PDA

View Full Version : Propranolol 2nd day.

hannah26
20-12-11, 22:15
Hello so yesterday i started propranolol, I am now on 80mg of propranolol and 20 mg of citalopram. I feel awful now my arms and chest are aching, I fell tired tingly, shakey my fingers are going a bit numb, im cold and just feel a bit wobbly. Now I know that these feelings are anxiety but its mainly just the pain in my arms and back thats freaking me out. I feel like I am going numb all over and am going to be paralysed. I know its so stupid but I just feel like I am going to stop. Whyt is this happening I though they were supposed to make me feel better not worse. I know that they somethimes take a while to work but I just feel so rubbish.
What should I do please tell me that this will get better.

Sorry I have gone on and on but I just needed to get it off my chest.
Thank you. x x

---------- Post added at 22:15 ---------- Previous post was at 21:54 ----------

Anyone at all please help.

hannah26
21-12-11, 21:19
Anyone at all I would really appriciate it. x

hungrycaterpillar
21-12-11, 21:25
I find propanolol really helpful at suppressing anxiety, it doesn't cure it but it definitely suppresses the symptoms.
Stick with it. You are on a fairly high dose so you should start feeling a little better soon.

hannah26
21-12-11, 21:30
Thank you so much for replying, I just womdered if propranolol is a medication like citalopram and it takes a few weeks to really work or do they work quite quickly after you have taken them?
Thank you. x

daintydi
21-12-11, 21:43
It took a week or so to get into my system, i had headaches, really cold hands and feet, but they did, and do, calm me down, so stick with them!! Take Care xx

scottishxlass
21-12-11, 22:14
hey :) i am on propranolol 80mg and i am suppost to be on anti depressants but i don't take them and i only take 40mg of propranolol! and i feel top notch they took away my shaking and everythin i have been on them for 5 months know and my life is back to normal, i think this maybe cos i got the implant out tho that made me mental in the first place...citalopram didnt work for me at all it made me worse so i stopped taking it and never will again! but its trial and error til u find something that works for u :) xxx

mallan82450
22-12-11, 09:57
Propranolol is not anything like citalopram. Citalopram is part of the SSRI family and used to treat various disorders related to mind. These types of medication can take anything up to 12 weeks to get into your system.
Propranolol is a beta-blocker. Beta-blockers affect the heart and circulation (blood flow through arteries and veins). Propranolol is used to treat tremors, angina (chest pain), hypertension (high blood pressure), heart rhythm disorders, and other heart or circulatory conditions. It is also used to treat or prevent heart attack, and to reduce the severity and frequency of migraine headaches. It can also be used to treat anxiety and the physical affects of panic.

It doesn't take a week to get into your system, it should only take approx 1 hr (quicker in many cases).

I find it amazing hat Dr's prescribe people suffering from anxiety and panic especially without explaining what they are putting into their bodies.

Hope this helps and covers any misconceptions.

Take care :D

daintydi
04-01-12, 10:53
Sorry i didnt mean it takes a week to get into your system, :wacko:
i meant it takes a week or so for your body to get use to it! Sorry if there was a misunderstanding. x

Carrera74
05-01-12, 18:19
It doesn't take long to get in your system but I think it takes a few weeks for your body to get used to it and for all that adrenaline that is flying round your body to calm down.

I take 80mg slow release version and it has given me my life back. I still suffer with anxiety symptoms but these take the edge off and stop my panic attacks from escalating out of control.

Hope they're as useful for you x

emptycans
06-01-12, 12:19
I take 160mg slow release of propranolol together with 150 sertraline and a bit of valium and feel ok now,bar the odd day. I do need the propranolol particularly in the morning as the AD are working i need the propranolol for some of the side effects. Although the prop reduces the anxiety the AD can increase it as a side effect. 20mg of citalapram is quite a low dose.

I changed AD a few times first after i felt the citalapram i felt had stopped working after the highest dose, and changed a few others because i didn't like what i had read or the side effects. If you don't like what the doctor has given you go back and ask for a change just tell them the side effects are too bad, its your life.

I am now thinking of reducing the dosage if the doc gives the ok, which he should as he has left it to me to decide what combinations work and changed if they didn't.

daintydi
09-01-12, 10:16
Hi,
I went back to the Doctors last week; he asked me if I wanted some anti depressants. I said no. I’m scared of the side effects making me feel any worse. I have enough symptoms, on a daily basis, without adding to them. Is there any positive to taking anti depressants? I hate medication anyway; it’s not something I want to get addicted to. Any idea? Thanks