very much a waiting game...

hanshan
31-01-12, 10:38
Hi Robin,

How is the increased dose working?

Hanshan

Iain53
31-01-12, 12:29
Just had a really good week, but out of the blue, the annoying background anxiety started yesterday.

I'm trying to ignore it, but its just 'there' - the muscle tension and feeling on edge etc. I wouldnt mind if there was a worry or event I could attach it to, but there isnt, or if there is, its so insignificant that no normal person would identify it as a stressor. I guess thats GAD all over.

How anyone would thing that CBT or any sort of talking therapy would be able to solve this is beyond be, but still...

Anyway, I've not deviated from my 150mg in the eve, 75 in the morning and i'm expecting it to pass but .... grrr..

From what i've read of other peoples stories on pregabalin, this sort of blip seems common. Damn annoying though.

Rob - did you get the hangover feeling again ? It only lasted a couple of days with me, although some days I get a bit of a cotton wool head first thing in the morning - it doesnt feel unusual.

Iain

robinbrum
31-01-12, 14:52
Hi Hanshan/Ian,
Yesterday I did notice that I was more relaxed and talkative than normal but I don't know whether this was the pregabalin or just normal mood fluctuations (I have good days and bad days with my GAD). But it did take me by surprise as I was shopping which normally triggers off at least a mild attack. I was asking myself, why am I not anxious? Why did I say hello to the shop assistant and engage them in conversation?
By way of contrast, today I feel very tired and really don't want to leave the house(though I have to).
The tiredness worries me because fatigue is a big problem for me and I have very low energy levels. I wasn't aware that pregabalin was sedating but I heard the same thing about venlafaxine and that was like valium to me.
When I see the GP next week I am hoping they will increase it to 300mg.
Iain, no more hangover feelings as yet but I find it incredibly hard to get up in the morning. The background anxiety thing is odd, I guess it's that your brain is cognitively programmed to feel anxious but the chemicals are doing something else. Hence a bit of mental confusion (like I had yesterday). Just a theory.
Glad it's still working for you mostly and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for myself.

Iain53
31-01-12, 15:56
Well, to be honest, its always been a bit like that. I've only ever had 2 panic attacks, but the first one about 20 yrs ago was lying on the sofa relaxing & watching TV. I didnt get an adversion to lying on the sofa after that - far from it! Took me about 6 months of tail-chasing before being put on Sertraline.

Since then i've mostly been well, interspersed with the occasional relapse. This one seems more protracted than the others though.

I'm still suspicious of the increase in Sertraline I had in November (especially after being on the same dose for 15 years), so I was hoping that the pregabalin would allow me to drop it back.

So the big (rhetorical) questions are:

1) Why the relapse after so long in remission
2) Did the increase in sertraline increase the anxiety levels even more ?
3) If the sertraline didnt cause the increase in anxiety, is it a good idea to drop it back when things arnt stable yet.

(I know, no-one can answer those, but that's whats bothering me at the mo)

Rob - I guess the trick is to keep making the most of the good days, not worry about the low energy on the others. I dont think it is sedating, but being anxious on its own is incredibly tiring. Even if our neurochemicals were perfectly sorted, I'd imagine that it would take quite some time to recover.

I used to find that even when I was doing fine, after a stressful time time at work, i'd stay fine until I took any time off...then i'd feel knackered.

Iain

Iain53
03-02-12, 10:28
So the big (rhetorical) questions are:

1) Why the relapse after so long in remission
2) Did the increase in sertraline increase the anxiety levels even more ?
3) If the sertraline didnt cause the increase in anxiety, is it a good idea to drop it back when things arnt stable yet.

(I know, no-one can answer those, but that's whats bothering me at the mo)

Feeling a bit better now - actually, i've had a nasty cold over the past week, which might affect the meds (and my general mood) I s'pose.

Currently i'm at 6/10 (and rising!) on my meaningless scale.

Doctor agreed with me about reducing the sertraline back to 100mg, and suggested that I skip the extra 50 every other day. Personally, i'd rather just split the pill in half, and take 125 every day for a couple of weeks and see how it goes. Bit worried 'bout doing that though as I'm obviously not that stable yet on the pregabalin...

Iain

hanshan
05-02-12, 11:25
Hi Robin,

How's where you are with your dose and how you are feeling?

Hanshan

robinbrum
05-02-12, 23:29
Hi Hanshan,
It's over a week now I've been on the 200mg dose. On some days I have definitely noticed a slight feeling of calmness when my anxiety was not as great as it normally is (during social interaction, shopping trips etc) so maybe that indicates it is having some effect. I am due to see the doctor this week and will discuss the matter with him. I am hoping he will further increase the dose to maybe 300 mg and then I may be able to get a more realistic idea of whether it is working for me or not.
"..being anxious on its own is incredibly tiring. Even if our neurochemicals were perfectly sorted, I'd imagine that it would take quite some time to recover." Think you might be right Iain, especially as I have just worked 14 straight days away from home averaging 14 hours a day...yep, come to think of it I am quite tired!!

robinbrum
08-02-12, 03:18
Update. Now on 300mg daily with the option to increase to 450mg after 2 weeks.
I feel the pregabalin has definitely taken some of the rough edges off my anxiety but I can't say I have noticed a significant improvement in my mood. Still not sure how much my anxiety is triggered by depression and how much the depression is the result of my anxiety. I don't really want to take any other kind of medication on top of the pregabalin but the GP did mention duloxetine as a posible alternative, although I know some people take anti-depressants in combination with the pregabalin.
Anyway, hope this higher dose will improve things for me.

hanshan
08-02-12, 10:55
Hi Robin,

If you feel the pregabalin is having some positive effects at 300 mg per day, the benefits may increase at a higher dose. If you do, it should work quickly.

Pregabalin can also be combined with an antidepressant. I take mine with mirtazapine, and the combination seems to work well.

Good luck with your treatment. Are you also getting any CBT or other face to face therapy?

Hanshan

robinbrum
08-02-12, 14:19
Hi hanshan,
The GP I saw didn't recommend that I combine the pregabalin with another drug as she said it would only confuse matters as I wouldn't know which drug was working for me. I found this a slightly puzzling answer to be honest. Another GP I saw said that it was an option to take an anti-depressant in conjunction with the pregabalin so there you go, that's doctors for you!
I am going to be having some kind of counselling but I have a blind spot where CBT is concerned because I keep picking holes in it and finding flaws and I don't want to spend all my time arguing with the therapist. I have been doing an online course but to be honest I think I will just be having normal counselling sessions and see how it goes from there.
Thanks as ever for your input, much appreciated.

xtremx
08-02-12, 16:33
Hi robinbrum, Your thread has made great reading. I got my prescription filled for pregabalin over 1 month ago but have put off starting it until now (I am a chicken),But had concerns because my prescription was from my dentist for nerve pain and was worried that if it worked for my anxiety and other things that pregablin can be used for that my doctor may not continue me on it. But my dentist said if i find it does work for everything he would be willing to keep me on it and also my local mental health team has told me they would lean on the doctor to continue me on it ,have been discharged from the mental health team due to the progress i have made on my own (but have been told they are still there to help)

Must say my prescription is for 150mg aday but just starting out on 75mg at first, So only taken it for 2 days but must say i feel good. Been in the pub for 2 days on my own+family for a few hours (only on orange juice as dont drink anymore 1 year sober)

So hopfully i get no side effects and increase to 150mg next week.

Iain53
09-02-12, 22:32
Quick update from me, i've just completed a week of reducing the sertraline by 1/6 to 125mg. Ok, thats not a lot, but i've learnt to take these things softly... Another week at that dose, then i'll be back to the 'old' 100mg dose I was on for so many years.

Suprisingly though I feel much better - Rob, I can understand what your Doc meant by not knowing which one would be helping. From what i've read though, pregabalin does not interact with other drugs, so presumably it is an easier propsition than some of the complicated cocktails people take for other conditions.

Now I'm not sure if the pregabalin is helping more now that i've reduced the sert., or if the sert was giving me extra anxiety as a side effect.

Either way, no complaints here. 7/10 on my scale :-)

Iain

xtremx
10-02-12, 17:39
Hi Robinbrum, I've only been on pregabalin for 4 days now at the starter dose 75mg and I think I'am seeing a big inprovement in my self i have been able to go out on my own for the first time in near on a year (3 days this week).
Only thing i can see in the way off any side effects is last night i just could not sleep was like a hour after taking it i was wide awake and alert and also my heart-rate seems to be up a bit (also I have got a head cold).
But other than that the main reason they gave it to me for nerve pain is working as well.
Just about to finish my first week at 75mg and then increase to 150mg one in moring and night.

robinbrum
13-02-12, 18:50
Hi everyone, just wanted to post a quick update.
I have been on pregabalin for seven weeks now and feel I have reached a crossroads now. Last Wednesday the GP upped my dose to 300mg ( 2 x 150 mg). I expected to feel enhanced benefits such as other members have reported here. However I don't really feel any greater sense of calmness which was the main benefit I have noticed and helps me particularly with my social anxiety. However I have been going through a difficult time and have been quite depressed for the last few days. I know pregabalin is not an anti-depressant but many people seem to report improved mood as one of the positive effects of this medication. Maybe it's just a phase I am going through, I don't know.
On the negative side, I do feel a bit spaced out at times and it's difficult to speak sometimes because of the "cotton wool" mouth which makes me sound like I've been drinking! Also my libido has taken a hit - sex drive heavily decreased. Just as well I'm sad and single!
I recently weighed myself for the first time since I started pregabalin and was alarmed to discover that I had gained 6 pounds. I have been eating slightly more and I don't know if this is consequence of the pregabalin but it means I have to be very careful because I am overweight bordering on the obese right now - this depresses me.
When I'm driving my reaction times are definitely a fraction slower but on the whole I drive better because I feel generally more relaxed.
Iain, is it difficult to know how the sertraline affects you in conjunction with the pregabalin? On the whole seems like you're doing well though and I'm pleased to hear that.
Extremx, glad you have had such a positive and immediate benefit when I know you were a bit apprehensive about taking pregabalin at first. Keep us posted on your progress.
I have the option of increasing the dose to 450mg after 2 weeks on 300mg.
Plenty for me to ponder.

robinbrum
14-02-12, 09:53
I must admit I am beginning to feel anxious about taking pregabalin now and unsure whether I want to increase the dose next week or stop taking it altogether. I have woken this morning feeling dizzy, light headed and slightly sick. And I have to work all day as a carer, have meetings and have to drive later. I can barely function myself and yet I have to look after someone else (which I always manage to do to the very best of my ability).
I will be dead by the end of the day.
I should not have googled and read this site : http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?drug=21723
:weep:

xtremx
14-02-12, 11:32
I must admit I am beginning to feel anxious about taking pregabalin now and unsure whether I want to increase the dose next week or stop taking it altogether. I have woken this morning feeling dizzy, light headed and slightly sick. And I have to work all day as a carer, have meetings and have to drive later. I can barely function myself and yet I have to look after someone else (which I always manage to do to the very best of my ability).
I should not have googled and read this site : http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?drug=21723

Oh my GOD. Not alot of positives mainly just negatives. But did notice one thing most of the people had been on it for 1+ years and don't think i noticed any being treated for anxiety (must admit only had a quick look).

I would make a guess and say that most of the people who posted on that site are on more that one medacation for treating fibro. And that may have something to do with all the negatives also notice a few taking about hair loss (well that happens anyway).

Hopefully your will not be on it for to long as most doctors i have spoken to talk about a 6 month-1 year for medication for GAD/anxiety to hopefully help recovery.

Iain53
14-02-12, 11:33

Hi Rob,

Sorry to hear you're not feeling great.

How long have you been feeling like this ? I have to say, it sounds rather familiar - i had a week or so of feeling like that once I was on 225mg. Sleep was the only escape for me.. If you are sure that the way you are feeling is down to the drug, and not another anxiety 'blip', I would suggest not increasing it just yet, and see if the effects pass after another week.

Take a couple of days off sick if you can, and try (!) to relax. If it doesn't pass after a week go back to your docs. If you get worse, go back earlier....

I think the best way to deal with those sites is to search for something you know is used by millions, if not billions of people. For instance, Motrin has some interesting responses :

http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?drug=17463&name=MOTRIN

Motrin is a trade name for..... Ibuprofen.

HTH

Iain

robinbrum
16-02-12, 07:13
Good point Iain, we take for granted something as commonplace as ibuprofen can act in all sorts of weird and wonderful ways - just like any drug really.
I think maybe it was a blip with the pregabalin as yesterday I felt fine. I made an effort though to keep real busy and visited my gym a couple of times...it seemed to help, I don't know why.
Odd how my "bad day" always seems to fall on a Tuesday...
As for the pregabalin, I will keep taking it at 300 mg for the next week, with the option of increasing it to 450mg next Wednesday. I'm already on a relatively high dose but I seem to have such a high tolerance for most medication.
I'm still finding it hard to judge just how effective it is but I will certainly give it longer.
The weight gain though, is a real concern.

robinbrum
20-02-12, 00:43
Now 9 weeks on pregabalin, 12 days since the GP increased the dose to 300mg...it is making a difference, I am noticeably calmer and the physical symptoms associated with anxiety and panic attacks are greatly diminished. I find myself asking, why don't I feel like I normally would in this situation...because I'm taking pregabalin, evidently. It has greatly helped my social anxiety, no doubt about it.
I've always found anxiety and depression hard to separate as emotions and was not sure whether or not the depression was the cause of anxiety or vice versa. Pregabalin has not changed my general happiness, not directly although I don't feel as low because I know I don't feel so anxious anymore...if that makes sense. However I still have experienced some very black moods lately which leads me wondering how I can tackle this as well as the anxiety.
I will be increasing the dose to 450mg this coming week, as approved by my GP. I just want to see if it improves things further. I will reduce the dose if I feel an increase in tiredness and if it continues to cause weight gain.
Hope everyone else is doing well.

xtremx
20-02-12, 14:34
Hiya robinbrum. Well I am now in my 3rd week wa due to increase to 75mg twice aday at the start of week 2 but had a sinus infection so was antibiotics for 7days my doctor told me to wait before increasing.

Today is my first day of 150mg and must say have notice no side effects on the 75mg or at the moment on 150mg.

I think my sleepness nights and high pulse rate in the first week were due to my sinus infection (but thats to be gone).

I am thinking of starting a slimfast diet to counter act the possible weight gain as i am well over weight as it is (but i am how to say well built like a brick poop house) LOL.

Pleased to hear you are finding it effective, But hopefully you can get over the black moods (god help me if i get them as i have a very short fuse and massive temper).

xtremx

Iain53
20-02-12, 14:51
Hi Rob,

(BTW is it Rob - in - brum, or Robin - brum !?)

Its encouraging to hear that it has finally started to kick in, given the disappointment you've had so far.

I think some people who start off on a higher dose experience a bit of euphoria for the first couple of days (I certainly did), which seems to give one a huge dollop of optimism. Maybe this is why people say that it lifts mood.... Perhaps it does, if only at the beginning. By starting off slowly, maybe you missed out?

In my case, the optimism subsided and I was left with was a reduced background anxiety. Things are definitely better, but there is still some way to go. Things don't feel quite as stable as they did - before, I was either anxious, or I wasn't, there wasn't one situation or event that made things worse.

Since I started on the pregab, I can be relaxed and happy for a bit, but certain subjects (some of which aren't really that stressful) bring about a big wave of apprehension and then the anx is back. To put a positive spin on it, at least now I can identify potential triggers, because before I couldn't.

So I've got some things to work on.

Hope you mood starts to improve too now that the anxiety is starting to lift.

Cheers,

Iain

robinbrum
21-02-12, 11:31
Hi all,
Xtremx, glad to hear from another "big guy", oddly though you seem to find the pregabalin working for you at a much lower dose than I've been on. Maybe size and medication is a myth that I've believed all these years, I don't know.
Did you say you'd been off booze for a year? Congratulations. I have cut down drastically - I had to - but I still have a drink about once a week, only difference is I don't go mad anymore - probably not a good idea anyway when combined with pregabalin.
I have short bursts of very intense anger but I rarely express it to anyone else as I hate losing my temper - that cause me anxiety in itself. This happens a great deal when I'm driving.
Iain, what dose are you on right now? Has the GP ever suggested increasing it? And would you want to?
It's good you can spot the triggers for your anxiety and I guess that helps to deal with it.
Would you say, on the whole you're still benefiting from pregabalin then? Any unpleasant side-effects?
Oh and name's Rob (Robert, which no one calls me) and I live in Birmingham - hence the name!

xtremx
21-02-12, 13:51
Hiya robinbrum.

I think what is happening for me is I am helping things along with going into using pregablin with a postive frame of mind after reading your posts has help me get into the feeling that this will work. Also my local mental health team has told me that is it works for my anxiety/panic disorder that they will tell my doctor to keep me on it or they will give it to me (even though they have dicharged me from the service they offer due to the progress i have made on my own).

And yes just over a year now with no booze had my last drink on the 2nd feb 2011,rushed into hospital on the 3rd, they thought it was a heart attack but was put down to a major panic attack (scared me so much gave the booze up straight away).

Used to drink like a fish all day every day (20-30 pints) done that for about 20 years.

I find that my temper like yours is short is short bursts but i find it hard to hide it. Lucky i dont drive. But i get pavement rave not road rage but thats a differerent story.

All the best chris

robinbrum
29-02-12, 11:22
I have been a week now on pregabalin at 450mg per day and it is difficult to truly assess what kind of impact it is having. I have had some bad news which has made me depressed and it feels like the depression is winning out over the anxiety. I don't think there is such a thing as depression without anxiety so the pregabalin is just not as effective when my mood is very low.

Normally my depression passes within 24-48 hours and oddly it always is worse on a Tuesday, for no obvious reason I can think of. At the moment I am just very tired but I don't know if that is due to the increase in the dose or the fact that I have a lot going on at the moment and sleeping is not great.

I don't know whether I will have my dose increased next time I see my doctor. I could try 600mg a day because I know there are people who take this much. However, I do worry about the long-term implications of taking pregabalin and I am not sure if I should be considering another anti-depressant to take in conjuction with it.

Other people seem to report an improvement in mood while on pregabalin but it hasn't really done that for me. However most of the time it has definitely controlled my anxiety and I am very thankful for that.

I am expecting too much?

I hope everybody else is getting on well.

xtremx
29-02-12, 13:40
Sorry to hear you are having problams that are adding to your anxiety.

I am having a bad day at the moment, been to the doctor to see if they will prescribe the pregabalin to me instead of my traveling to the hospital dental team to get it as it is working well for my anxiety and the Bas=-[/d said no. 1, the cost .2 its not licenced for us in anxiety/gad 3. Its addictive.
Man i wanted to kill that guy have to pay £40 odd to travel to get it again but i am thinking i am fed up with doctors letting me down so i am thinking of leaving my doctor and not getting another again and stopping all medication i am on and going it alone.

I explained to him how i used to be not leaving the house for weeks on end not bothering about my personal up keep and my painic attacks and trips to A&E because of major attacks and he said i understand Bo=-=cks does he.

Buy the time i got home from the doctors i a man aged 40 cried, fed up with thinking i am going forward but really i end up further back (1 step forward 40 backwards).

I am at a loss

sry to all tried to blank out the swear words

loreen
29-02-12, 13:55
Hi

Your doctor is wrong!!!

It is licenced for anxiety in the uk, and I was told by my doctor that it is no more addictive than an anti depressent.The only thing that is right is the cost issue-it is very expensive to prescribe so is not usually used until other options have been tried.

Hope this helps

Loreen x

robinbrum
29-02-12, 14:00
Hi Extremx, it shocks me to hear what I have just read but I'm not entirely surprised because I know that cost is a big issue with this drug. However I would take big issue with your GP over it not being licensed for GAD, it is a bit of grey area but he knows full well that its use as an anti-anxiety drug is becoming more and more widespread... just print off this thread and website to show him.

It is ludicrous that you have to visit a dentist to get a prescription...presumably they won't prescribe it on a long-term basis anyway?

I would go back to your GP and demand to see a psychiatrist. I think you will find they will be a lot more receptive and more likely to give you a prescription. They don't seem to have the same restrictions as GPs and are much more open-minded...I don't think they have to worry so much about budgets because they are independent of the practice (could be wrong there, mind).

Sometimes you have to put your foot down with these people, I had the same problem when I first asked for pregabalin.

Keep fighting and don't let the you-know-whats grind you down mate.

xtremx
29-02-12, 14:07
Hi

Your doctor is wrong!!!

It is licenced for anxiety in the uk, and I was told by my doctor that it is no more addictive than an anti depressent.The only thing that is right is the cost issue-it is very expensive to prescribe so is not usually used until other options have been tried.

Hope this helps

Loreen x

Hi thanks loreen. Have tried citalopram made me ill and sertraline after afew day was contemplating suicide. So in my discharge notes from my local mental health team notes it says will not try standerd antidepressants.

This has just set me back as was really happy with the progress i have made after only 4 weeks on pregabalin and after the promises i was made.

A friend of mine has offered to help me out with some prozac as they have a stock pile of it but i dont think it is worth the risk.

So looks like it is go it alone, has made me think about drinking again to help forget and numb the anxiety (my wife before she left for work asked me if anything i want from shops I said a bottle of vodka) But have not touched a drop in just over a year. That would really kill my marriage and me

Have to man up and just take the knocks as i should be used to it.

Just waitting on the mental health team to contact me see if they will live upto the promise to help me

Thanks Robinbrum, I will fight on but at the end of the day i feel it is a lost cause. Chasing the pot of gold at the end of the raindow may as well chase the dragon.

robinbrum
29-02-12, 14:15
Don't touch the prozac, it doesn't work short term and besides it hasn't been prescribed to you - never a good idea.

When you contact the mental health team stress the urgency of the situation and demand to see a psychiatrist who can prescribe you the drug that you so clearly need.

Have you got enough meds to tide you over?

loreen
29-02-12, 14:15
Get in touch with the mental health team and tell them what has happened.You are entitled to have the medication,and your well being is the most important thing.

Please dont take the prozac-you have already been told not to have ssris, and I know they wont help you.

Phone them now-please!!!

Loreen x

xtremx
29-02-12, 14:59
Yeah have just under 3 weeks left and i will make my appointment with the dental team but like you said they will not prescribe it long term.

The annoying thing is pregabalin will save my doctor money in the long run as it is helping with my anxiety and also my nerve pain (in my jaw) and also i have a neuro problem called benign fasciculation syndrome (muscle twitching) and pregabalin is used for that (the doc was going to give me gabapentin for it awhile ago).

So it is helping me on 3 things tried to explain it to him but he brushed me aside and waste of time asking for a second opinion as he is the head man.

---------- Post added at 14:59 ---------- Previous post was at 14:22 ----------

Will just got of the phone with the mental health team (I had to chase them as they did not phone me back).

They are going to look into it as they have said pregabalin is as robinbrum said licenced for anxiety (so my doctors was wrong).

The only problam they could find is the strange way i came to be on it via a dentist but if it works for me its a good thing will try to contact my dentist to see if they are going to prescribe it to me again as to save me a 40 mile trip for nothing if they say no and that will be braking a promise from them as i told them about being worried about taking it and if it worked for my anxiety having the doctor tell me they will not give it to me and the dentist said if that is you main worry just start taking them (I from my understanding means we will continue prescribing it).

I will update and try not to lose faith.

I should live by what i say.
“Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn’t arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I’m going to be happy in it.”

dan1234
29-02-12, 22:36
Yeah have just under 3 weeks left and i will make my appointment with the dental team but like you said they will not prescribe it long term.

The annoying thing is pregabalin will save my doctor money in the long run as it is helping with my anxiety and also my nerve pain (in my jaw) and also i have a neuro problem called benign fasciculation syndrome (muscle twitching) and pregabalin is used for that (the doc was going to give me gabapentin for it awhile ago).

So it is helping me on 3 things tried to explain it to him but he brushed me aside and waste of time asking for a second opinion as he is the head man.

---------- Post added at 14:59 ---------- Previous post was at 14:22 ----------

Will just got of the phone with the mental health team (I had to chase them as they did not phone me back).

They are going to look into it as they have said pregabalin is as robinbrum said licenced for anxiety (so my doctors was wrong).

The only problam they could find is the strange way i came to be on it via a dentist but if it works for me its a good thing will try to contact my dentist to see if they are going to prescribe it to me again as to save me a 40 mile trip for nothing if they say no and that will be braking a promise from them as i told them about being worried about taking it and if it worked for my anxiety having the doctor tell me they will not give it to me and the dentist said if that is you main worry just start taking them (I from my understanding means we will continue prescribing it).

I will update and try not to lose faith.

I should live by what i say.
“Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn’t arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I’m going to be happy in it.”

This thread has shocked me and made me very worried. I went to a private psychiatrist because the NHS one was ********. He prescribed pregabalin... Wonder if i'm going to have a fight on my hands to get my GP to prescribe this.

If there is a clinical need, and the drug is approved by NICE. Which it is, it should be provided. If SSRI's SNRIs cannot be tolerated then pregabalin is what should be prescribed.

---------- Post added at 22:36 ---------- Previous post was at 22:36 ----------

This thread has shocked me and made me very worried. I went to a private psychiatrist because the NHS one was ********. He prescribed pregabalin... Wonder if i'm going to have a fight on my hands to get my GP to prescribe this.

If there is a clinical need, and the drug is approved by NICE. Which it is, it should be provided. If SSRI's SNRIs cannot be tolerated then pregabalin is what should be prescribed.

Pregabalin is licenced for GAD. Do you want a printout from the BNF?

dan1234
04-03-12, 11:55
Just to add my experience in - this may help others.

I started on the 24/2 on 50mg X3. Straight away I felt that it helped with the anxiety. This was until yesterday. I took a single amitriptyline 10mg tablet at 10pm to help me sleep, and the next day the anxiety was worse. Not sure if the amitriptyline is relevant in this at all?? I have increased my dose to 200mg/d and on Thursday am seeing my GP with the intention of increasing up to 300mg if my shrink gives the all clear. It's not the wonder drug I have hoped for yet, but it is early days and the dose is very low. I think once I get into the 300-450mg daily dose things will significantly improve. No side effects which is a plus. There was some discussion about weight having an effect on dose, I am 14.1 stone if that is of any relevance.

robinbrum
04-03-12, 13:25
Well, I am heavy and it took 300mg before it even touched the sides, so to speak. It has also cause me to gain roughly half a stone which I am not happy about but there you go...I needed to diet and exercise more anyway.
I can't speak for amitriptyline but I can't see anyway that the pregabalin made you more anxious, that's for sure...maybe something with the combination of the two drugs???
I would certainly not describe it as a wonder drug but it certainly does what it say on the tin for the anxiety side of things - provided you are on the right dose.
For me depression is a major issue and I think this is the precursor to my anxiety, rather than the other way round. I have learnt this taking pregabalin which has not really changed my mood in terms of giving me a "happiness boost" but maybe I'm being unrealistic in expecting it to do that.

xtremx
04-03-12, 14:02
Hi, Hopefully find out where I stand on monday. Hospital was supposed to phone me on thursday but that was a no show friday was the same.

Just have to wait for the mental health team on monday se what they say (as my old case worker was on leave last week).

I think on side effects does anyone notice sensitive skin my chest, thighs and scalp feel like sunburn (could be taht the last few day i have been a restless sleeper).

All the stress of what the hell is going to happen.

Thursday my day was full of anger my temper was really bad. Friday anxiety like mad did manage to bit of diy for my dad but injured my chest a reacurring thing so friday i was painicing i was about to have a heart attack (my HA coming back).
Saturday held it together just had both my kids as wife did a 12 hour shift (but i was about 80 stressed).
Today my skin is all sensitive to the touch, legs and arms feel heavy and tired.

I put this all down to my doctor being a ----- ?

Hopefully i will get some good news during the week

Chris

robinbrum
04-03-12, 15:31
Hi Chris,
I hope you do get the news you're looking for, I know it's frustrating feeling as though you are in limbo all the time. I think with the backing of your case worker and the mental health team you should be able to continue taking pregabalin..I would be amazed if your doctor could overrule them. Like I said before though, there should be the option of seeing a psychiatrist who doesn't need to consult with your doctor about prescribing medication - why would they, they should know a bit about mental health issues.

As for side effects. I have a rash on my leg and seem to itch more than normal - don't know if it's connected though. My legs are heavy and stiff but that is often the case and I have also been exercising to try and get off those extra pounds I've put on since taking pregabalin.

Let us know how you get on and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

dan1234
04-03-12, 16:04
Chris- I hope you get the pregabalin. If its helped you, then I would be very surprised if they stopped it. What dose are you taking if you don't mind me asking?

xtremx
04-03-12, 17:15
Thanks Robinbrum & dan1234. I with both of you hope they get it sorted.

dan1234 at the moment I am on 150mg aday as that is the level for nerve pain that is what it was prescribed. But the my case worker said to me to keep a eye on it and see if it works for my GAD and so far it does.
But I would say taking it every 12 hours does not seem enough about 6 hours in i start to feel a slight slump (not only in nerve pain but my general feelings) so think it needs to be upped abit.

Just at the moment i seem to have flu like symptoms every joint is aching have a temperature BUT I am putting that done to being ran down (if such a think).

UPDATE Hospital never phone me last week (reason he must have forgot will hopefully phone me tuesday afternoon)
My old case worker phoned me (after i had to leave yet another message) they well look into things and contact me on thursday.
So still none the wiser.

dan1234
05-03-12, 14:31
Any news? Fingers crossed for you chris.

xtremx
05-03-12, 17:05
Hi dan1234 The only update is

Hospital never phone me last week (reason he must have forgot will hopefully phone me tuesday afternoon)
My old case worker phoned me (after i had to leave yet another message) they well look into things and contact me on thursday.
So still none the wiser.

xtremx
06-03-12, 14:15
Hi Dan & Robin. Just had a phone call from my dentist (LOL hard way to do it) He has said if i make my next appointment next week he will give me 3 months worth of pregabalin save me going hospital every month costing £40 a time.

And I am going to up my dose to 3x75mg aday as from monday.

Also he is going to write to my doctor and let them know and hopefully the mental health team will be able to talk to the doctor within the next 3 months and sort it out properly for me.

If not if in that time my nerve pain goes from my jaw the dentist will stop giving it to me and i dont wish to lie to them saying i still have the pain if i dont, just to get the meds for something the doc could give me.

Sort of goodnews, I can rest abit and hopefully get back on track with out the worry for at least 3 months or so.

Chris

robinbrum
06-03-12, 15:02
Glad to hear that Chris, buys you some time and hopefully you can get things sorted out with the mental health team and bypass your GP who sounds like a right A-hole...
Best of luck,
Rob.

loreen
06-03-12, 19:31
Good to hear you are ok Chris.

I would keep pushing the mental health team so that you don't have to worry about going back to the dentist for more tablets.

Three months seems like a long time,but it will soon go,and I think you will feel more relaxed when it is finally sorted.

Take care

Loreen x

dan1234
06-03-12, 20:38
Thats good news. Your dentist sounds very reasonable!

xtremx
07-03-12, 10:00
Thanks you 3 good to know there is good support around.

? Robinbrum do you space your dose out during the day as I am going to up my to 3x 75mg so working it out 9am-3pm-9pm dose that sound a good way of doing it or 9am 150mg and 9pm 75mg.
This may sound or is stupid but my way of thinking is to space it out rather than a larger dose in the morning

Cheers chris

robinbrum
07-03-12, 10:11
Hi Chris
I space it out in 3 equal doses.

Considering upping the dose to the recommended max of 600mg if my GP approves this. It does not seem to be as effective as it was a couple of weeks back, despite the increase from 300mg to 450mg. I am a little worried about taking such a high dose though and issues of dependency.

Hope everyone else is getting on well.

Rob.

loreen
07-03-12, 12:18
Hi Chris

I too space mine out in 3 equal doses- 3x100 mg which is working out fine for me.

Loreen x

dan1234
07-03-12, 13:19
I'm now taking 4X 50mg, so 200mg/d. Took 150mg as opposed to 200mg yesterday and today I felt worse again, but still not as bad as before I started the pregabalin.:)

Seeing my GP tomorrow and would like to go to 3X100mg ( prefer this option), or 2x 150mg. I think a SNRI like duloxetine would be good to add, but I doubt my GP will be willing to do that. Are any of you taking propranolol modified release ? Is it any good?

loreen
07-03-12, 22:56
Hi Dan

I agree that duloxetine is a good mix with pregabalin.

I am lucky to get both.However they are both expensive meds, and it may depend on how good your GP is.

As I have gone through all the SSRIs with no good results,I think that helped .

The NHS choices website is very good , and it helped me understand that we as patients can have a say in our medication.

Hope you are lucky enough to give them a try.

Loreen x

dan1234
08-03-12, 17:00
Hi Dan

I agree that duloxetine is a good mix with pregabalin.

I am lucky to get both.However they are both expensive meds, and it may depend on how good your GP is.

As I have gone through all the SSRIs with no good results,I think that helped .

The NHS choices website is very good , and it helped me understand that we as patients can have a say in our medication.

Hope you are lucky enough to give them a try.

Loreen x

Seeing my GP in an hour. Will suggest adding in duloxetine. Hope she will prescribe me the pregabalin without fuss.

loreen
08-03-12, 19:32
How did you get on Dan?

dan1234
08-03-12, 19:58
How did you get on Dan?

Got the pregabalin prescribed without a problem :ohmy:.

Didn't ask for duloxetine. Also got prescribed propranolol, co-codamol, tramadol and naproxen and didn't want to take the piss. :D

loreen
08-03-12, 20:20
Quite a mixture :ohmy: !

Hope it works for you

Loreen x

dan1234
08-03-12, 20:40
Quite a mixture :ohmy: !

Hope it works for you

Loreen x

Ye bad back and all that.

xtremx
15-03-12, 13:22
Hi all, Update just got back from hospital They gave me 3 months worth ,not really think they messed up only 56days worth as taking 3 aday (so they messed up). But also got a phone call on tuesday night from the mental health team (I am discharged from them) Saying they have spoken another doctor at my practice and they have said they will give me pregabalin so have a appointment next week to discuss it with them.

So good news.

Been on 225mg aday now for 2 weeks or so and feel good no side effects or anything.
But when i picked-up my new lot the pharmacists told me to look out for dry mouth (as this is comman when taking it long term).

OOOOO and maybe a side effect slight weight gain (but could just be pigin out). But I am trying the slim fast stuff to hopefully control any weight gain cause like robimbrum has said about himself (sorry if I am wrong) I am also over weight.

But hopefully with felling better I will be able to get out more and walk the weight off.

Chris

loreen
15-03-12, 15:15
Good news Chris, they have at last agreed to meet your needs! :)

Really pleased for you. I get a dry mouth,but it is such a minor side effect I don't worry about it.

Hope they continue to work for you!

Loreen x

robinbrum
15-03-12, 16:08
Hi everyone, feel it is time for an update so here goes...

It is not good news to report. I have been on pregabalin for exactly 3 months now ( hard to believe, time goes so fast). I started on 100mg a day but only really started to notice any difference after 300mg. I then had the dose increased to 450mg as I didn't feel I was enjoying the full benefits at that dose.

Unfortunately I now seem to be feeling no benefits at all and also unpleasant side-effects which make me wonder should I carry on taking this drug. Twice this week I have suffered panic attacks, once on the street completely out of nowhere, the old familiar sickness came back and I had to run back home, feeling very distressed. Then one day I felt I couldn't go out until my neighbour had disappeared outside. A couple of weeks ago these things didn't bother me and I had this real sense of calmness that I could only attribute to the pregabalin.

If I carry on like this I will give the pregabalin up...however, and this is probably going to sound bizzare, but would increasing the dose further to 600mg make it more effective? I will talk about this with my doctor next week (if I can get an appointment!).

Chris, I'm glad to hear you got it sorted with the pregabalin and I hope it continues to be effective for you.

I would be interested to know if anybody else here suffers with depression and are you on meds for it? One rarely goes without the other in my experience, but which came first the chicken or the egg? I may discuss anti-depressants with my doc as I know duloxetine has been mentioned by several people on here..is it any good?

xtremx
15-03-12, 17:46
Hi robinbrum, Sorry to hear that pregabalin seems to be failing you and that you have started to have panic attacks.

I must say form me it has taken the edge right off but sometimes i still feel a panic attack coming on but I seem to be able to pull myself back from having a full blown one (hopefully I have not jinxed it).

This may sound really strange but when I was taking St Johns Wort i was taking i started taking 300mg twice aday and then upped them to 300mg 3times aday but after a few months the effects of it started to wear off and then someone suggested a really strange thing instead of increasing the dose to 1200mg to reduce the dose back to 600mg and it worked after a few days i started to feel the benefit of it again (would still be on it but for some reason i had to stop)." This may sound like madness but worth typing I think"

So what i am trying to say is maybe you need to twink it abit maybe up or strangely down to start feeling the benefit again.

I hope you manage to sort it out as you seemed to be coming on well on it.

BTW you said about side effects are they new side effects of ones you have had from the start.

All the best Chris.

robinbrum
15-03-12, 18:47
Headaches have increased, particularly bad in the morning. The general sense of fogginess I don't like which I guess is the price you pay for dumbing down the anxiety. But also feel dumbed down intellectually speaking, I mean simple things like counting change, breaking off in mid-sentence and forgetting what it was I was going to say...there definitely appears to be some slight cognitive impairment. Also, I have always suffered from derealisation and the pregabalin somehow only enhances this...that said it has also made me more sociable until now, when i just want to lock myself away and see no one.

Chris, the same thing had crossed my mind about the pregabalin as the St Johns Wort...it may be the higher dose doesn't suit me, i just don't know...

One other thing, my libido was pretty healthy before I started taking pregabalin. Now it is
non existent. This is definitely more apparent as the dose has been increased.

xtremx
15-03-12, 19:15
As i have said I am only on 225mg and I am finding that to be a nice dose for me (at the moment). It seems like you have a lot going on of which could be put down to the pregabalin but also things in general.
It is a awful shame that it has possible started to make things worse for you but hopfully you can work though it.

Like you say the dose you are on could just be too high for you, I think myself if you increase it any higher it is only going to leave you feeling worse if it does not work, maybe it is a case off lowering the dose after talk it over with the doctor.

And as for the libido that is a big part of my life the major enjoyment for me and so far touch wood pregabalin is having no effect.

So maybe a slight change of the dose is what you need.

Try not to lock yourself away you will only make matters worse for you. Be strong and you will beat this. I have faith in you as you and this thread have been a great help to me and others.

Chris

dan1234
15-03-12, 19:48
As i have said I am only on 225mg and I am finding that to be a nice dose for me (at the moment). It seems like you have a lot going on of which could be put down to the pregabalin but also things in general.
It is a awful shame that it has possible started to make things worse for you but hopfully you can work though it.

Like you say the dose you are on could just be too high for you, I think myself if you increase it any higher it is only going to leave you feeling worse if it does not work, maybe it is a case off lowering the dose after talk it over with the doctor.

And as for the libido that is a big part of my life the major enjoyment for me and so far touch wood pregabalin is having no effect.

So maybe a slight change of the dose is what you need.

Try not to lock yourself away you will only make matters worse for you. Be strong and you will beat this. I have faith in you as you and this thread have been a great help to me and others.

Chris

Personally I would at least try going onto 600mg/d and see how you get on. It's all a bit of trial and error.

Do you guys take it 2x or 3x a day.

robinbrum
16-03-12, 09:56
I take 150mg 3x daily.

I think I will ask for the dose to be increased to 600mg but as I say, I do have reservations about it. It is quite possible the GP will refuse anyway, in which case I am back at square one again.

dan1234
16-03-12, 13:19
I take 150mg 3x daily.

I think I will ask for the dose to be increased to 600mg but as I say, I do have reservations about it. It is quite possible the GP will refuse anyway, in which case I am back at square one again.

Without knowing what you have tried, and what your exact problems are,it is difficult to help - but I am considering adding an SNRI with the pregabalin. My psychiatrist would rather add in a SSRI but I don't want that. I've heard lots of good things about pregabalin and duloxetine taken together.

Are you on other medications aswell?

My plan is to increase the pregabalin to 150mg x3 + hopefully duloxetine + CBT.

What have you tried on the therapy front ? Anxiety Uk offer reduced price therapy, CBT, and hypnotherapy.

robinbrum
16-03-12, 14:28
Hi Dan,
I have also considered taking duloxetine as I have read some encouraging things about it on this thread and other places on the net. I am on no other medication at present. I too am reluctant to try an SSRI as I have been on most of them before and they have never worked in the long term for me. That said, I also tried venlafaxine and that didn't work for me either.

My GP advised against taking pregabalin and duloxetine together as I wouldn't know which one was being more effective than the other and it may be a waste of time. However, after being on pregabalin for three months, I know that it is treating my anxiety to some degree but has not in any way helped with my depression, which of late has been very bad. So if I were to take duloxetine now and my mood improved, I could definitely say that was the reason for it.

I am doing a CBT course online at the moment but am not finding it very helpful...I need a therapy that reaches parts of the brain other therapies don't reach! What that is I do not know but I am back on the waiting list for some "talking therapy".

Hypnotherapy intrigues me but can it be successfully used to treat anxiety and depression?

I must do more research...

dan1234
16-03-12, 14:49
Hi Dan,
I have also considered taking duloxetine as I have read some encouraging things about it on this thread and other places on the net. I am on no other medication at present. I too am reluctant to try an SSRI as I have been on most of them before and they have never worked in the long term for me. That said, I also tried venlafaxine and that didn't work for me either.

My GP advised against taking pregabalin and duloxetine together as I wouldn't know which one was being more effective than the other and it may be a waste of time. However, after being on pregabalin for three months, I know that it is treating my anxiety to some degree but has not in any way helped with my depression, which of late has been very bad. So if I were to take duloxetine now and my mood improved, I could definitely say that was the reason for it.

I am doing a CBT course online at the moment but am not finding it very helpful...I need a therapy that reaches parts of the brain other therapies don't reach! What that is I do not know but I am back on the waiting list for some "talking therapy".

Hypnotherapy intrigues me but can it be successfully used to treat anxiety and depression?

I must do more research...

According to anxiety Uk, hypnotherapy has helped a lot of people. There is no harm in trying it, especially if you have already tried the normal treatment of CBT. Only one of my friends has tried hypnotherapy for depression, self harm and suicide, she says that it has helped and feels a difference.

What I am getting at is that it is worth considering.

http://www.anxietyuk.org.uk/get-help/what-kind-of-treatment-is-best-for-me/clinical-hypnotherapy/

robinbrum
16-03-12, 15:00
Thanks for the link:) Will look into it...

dan1234
16-03-12, 15:16
Thanks for the link:) Will look into it...

Anxiety UK also offer telephone + webcam CBT if that is of interest. Might be better than using a computer. The personal input may help.

I am not trying to push anxiety uk at all ( I have nothing to do with them) but they try and get you therapy within 2 weeks.

http://www.anxietyuk.org.uk/get-help/therapy-services-in-the-uk/

Not sure about your area but maybe they have an IAPT scheme?

I wonder if the real reason for not prescribing duloxetine and pregabalin together is due to cost?

loreen
16-03-12, 19:42
Dan you are correct there!!

Doctors are told to prescribe cheap ssris such as sertraline or citalopram,and need to be more aware of what is right for the patient.

Duloxetine is expensive,and pregabalin even more so,but if it stops the spiraling effects of serious mental health problems,then it is surely right to prescribe an expensive drug which is likely to work more effectively.

This issue makes me so angry!!

Loreen x

dan1234
16-03-12, 19:54
Dan you are correct there!!

Doctors are told to prescribe cheap ssris such as sertraline or citalopram,and need to be more aware of what is right for the patient.

Duloxetine is expensive,and pregabalin even more so,but if it stops the spiraling effects of serious mental health problems,then it is surely right to prescribe an expensive drug which is likely to work more effectively.

This issue makes me so angry!!

Loreen x

That is the NHS for you!

Does the duloxetine help with your anxiety?

Dan

robinbrum
16-03-12, 20:06
I wonder if the real reason for not prescribing duloxetine and pregabalin together is due to cost?

You know, you must have read my mind but I was going to refrain from being cynical in case I came across as having it in for the NHS and moaning about it all the time. But it is hard not to be cynical.

I'll leave it there...

loreen
16-03-12, 22:41
Hi Dan

Yes the duloxetine helps with my anxiety,and seems to work to almost 100% when combined with 300mg of pregabalin. Duloxetine has also completely got rid of the associated depression I had-something I am very pleased about,as anxiety is bad enough on it's own,without having that awful low feeling as well.

Loreen x

robinbrum
16-03-12, 22:48
Hi Loreen,
Question is, did you meet with a lot of resistance from your GP about taking duloxetine in combination with pregabalin? I'm assuming your getting your prescription on the NHS?

dan1234
17-03-12, 01:01
Suppose it depends on your NHS trust etc. My GP wouldn't prescribe pregabalin without a specialists input which I had to get privately. I asked him for duloxetine which he seemed a bit reserved about. In a way I want to take diazepam daily but feel it would be the wrong and a dangerous path to go down.

robinbrum
17-03-12, 09:02
I don't think I could afford to go privately. I get sick of all the politics and the jumping through hoops you have to do on the NHS. I had to go through psychiatric services because I was tired of the GPs prescribing the standard SSRI's that have proved ineffective in the past. I would never have been told about pregabalin if I hadn't, you can be certain of that. But to do that I had to be discharged by the Mental Health team, which meant I could not receive CBT or counselling (which I wasn't getting anyway).

Now, if the GP decides for whatever reason (most likely financial) that I shouldn't be given an SSRI as well as pregabalin, I would have no choice but to go back to psychiatric services in order to get the prescription I needed - thereby discharging myself from the Mental Health team and give up any counselling or talking therapy I might be having. So perhaps just as well I'm not getting any, (though I clearly need some).

It's all designed to put you off getting the treatment you need and that I have paid my taxes for all these years with so little return. But I'm wise to their games now and i won't let them deter me.

Sorry for the rant!!! Don't get me wrong, I love the NHS and we should be proud of it in this country. I feel very sorry for our American friends and the terrible medicare system they have over there. You just got to fight for rights here.

dan1234
17-03-12, 09:16
I don't think I could afford to go privately. I get sick of all the politics and the jumping through hoops you have to do on the NHS. I had to go through psychiatric services because I was tired of the GPs prescribing the standard SSRI's that have proved ineffective in the past. I would never have been told about pregabalin if I hadn't, you can be certain of that. But to do that I had to be discharged by the Mental Health team, which meant I could not receive CBT or counselling (which I wasn't getting anyway).

Now, if the GP decides for whatever reason (most likely financial) that I shouldn't be given an SSRI as well as pregabalin, I would have no choice but to go back to psychiatric services in order to get the prescription I needed - thereby discharging myself from the Mental Health team and give up any counselling or talking therapy I might be having. So perhaps just as well I'm not getting any, (though I clearly need some).

It's all designed to put you off getting the treatment you need and that I have paid my taxes for all these years with so little return. But I'm wise to their games now and i won't let them deter me.

Sorry for the rant!!! Don't get me wrong, I love the NHS and we should be proud of it in this country. I feel very sorry for our American friends and the terrible medicare system they have over there. You just got to fight for rights here.

I agree with your post. The NHS trainee psych wouldn't prescribe me anything. I still think it is because I was asking for pregabalin and therefore she was thinking of cost.

loreen
17-03-12, 19:31
Hi,

I was offered the duloxetine by my GP,as I had no good response from SSRIs and the cheaper SRNI veneflaxine(not sure on spelling sorry) is not recommended if you have high blood pressure.

I asked for the pregabalin after doing extensive research on the internet.My doctor wasn't familiar with it,but was happy for my input,and after a few clicks on the computer to find out dosage etc, he prescribed it to me with no problem.

It just shows that different doctors and different health authorities work in different ways. I suppose I have been very lucky to have such a good doctor,who is prepared to work outside of the box!!

Loreen x

dan1234
17-03-12, 19:46
Hi,

I was offered the duloxetine by my GP,as I had no good response from SSRIs and the cheaper SRNI veneflaxine(not sure on spelling sorry) is not recommended if you have high blood pressure.

I asked for the pregabalin after doing extensive research on the internet.My doctor wasn't familiar with it,but was happy for my input,and after a few clicks on the computer to find out dosage etc, he prescribed it to me with no problem.

It just shows that different doctors and different health authorities work in different ways. I suppose I have been very lucky to have such a good doctor,who is prepared to work outside of the box!!

Loreen x

Yep, indeed it does. Would you say the duloxetine has helped a lot ? I really want to try it, the prospect of suffering from the side effects of this drug puts me off though.

loreen
17-03-12, 21:12
The duloxetine has worked very well.
I wasn't expecting it to work, as no other meds had done anything positive for me. It took just 2 weeks to kick in,and the side effects for me were almost none existant.
A dry mouth for a few weeks,and a bit tired during the afternoon,but nothing which interupted my day.
Maybe I was just lucky,but the biggest effect for me was to feel human again!!

Loreen x

robinbrum
17-03-12, 21:25
That's kind of encouraging because you have experienced some of the same problems I have in the past (by the way, venlafaxine was no good for me though there are others who have found it to be very useful).

I will definitely be asking my GP about duloxetine next week because it's clear that my "condition" can not be treated by pregabalin alone.

dan1234
17-03-12, 21:46
That's kind of encouraging because you have experienced some of the same problems I have in the past (by the way, venlafaxine was no good for me though there are others who have found it to be very useful).

I will definitely be asking my GP about duloxetine next week because it's clear that my "condition" can not be treated by pregabalin alone.

I feel I am probably in the same category as you. I have a p doc appointment next friday. Loreen sorry if you have posted this but what dose are you on of the pregab and duloxetine ?

loreen
18-03-12, 08:47
Hi Dan

I am on 3oomg of pregabalin(100mg 3 times a day)

60mg of duloxetine once a day(taken at night)

Loreen x

dan1234
18-03-12, 11:24
Thanks Loreen,

I am taking 2X 150mg, so I might try and get 3x100mg. For the first week or so after increasing the dose, I felt so much better but then after a week or so, it seems to go downhill. Maybe I am building a tolerance? Anyone else find the same.

robinbrum
18-03-12, 14:25
Sounds like you might benefit from an increase Dan, rather than changing the times that you take the pregabalin. Anyway, keep your options open, like I am doing.

dan1234
18-03-12, 14:28
Sounds like you might benefit from an increase Dan, rather than changing the times that you take the pregabalin. Anyway, keep your options open, like I am doing.

Maybe but I have only been on pregabalin for less than 4 weeks, and am reluctant to go to 450mg/d yet.

xtremx
21-03-12, 16:41
Hi, Got my doctors appointment on friday (fingers crossed it goes well) Hospital gave me 56 days worth (i think she got it wrong) should of been 3 months but next appointment with the dental team is 6 months away but they told me if i have any problems getting a script from the docs to phone them and they will send me a script for more.

Still on 225mg aday (3 x 75mg) and what a change i am a new person only seem to get mini panic attacks but with the pregabalin I am able to control them.

Thanks for this thread for opening my eyes to pregabalin as i would of refused them if it had not been for reading about it on here.

Chris

loreen
21-03-12, 17:53
Hi Chris,

Hope all goes well on Friday.At least you have a back up plan with the dentist if the doctor is difficult with you.

I am a great believer in knowledge is power, and I always read lots before I take any medication. My doctor is very good at listening to what I want and giving things a fair try. It's a shame all doctors aren't so understanding.

For me, pregabalin has given me control of my panic .It's still there in the background, but I am in charge. A very good feeling :)

Good luck and let us know how you get on .

Loreen x

dan1234
21-03-12, 18:29
Sorry to bore, but I have an update.

Because I went private for the psychiatrist, the NHS are refusing to offer CBT saying there is a clash etc. In the end I am being discharged and going for CBT privately.

I am very happy with my pdoc, and am seeing him on Friday.

May discuss going on 600mg/d pregabalin, and adding duloxetine or equiv in. Also need more diazepam. Does anyone here taking diazepam on a daily basis?

Dan

haz
21-03-12, 18:43
Sorry to bore, but I have an update.

Because I went private for the psychiatrist, the NHS are refusing to offer CBT saying there is a clash etc. In the end I am being discharged and going for CBT privately.

I am very happy with my pdoc, and am seeing him on Friday.

May discuss going on 600mg/d pregabalin, and adding duloxetine or equiv in. Also need more diazepam. Does anyone here taking diazepam on a daily basis?

Dan

Hi Dan,

As I think you know, I take diazepam daily, 11mg at the moment and prescribed by my NHS psychiatrist.

I would stick with the pregabalin for a bit longer, it took so much for you to get it. You get "up and down" days with all meds and it's still early days.

The "lottery postcode" regarding NHS prescribing is shocking!

Good Luck.

Haz. :)

dan1234
21-03-12, 19:09
Hi Dan,

As I think you know, I take diazepam daily, 11mg at the moment and prescribed by my NHS psychiatrist.

I would stick with the pregabalin for a bit longer, it took so much for you to get it. You get "up and down" days with all meds and it's still early days.

The "lottery postcode" regarding NHS prescribing is shocking!

Good Luck.

Thanks, I think a low dose of diazepam may be the way forward. The NHS is quite frankly a disgrace. The mental health team said pregabalin is not a drug they prescribe or would prescribe.

haz
21-03-12, 21:42
And yet, I had to beg them to take me off Pregabalin! :shrug:

Your right, there is no consistency. My Psychiatrist, and the one I had before, are both adamant that diazepam is an important part of my treatment. I have chosen to reduce it gradually though so see how I get on.

loreen
21-03-12, 22:55
This has really shocked me!!

Pregabalin in licenced by Nice to be prescribed for GAD/panic.
Why would your mental health team not prescribe it? I suspect because of the cost.
A disgrace, and a failing on the very professionals who are there to help you.
I am also shocked you have to go private to get what you need in the way of help and support.
I am angry ,but also very grateful to live in an area where I can access help without resorting to paying.

Loreen x

dan1234
22-03-12, 16:38
This has really shocked me!!

Pregabalin in licenced by Nice to be prescribed for GAD/panic.
Why would your mental health team not prescribe it? I suspect because of the cost.
A disgrace, and a failing on the very professionals who are there to help you.
I am also shocked you have to go private to get what you need in the way of help and support.
I am angry ,but also very grateful to live in an area where I can access help without resorting to paying.

Loreen x

Yep. My GP kept true to her word, and prescribes pregabalin on the advice of a consultant psychiatrist. I only wanted CBT from the NHS mental health service and never asked them to take over medication. I made it clear I wanted to stick with my consultant psychiatrist.

dan1234
23-03-12, 18:44
Saw the p doc today and we have added in 20mg duloxetine, and will build it up to 60mg. Seeing my GP next thursday, to get a repeat of the rest of my medications and discuss a referral for my back. Have to see him again in 3 weeks.. going to cost me a fortune, but at least I am getting the help I need.

robinbrum
29-03-12, 13:36
Last week I saw my GP to review my medication. It was decided to increase my dose of pregabalin to 600mg daily – the highest dose that can be given for anxiety. I can't really say for sure that it's still working for me anymore. The issue is clouded by the fact that I have been very depressed lately and there's been a great deal of stress due to unavoidable circumstances. I know the medication is still “working” because I still feel “spaced out” at times and my heart doesn't race like it normally does when I am really stressed. But I feel like it is only masking things and I am every bit as anxious in my head as I was before I started taking pregabalin.

I told my GP about my concerns and she was sympathetic. However she was not in favour of giving me duloxetine as well as pregabalin - “It is not something we would normally do” were her words. She advised me to carry on witb the increased dose for at least a couple of more months before reviewing the situation. Again, this illustrates the inconsistencies in different GPs in different practices, some of whom approve the use of pregabalin in conjunction with an anti-depressant and others who seem to think it goes against established practice. It strikes me none of them really knows what they are doing and this does worry me a little.

Anyway, I don't really feel any enhanced effects from 600mg except perhaps enhanced tiredness and foggy thinking...I have really struggled to write this post whereas before I was writing two or three times a week. I think I have already made my decision and that it is likely I will be tapering off pregabalin in the coming weeks and months. I realise that the true root of my problem is endogenous depression which often results in chronic levels of stress and anxiety...in other words the pregabalin has been treating the symptoms of my depression rather than the cause, ie depleted levels of serotonin in the brain. At least that's my theory, others may disagree.

For those of you who have really benefitted from the use of pregabalin, I am very happy for you and I hope it continues to help you. I will be very interested to see how people are getting on in six to twelve months time and beyond that.

I just wanted to bring you up to date with my situation. I feel my days with pregabalin are numbered but we shall see. Sadly, it hasn't been any kind of wonder drug for me but I don't know if such a thing really exists.

dan1234
29-03-12, 15:28
Last week I saw my GP to review my medication. It was decided to increase my dose of pregabalin to 600mg daily – the highest dose that can be given for anxiety. I can't really say for sure that it's still working for me anymore. The issue is clouded by the fact that I have been very depressed lately and there's been a great deal of stress due to unavoidable circumstances. I know the medication is still “working” because I still feel “spaced out” at times and my heart doesn't race like it normally does when I am really stressed. But I feel like it is only masking things and I am every bit as anxious in my head as I was before I started taking pregabalin.

I told my GP about my concerns and she was sympathetic. However she was not in favour of gple of more months before reviewing the situation. Again, this illustrates the incoiving me duloxetine as well as pregabalin - “It is not something we would normally do” were her words. She advised me to carry on witb the increased dose for at least a counsistencies in different GPs in different practices, some of whom approve the use of pregabalin in conjunction with an anti-depressant and others who seem to think it goes against established practice. It strikes me none of them really knows what they are doing and this does worry me a little.

Anyway, I don't really feel any enhanced effects from 600mg except perhaps enhanced tiredness and foggy thinking...I have really struggled to write this post whereas before I was writing two or three times a week. I think I have already made my decision and that it is likely I will be tapering off pregabalin in the coming weeks and months. I realise that the true root of my problem is endogenous depression which often results in chronic levels of stress and anxiety...in other words the pregabalin has been treating the symptoms of my depression rather than the cause, ie depleted levels of serotonin in the brain. At least that's my theory, others may disagree.

For those of you who have really benefitted from the use of pregabalin, I am very happy for you and I hope it continues to help you. I will be very interested to see how people are getting on in six to twelve months time and beyond that.

I just wanted to bring you up to date with my situation. I feel my days with pregabalin are numbered but we shall see. Sadly, it hasn't been any kind of wonder drug for me but I don't know if such a thing really exists.

Hi,

Are you really on no anti-depressant ???? If you are depressed I would say that you are probably more in need of one than the pregabalin esp if you think it is causing your anxiety.

I am on pregabalin and duloxetine, both prescribed by a cons pysch, my GP wouldn't prescribe either on her own... maybe it is time to see a specialist? I think loreen is too, and as I understand it both have really helped her.

After trying a few interventions with a GP such as a SSRI, CBT etc, it is really time to see an expert. They deal with similar cases day in day out, and know what is best for you. They are also less cautious when prescribing due to their extra knowledge and experience.

robinbrum
29-03-12, 16:18
It was a consultant psychiatrist who suggested I try either pregabalin or duloxetine but I don't think she mentioned them in combination...she said have a think about it then go and see your GP who eventually prescribed pregabalin.

It is very hard sometimes to distinguish between depression and anxiety but I know that the depression came first and it is that that I should have dealt with first. The fact that you and loreen both are taking duloxetine as well as pregabalin shows that it works but of course it makes treatment that little bit more expensive...

dan1234
29-03-12, 16:27
It was a consultant psychiatrist who suggested I try either pregabalin or duloxetine but I don't think she mentioned them in combination...she said have a think about it then go and see your GP who eventually prescribed pregabalin.

It is very hard sometimes to distinguish between depression and anxiety but I know that the depression came first and it is that that I should have dealt with first. The fact that you and loreen both are taking duloxetine as well as pregabalin shows that it works but of course it makes treatment that little bit more expensive...

Just as a thought, could you ring your consultant psych and say the pregabalin is working to a certain extent, but you really feel that adding duloxetine in would be a good idea due to the depression, and the severity and long standing nature of your anx/depression.

If the cons psych says yes then your GP can't refuse. Yep it is an extra cost, duloxetine is £22.70 for 28, 30mg capsules, and £27.72 for 28, 60mg ones.

Pregabalin is £64.40 for bid, or £96.60 for tid.

You deserve the best treatment regardless of cost, so if you want to go down the duloxetine route, then I would really insist on that happening. You are the patient, and it is you who suffers so make a polite fuss.

robinbrum
29-03-12, 16:42
Trouble is Dan, I have now been discharged from the psychiatrist because I am now under the care of the mental health team and am about to start having some talking therapy with them. I can not be under the care of both at the same time - why I do not know but hey that's the NHS for you, such things are not possible! I have to just hope that the doctors will be sympathetic and guided more by the best interest of the patient rather than that of the fundholders' practice.

dan1234
29-03-12, 16:54
Trouble is Dan, I have now been discharged from the psychiatrist because I am now under the care of the mental health team and am about to start having some talking therapy with them. I can not be under the care of both at the same time - why I do not know but hey that's the NHS for you, such things are not possible! I have to just hope that the doctors will be sympathetic and guided more by the best interest of the patient rather than that of the fundholders' practice.

Could you not ask a doctor from the mental health team???? Otherwise next time see a different GP. Your options do seem limited.. What medications have you already tried?

loreen
29-03-12, 20:11
Hello

I agree with everything Dan has said.

I am on the two meds,both prescribed by my GP. They really do work well together. I have not seen anyone but my GP.

You sometimes have to push for expensive meds,and I did alot of internet research to back me up when I spoke to my GP.

You need to sort out the depression.I don't think pregabalin will help with low mood. Duloxetine has given me a much better look on life. It was the anxiety which caused my low mood, but the two needed to be treated together for me to feel good again.

Please don't give up! You deserve the best treatment available for your well being.

Loreen x

dan1234
29-03-12, 22:18
Loreen would you say that the pregabalin has had a greater effect on the anxiety compared to the duloxetine ?

loreen
30-03-12, 08:38
Hi Dan

I think they have both worked equally well on my anxiety. I haven't tried pregabalin on its own, but when used together my anxiety and panic are reduced by about 85-90 %. Not a bad result!!!!

The test will be when I come off the duloxetine. I am hoping to use the pregabalin long term as anxiety is my on going problem,and if that can be controlled by one med,then I will be happy to take it long term.

Loreen x

dan1234
30-03-12, 09:35
Hi Dan

I think they have both worked equally well on my anxiety. I haven't tried pregabalin on its own, but when used together my anxiety and panic are reduced by about 85-90 %. Not a bad result!!!!

The test will be when I come off the duloxetine. I am hoping to use the pregabalin long term as anxiety is my on going problem,and if that can be controlled by one med,then I will be happy to take it long term.

Loreen x

Hi Loreen,

I am on pregabalin 600mg daily (the max dose) and feel that my anxiety is maybe 30% or so better.

I am now taking duloxetine 40mg, and hope that together with CBT, it will make all the difference. I have only been on the duloxetine for less than a week and at a low dose, but I haven't felt any improvement on that front yet.

Dan

loreen
30-03-12, 22:03
Hi Dan

I think you need to be on 60mg before you see a real improvement.

I understand you want to increase slowly, but I would wait until the duloxetine is on the correct dose, and you have been on that dose for 2 weeks before you judge whether it is working for you.

Fingers crossed!

Loreen x

dan1234
31-03-12, 10:33
Hi Dan

I think you need to be on 60mg before you see a real improvement.

I understand you want to increase slowly, but I would wait until the duloxetine is on the correct dose, and you have been on that dose for 2 weeks before you judge whether it is working for you.

Fingers crossed!

Loreen x

Hi,

I want to increase to 60mg/d but my pdoc wants to take it slowly, considering I am on 8 or so different medications.

I emailed him to ask if I can go up to 60 mg/d, will know on monday.

Dan

dan1234
06-04-12, 12:45
Rob any improvement? I am on 60mg duloxetine and 600mg pregabalin. Will see how it pans out.

dan1234
19-04-12, 18:26
All gone quiet in da house.

robinbrum
20-04-12, 15:25
I'm sorry I've not updated this recently but I have now been on 600mg of pregabalin for about the last six weeks. I saw the GP last week and he was of the view that pregabalin should not be prescribed for anxiety blah blah blah we've been there before haven't we? Anyway I told him that I wanted to taper off the drug as I no longer find it very effective.

The problem with pregabalin is this. At such a high dose I an feeling increasingly sedated or just plain spaced out. Although it is at times effective in combating my severe anxiety, the down side is that I feel more and more withdrawn from the world around me and that is making it harder for me to function effectively in everyday life. The sense of feeling dead inside is only compounded by the effects of this drug. It wraps you in a warm, protective blanket that is quite reassuring when you're feeling highly stressed but is not much good when you're trying to be organised or just doing everyday things like driving, remembering things or even just trying to walk in a straight line! People often get the impression that I am drunk or “on” something...which, of course, I am.

If you suffer from derealisation or depersonalisation, I would caution against the use of pregabalin, at least in high doses. It makes it worse by making it seem much better, not dissimilar to smoking pot or consuming large amounts of alcohol. Once in a while, maybe that's OK but it's become an everyday state of mind for me and personally, I don't like it.

On lower doses I found that pregabalin wasn't quite doing it for me but then I realised I was attacking my problem from the wrong angle; that being, depression is the cause of my anxiety, which is actually more of a symptom and therefore I must try the well-worn route of anti-depressants once again.
My GP told me I had not tried fluoxetine before, which surprised me as I thought I had taken it sometime in the 90s. My friend is on it and she said it has done wonders for her. The GP recommended mirtrazapine as he said it would calm me down and help me sleep. I said to him I don't want to be sedated, he replied that is a common side effect...isn't it always the way with anti-ds...

Dan I hope you're doing OK on the 600mg and that you don't suffer the same effects as I have. My GP did not have a great deal to say about duloxetine...I will see a different doctor next time.

It has been quite a struggle to write this entry as concentration is much worse on pregabalin and generally my thought process is much slower and it is more difficult to do things like this. One day I will list all the pros and cons of pregabalin in a much clearer form, based entirely on my own experience, obviously.

I hope everyone else is doing fine. For those who have been on it for some time, it would be interesting to hear how you're getting on with pregabalin.

MrRedShirt
20-04-12, 15:35
Thanks for posting this, Rob.

I've been following this thread with interest, as Pregabalin could be next on the list of things that are tried for me (if Duloxetine doesn't work).

Regarding ADs, I would say that Mirtazapine seems to be quite different from most of the others in that it helps with sleep (and eating!). It did cause me to feel really groggy for the first few days, but after that I really didn't think I felt any more sedated during that day than normal. Unfortunately for me, it didn't quite work well enough against my anxiety, hence my switch to duloxetine (and insomnia).

I too would be interesting in hearing a broader range of experiences with pregabalin.... anyone?

Cheers,
MrRed.

robinbrum
20-04-12, 15:44
Regarding ADs, I would say that Mirtazapine seems to be quite different from most of the others in that it helps with sleep (and eating!). .

I need something to WAKE ME UP...good luck trying to find that on the NHS!
When you say eating, do you mean you eat less or more? I have put on a ton of weight since taking pregabalin I feel hugry all the time.

MrRedShirt
20-04-12, 15:47
I need something to WAKE ME UP...good luck trying to find that on the NHS!
When you say eating, do you mean you eat less or more? I have put on a ton of weight since taking pregabalin I feel hugry all the time.

Mirtazapine turned me into a food-hoover. And a shameless one at that. :wacko:

Prozac is supposed to be quite an 'activating' AD? Or perhaps and AD with the addition of something like Wellbutrin? (I'm no doctor... so I don't really know what I'm talking about here.)

robinbrum
20-04-12, 15:54
Mirtazapine turned me into a food-hoover. And a shameless one at that. :wacko:

Prozac is supposed to be quite an 'activating' AD? Or perhaps and AD with the addition of something like Wellbutrin? (I'm no doctor... so I don't really know what I'm talking about here.)

I will probably give Prozac a go. As for Wellbutrin, I asked for that some time ago even demanding to see a psychiatrist about it and other amphetamine-based treatments...basically, no one will prescribe it for depression in the UK. If there's an exception i would be interested to know about it.

MrRedShirt
20-04-12, 16:04
I will probably give Prozac a go. As for Wellbutrin, I asked for that some time ago even demanding to see a psychiatrist about it and other amphetamine-based treatments...basically, no one will prescribe it for depression in the UK. If there's an exception i would be interested to know about it.

Maybe if you come off the 600mg Pregabalin you'll feel less sedated?

The duloxetine is fairly activating, in that I feel a bit jittery, but at the same time it makes me drowsy in the afternoon.

xtremx
20-04-12, 17:01
Hi robin, Nice to see you post again.

I am doing so so at the moment on pregabalin still only on 3x75mg a day have asked my doctor about increasing it to 300mg but she told me no, As i am finding that it seems to be not doing the job as well as it was (i have started to be naughty and have started drinking again after 15 months on the wagon).

Must admit got really hammered last night as it felt like i was drinking water and i forgot myself got in a 1am but this morning my panic attack seem to be getting stronger again.

My doctor gave me some diazapam 2mg to try when i start to have a panic attack but have yet to try them as have a real fear of starting something new (as it was took me over 2 months to pick up the courage to take pregabalin).

So i know i must not start down the long road of drinking again (just needed to let of some steam) But starting to feel like I am failing.

robinbrum
20-04-12, 17:39
Hi Chris
Really can't understand why you were refused the extra pregabalin but is it due to the cost factor once again? Pregabalin, unlike diazepam, is not known to the best of my knowledge to be an addictive drug and yet it has the same sedative qualities as diazepam.
I too have increased my drinking and I have to be very`careful taking such a high dose of pregabalin.

xtremx
20-04-12, 18:34
Hi Robin.

It is a real shame that pregabalin is not working for you as reading your thread on it has been a real insight into the drug.

I can't understand my doctors reason to refuse a increase but nothing i can really do about it. I went to see her and had my little girl with me and the doctor was running a hour late + also had my son wondering around town waiting for me so when i got into she the doctor she told me she will not talk to me/see me when I am anxious (I thought i was reasonable ok).

But when i asked her about the increase she told me really i should be looking to cut it down not increase (and they think i am insane) and she sent me on my way with a script for diazepam and as i said have never tried them before.

So i phoned my local mental health team (who are being very helpfull) and talked to my old case worker and she told me to just try again and ask for the increase or for something else to add to the pregabalin to boost it.
Just a case of wait and see strange thing is i know have the hospital giving me pregabalin and the doctor so i seem to be building up a stock pile of the drug I don't know which one to tell as the hospital are giving it me for nerve pain and the doctor for anxiety.

And from me to you decrease the drinking, I am going to stop it again before it gets out off hand again as it was first time in 15 odd months and wow it hit me about 12 pints and other peps were getting me strange shots of this and that it was insane, BUT at no stage did i think about panic attacks or anything i was on fire.

But it cannot allow it to start again if I cannot control my anxiety issuses i can at least control the drinking.

robinbrum
20-04-12, 19:36
Could you have a bigger **** for a doctor? Please don't see that one again. I am sick of them.
At least you have a decent mental health team.
You did great to stay off the booze for as long as you did. I understand the temptation to hit the bottle, I really do.
I'm still looking for my "cure". Prozac is next on the list!

xtremx
20-04-12, 19:47
Well I wish you all the best on your quest and I hope you find the correct script for your needs and at the end of the day you find your "cure".

I find it hard to believe that in this day and age that mental health is such a hard disability to treat correctly and yes i say disability as to some it such a demoralising punishing mistress it can break the strongest of people for now reason.

I kept telling myself everyday that i need to get a grip and force whatever this is out.
Maybe there is a script out there for me.

All the best

dan1234
21-04-12, 12:24
I think part of the problem is that GP's are undertrained/ not experienced enough/ not interested in mental health.

Mental health is a murky water with depression and anxiety mixing together - a proper consultation with a psychiatrist is in all probability helpful.

My GP was shite - only prescribes SSRI's and yours sounds the same in that she is crap.

Dan

joy
01-06-12, 15:39
I'm on150mg twice a day since Tues previous to that 75mg twice a day for two weeks also on the new med Valdoxan 25mg once a day
I think the anxiety is slightly better but I feel totally drugged that my husband has forbidden me from driving. Does this get better cos I dont like it

Joy