PDA

View Full Version : Fear of flying

MikeR
22-12-11, 11:59
So in order to get me on an aeroplane for a trip to america, i was prescribed 2mg Valium tablets. I've had a long history of panic attacks and general anxiety, particularly in regards to air travel.

I leave in 4 days and I'm becoming increasingly worried about just how the valium is going to affect me. Should i try some before the flight to see what it's like? I'm terrified of the possible side effects and want to know if anything bad is going to happen BEFORE i get on that flight.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

GlenyD
23-12-11, 11:32
It should be totally fine MikeR, 2mgs is a tiny amount. I'm on 10mgs a day at the moment. It'll just make you feel a bit chilled out and maybe a bit sleepy. :-) It's a real pleasant feeling. Trust me on that one. ;-) I have never had any side effects really. Apart from being addicted! But that's only if you take them long term like me. :-) Nothing bad will happen. Once you're up in the air you should enjoy it. I remember being terrified of flying too, take-off I didn't like, but once I was up I loooved it!! The view was incredible and lovely. If you've got enough to do you then try some if you like I guess. But if not don't go buying more from any disreputable source or you might get chalk or something even worse!

All the best!

J0sHi
24-01-12, 23:48
Yeah take them it makes the whole ride alot easier. I was perscribed 2's for a flight and took 3 before the flight to make a 6mg dose. I also got crapped up in turbulance and took some more.

Only thing is i would take it at least 30minutes before you board. Diazapam takes a little while to kick in.

Id try one before you fly so you dont shock yourself when u feel chilled, get a feel for it always best thing to you know your own body better than anyone.

Monostich
10-02-12, 17:30
I used to get them prescribed for flying. Although 2mg isn't enough for me - unless I take 6-8 tablets of them.

swanlinnet
10-02-12, 17:50
2mg is a very low dose.

If I had a fear of something like flying then I would definietly
take about 6 or 8 mg.

2mg is really negligible.

Vince:)

Carys
10-02-12, 18:33
Do you know, I can see where you are coming from on this one, if you've never taken them before I would definitely try one....so that you know what to expect and how it feels. Chose a quiet time at home and then it will be one less thing to worry about leading up to the flight.

---------- Post added at 18:33 ---------- Previous post was at 18:32 ----------

Mike is it definitely 2 mg Valium and not another 'similar' med like Lorazepam ?

haz
10-02-12, 18:37
Do you know, I can see where you are coming from on this one, if you've never taken them before I would definitely try one....so that you know what to expect and how it feels. Chose a quiet time at home and then it will be one less thing to worry about leading up to the flight.

---------- Post added at 18:33 ---------- Previous post was at 18:32 ----------

Mike is it definitely 2 mg Valium and not another 'similar' med like Lorazepam ?

6mg of lorazepam and he would have to be carried onto the plane!!

1-2mg of lorazepam is roughly equal to 10mg diazepam. :)

Carys
10-02-12, 19:04
6mg of lorazepam and he would have to be carried onto the plane!!

Yes, I know Haz :wacko::roflmao:I think you have misread my post ? Mike said he had been prescribed only 2mg of Valium, which seemed a very small amount. So, that was why I asked if he was sure it was Valium and not Lorazepam he had been prescribed ? (as that would make better sense)

haz
10-02-12, 19:27
Yes, I know Haz :wacko::roflmao:I think you have misread my post ? Mike said he had been prescribed only 2mg of Valium, which seemed a very small amount. So, that was why I asked if he was sure it was Valium and not Lorazepam he had been prescribed ? (as that would make better sense)

:roflmao:Did he not say he was prescribed 2mg tablets (as in more than one) though?

2mg valium can be effective for some people if they're not used to taking them. I think I already said he could take 2mg, night before, 2mg in the morning, 2mg just before flight so it builds up in his system.

Few Gp's would prescribe 5mg tablets if you've never taken before I think. :)

---------- Post added at 19:27 ---------- Previous post was at 19:20 ----------

In fact, just read the date of the post! We're too late, he posted on the 22nd Dec saying he was flying in 4 days time. :ohmy:

He's probably home again by now.

How did you get on Mike?:)

Carys
10-02-12, 20:06
In fact, just read the date of the post! We're too late, he posted on the 22nd Dec saying he was flying in 4 days time. :ohmy:

He's probably home again by now.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Nice one !!!