PDA

View Full Version : Pain?

puglove
22-12-11, 22:17
Had the results of my bloods back and all is normal as I thought, so my GP advises my symptoms are more than likely anxiety/stress related. No other tests have been done and i`m not on any medication as of yet. GP was really reluctant and kept telling me that if I went on meds I would feel worse for two weeks before I would feel better and "did I really want that"? :ohmy: Is this true have other people found this?

Also, I understand that anxiety etc can cause all sorts of physical symptoms. But the pains I am getting are so severe I cant get my head round it. If I was feeling worked up or worried then fair enough, I could understand a sore chest or palipitations but I`m having a constant pain in my chest, sometimes I am doubled over! As soon as I open my eyes and wake up in the morning, even feeling quite relaxed I can feel it kick in almost straight away and im carrying around alllll day long, it just varies in how bad it is. Also I am so queasy I can barely keep anything down.

Is there anything else I should be asking for from my GP? Or am I just meant to walk around with this pain forever :weep:

Mindful
22-12-11, 22:22
Have you looked into the CBT course offered on this site? I think it would really benefit you to have a look.:hugs:

puglove
22-12-11, 22:32
Not yet Mindful, I have saw afew people mention it though. I`ll have a little look now.

I just dont understand it as I`m not feeling paniced or anxious but this pain will not go away!

Thanks

Mindful
22-12-11, 22:37
Ah yeh anxiety is very strange isnt it?

I have had some of my worst attacks whilst laying about on the sofa watching a good film, feeling zero tension, zero stress and WHAM.. i am suddenly in full panic..pains in my head, pains down my chest, pains in all kinds of places.

The thing you have to remember is that thoughts can be as quick as a flash, we dont notice every thought we ever get, all it takes is a quick split second of any thought related to whatever we fear ( in your case right now its the pain in the chest) to set it off. Within seconds we have tripped that wire again.

puglove
22-12-11, 22:46
I have had some of my worst attacks whilst laying about on the sofa watching a good film, feeling zero tension, zero stress and WHAM.. i am suddenly in full panic..pains in my head, pains down my chest, pains in all kinds of places.

I suppose when I think of the word panic, I think of full blown extreme symptoms. Suppose thats not always the case?

I cant find this CBT course, do you know where I will find it? :blush:

Mindful
22-12-11, 22:49
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=91696

cathycrumble
22-12-11, 22:56
Had the results of my bloods back and all is normal as I thought, so my GP advises my symptoms are more than likely anxiety/stress related. No other tests have been done and i`m not on any medication as of yet. GP was really reluctant and kept telling me that if I went on meds I would feel worse for two weeks before I would feel better and "did I really want that"? :ohmy: Is this true have other people found this?

Also, I understand that anxiety etc can cause all sorts of physical symptoms. But the pains I am getting are so severe I cant get my head round it. If I was feeling worked up or worried then fair enough, I could understand a sore chest or palipitations but I`m having a constant pain in my chest, sometimes I am doubled over! As soon as I open my eyes and wake up in the morning, even feeling quite relaxed I can feel it kick in almost straight away and im carrying around alllll day long, it just varies in how bad it is. Also I am so queasy I can barely keep anything down.

anything else I should be asking for from my GP? Or am I just meant to walk around with this pain forever :weep:

Hi I had that and I went to A&E a few times it turned out I had acid reflux and was given antacids which worked for me I must say though Iwas under a bit of stress at the time. xx

Cathy xx

puglove
22-12-11, 23:15
Thanks Mindful for link

Hi I had that and I went to A&E a few times it turned out I had acid reflux and was given antacids which worked for me I must say though Iwas under a bit of stress at the time. xx

Cathy xx

Cathy, I`m very new to anxiety etc so dont really know but I think it might be worth at least ruling other options out. Whatever the cause of the chest pain whether its anxiety or acid reflux etc I need something for it as its literally there all the time and its awful! The last few nights I have been so close to going to A&E but I wouldnt want to waste their time! So think i`ll try and get back in to see a doctor. Thanks for your reply :)

.Poppy.
23-12-11, 04:00
This may not help you, but I thought I'd add - does it seem to hurt more when you move and/or press on your chest?

I had awful chest pains and thought I was having heart problems - went to the doc and he told me I had costochondritis. Apparently anxiety can cause it to flare up a bit, but it can really be extremely painful (and it can wrap around to your side and back as well). If that were the case, it isn't severe; just painful. It's caused by inflammation of cartilage on near your sternum. Pain meds and heat compresses usually help.

But yes, anxiety can cause all sorts of weird things. I get pains from time to time too, and if I focus far too much on them, they just stick around for a good long time.

It does sound like they ruled out anything incredibly serious, so take these new options to them and see what they think. I used to think any chest pain was heart related; in fact, there are many things that can cause that kind of pain.

puglove
23-12-11, 11:25
Hi Poppy thanks for this.

This sounds weird but if im sat still and "concentrating" on relaxing :wacko: its not so painful. When i`m up and about it does seem worse. Ive also had no appetite this week at all and felt very queasy. I normally love my food haha so this is not like me at all. Woke up in the middle of the night and immediately had to rush to the bathroom and was sick, it felt like acid and burned my chest and throat so bad!