PDA

View Full Version : Possibly bipolar bf

JoG
20-12-11, 19:21
I sometimes wonder if it is a good idea having a bf with problems. I knew he had depression and slight sleep issues when we started dating a year ago but he kept secret how down he was and exploded and lost control when we went on holiday in July. His sleep problems are also worse and it effects my sleep to and I don't like the fact that he gets prescribed temazapam frequently. I try to give advice to help him but it just gets shot back in my face

Mindful
20-12-11, 22:09
Eeeek.. i am not sure i could cope with a partner who had more issues than me.

But that said, do you love him? If so, then i guess you take the highs with the lows, as he does with you. :hugs:

JoG
20-12-11, 22:38
I do love him but he unconsciously makes me feel as bad as he does. I had waited till I thought I could cope with a relationship and I am not sure if being in relationships has made things go backwards for me. I did say him after his explosion in july that I would not stay with him if that happened again. He completely lost control that, you could not reason with him and he pushed everybody out of the way. Since that he is seeking a diagnosis and I have not tolerated any snappyness.

Not having much experience with relationships I really don't know what I should do

william wallace
20-12-11, 23:07
He's not bipolar lass, you would know all about it if he was bipolar. Bipolar is way beyond what you are describing. The lad is obviously suffering with anxiety and depression, and needs to manage his anger and aggression a bit better. You are doing the right thing by not tolerating his outbursts, and the next thing you need to manage are the guilt trips.
The problems are his and you should'nt be made to feel bad so be firm but nice with it. A :hugs: goes a long way with someone who is feeling down and insecure.
Regards, WW. PS here's one for you too, sounds like you need one:hugs:

JoG
20-12-11, 23:42
Well it is certainly more than plain depression. He plains refuses to take advice or support from me. Even though me and him are the same age I have much more life experience with mental issues it has to come from a trained professional before he thinks it is right. I am usually quite strong but this is wearing me down. I just need a break. Thank you for your help:)

Anxious_gal
21-12-11, 00:22
Having had depression and anxiety myself, don't let him drag you down with him.
I've had to "break up" with a friend due to her issues but it's not just that, we all have problems but when people start to take their problems out on you and it affects your quality of life and your happiness then well you have a choice to make.
You can't help anyone who does not want it.

JoG
21-12-11, 00:36
I have always said to myself I will not continually take abuse and I believe in second chances that is why he got one. He understands I will not take that crap again and I have slowly regained control over how to help the anxiety in my own way. I don't want anxiety anymore it is wasting my life and I feel it is a burden on my family and friends even though they say it is not