PDA

View Full Version : 1st time panic attack

haighy
20-12-11, 21:14
hi there folks not entirely sure what to do here. ill explain to you what happened and if someone could tell me if it is definately a panic attack it would be very much appreciated. 2 weeks ago i whent to bed as usual around 12.30 am and at about 1.10 am i woke up with my heart beat going mad my left arm was numb and tingly and the left side of my jaw was sort of achey. i thought i was having a stroke at the time i whent straight to the hospital and they thought it was a panic attack. it has been 2 weeks now my left arm still quite numb and tingly and i start to panic like im terminally ill. the pain moves from my arm to my shoulder and into my back. im only 25 and very scared can someone help me. thanks:weep:

SomeOddworld
20-12-11, 21:18
The symptoms persist because your worry of them does, try to distract yourself from them as best as possible (easier said than done).

Sounds like a classic panic attack.

haighy
20-12-11, 21:24
its more so at night im so scared ive got a tumour or cancer or something like that going on. its definately a panic attack you would say. :weep:

SomeOddworld
20-12-11, 21:33
Sounds like health anxiety, I have it too, one tip, DO NOT GOOGLE YOUR SYMPTOMS, especially with that abomination WebMD (there was an article that called it a prescription for fear), it will probably say you have something serious wrong but you have to keep telling yourself there's nothing wrong. Go on the health anxiety forum and take a look around, you aren't alone with all these symptoms :)

Mindful
20-12-11, 21:45
hi there folks not entirely sure what to do here. ill explain to you what happened and if someone could tell me if it is definately a panic attack it would be very much appreciated. 2 weeks ago i whent to bed as usual around 12.30 am and at about 1.10 am i woke up with my heart beat going mad my left arm was numb and tingly and the left side of my jaw was sort of achey. i thought i was having a stroke at the time i whent straight to the hospital and they thought it was a panic attack. it has been 2 weeks now my left arm still quite numb and tingly and i start to panic like im terminally ill. the pain moves from my arm to my shoulder and into my back. im only 25 and very scared can someone help me. thanks:weep:

I reckon you slept heavy on your arm, your arm went numb ( happens to us all) you woke, maybe confused for a second as to why your arm was numb, adrenaline kicked in ( fear) your heart started beating super fast ( classic panic) jaw was achey, i wonder if you had been grinding you teeth in your sleep, happen to notice it when you woke, so now within seconds of waking you have a numb arm, a racing heart and a jaw that is achey. ..I think most would panic and think the worse.

You got checked out, they arent concerned and neither should you be. x

haighy
20-12-11, 21:45
them words make me feel better thanks. the problem wwith me is im so scared of dying its untrue. im on medication proponlol beta blockers and diazepan 2mg but im still little bit bad. i feel horrible because it makes me short tempered with my 2 young children will i ever get over this.

Mindful
20-12-11, 21:51
them words make me feel better thanks. the problem wwith me is im so scared of dying its untrue. im on medication proponlol beta blockers and diazepan 2mg but im still little bit bad. i feel horrible because it makes me short tempered with my 2 young children will i ever get over this. Yes you can get over this, educate yourself about why and what is happening, this site will offer you all the info you need. x

haighy
20-12-11, 21:59
im so grateful to your help. what can i do to get some sleep because im exhausted but thats when it first happened to me so im very scared of going to bed and if i do wake up ill feel myself jump, ive also lost my appetite since last night too is that normal.:blush:

Mindful
20-12-11, 22:06
im so grateful to your help. what can i do to get some sleep because im exhausted but thats when it first happened to me so im very scared of going to bed and if i do wake up ill feel myself jump, ive also lost my appetite since last night too is that normal.:blush: Aww bless you. x

The first thing you can do is to understand that it was a panic attack, panic attacks although very frightening, cannot harm you!

Secondly, have a look around this website, read up on what a panic attack is, how it works, why it happens and so on.

Also, read this link http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=91696

I urge you to give it a try, it will explain everything and show you how to help yourself get well again x

haighy
20-12-11, 22:11
i will give it a try for sure, can your mind play tricks on your body to make you think your hurting somewere on your body. im also getting very depressed with it now sorry to keep droning on at you but this is stressing me out now. im scared to go to bed but just speaking to you is easing my anxiety and panic.:)

Mindful
20-12-11, 22:22
i will give it a try for sure, can your mind play tricks on your body to make you think your hurting somewere on your body. im also getting very depressed with it now sorry to keep droning on at you but this is stressing me out now. im scared to go to bed but just speaking to you is easing my anxiety and panic.:) Your mind when overwhelmed by anxious thoughts can play many tricks on you, if you concentrate on any symptom long enough it will appear and the more you worry about it, the more it comes. Try to relax, your mind is tired, its overwhelmed by all these thoughts and feelings. None of them can hurt you x