PDA

View Full Version : allergies - advice, please!

swgrl09
21-12-11, 14:26
Hi all, I have been suffering with allergies whenever I am in my apartment for the past month. Itchy eyes, runny nose with clear mucus, etc. The typical symptoms.

The thing is that I have never had winter allergies before. This fall I also had hay fever for the first time, and I took Allegra and that helped. The allegra is not helping now for these winter allergies. I have tried claritin in the past, and that did not help. Today I started Zyrtec instead of Allegra, and am hoping for the best.

Any advice on how to deal with it? I have a cat, so I am worried that I have become allergic to her ... and I know it is normal to just become allergic to things over time, but I still am nervous that suddenly this year I seem to be allergic to everything!

But I know it is something in my apartment, as I feel better as soon as I leave. I bought a HEPA air purifier yesterday, I put it in the living room because that is where she is most, but then I felt sick while trying to sleep so maybe it is better off in there?

Any advice please??? I don't want to have to get rid of her!

Also just to note I have a doctor's appointment January 8th, so I am trying to just hold out until then to ask about being tested and maybe allergy shots. It's such a busy time of year with the holiday and then my sisters wedding, so I really don't have time until then. So anything that may help me get through the next few weeks would be great.

Thanks in advance

---------- Post added at 09:26 ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 ----------

Well I got too anxious and called around and got an appointment with an allergist office on Friday ... I am nervous, I have never been to one. What should I expect? I am nervous that if I am allergic to something, the test will make me overreact or if I am not allergic to anything, then what the heck is wrong with me?

Has anybody gone and had this done before? Will they know the results right away?