PDA

View Full Version : allergy testing? anybody?

swgrl09
21-12-11, 19:14
What should I expect at an allergy appointment? Will they test me and know the results right away so I can get some better meds? I want to feel better for Christmas and my sister's wedding in a week

happycarrot
21-12-11, 19:41
Well, it depends on what kind of test you are having. I have had both a skin test and a blood test. When I had the skin test, the nurse pricked my back with lots of tiny needles dipped in different things people might be allergic to. It didn't really hurt; I was more frustrated about having to lie still. (I was about five years old the first time I had the skin test, and about 12 the second time.) After my skin had had time to react to the different substances, she came back and wrote down which ones had reacted and how strong the reaction was. So I had the results of that one the same day. The blood test was just like most blood tests, draw some blood and send it off to be tested. I also had a head x-ray which showed a cyst in my sinuses that was contributing to my sinus problems (all of my allergy symptoms were sinus related). I got some sinus pills and a nasal spray that day to help my sinus congestion, but I had allergy shots for many years as well.

swgrl09
21-12-11, 21:54
Thanks for your reply. How long does it take for the marks to go away? I am in my sister's wedding a week from the appointment and we have to wear strapless dresses, so I don't want to look all prickly.

happycarrot
21-12-11, 22:04
You should probably take what I remember with a grain of salt, since it's been well over a decade since I had the skin test, but what I had were really tiny little needles that just barely broke the skin. I doubt they would take too long to clear up, but I would ask the nurse about it. Maybe they can give you some ointment or test on skin that will be covered by the dress. The good news is that with the skin test, you should know pretty quickly what you're allergic to, and hopefully you can get started on treatment.