PDA

View Full Version : Advice please re Sertraline/Zoloft? Am worried!

NatM80
23-12-11, 17:39
Hi,

Am hoping someone can help me!

I've been on Mirtazipine (45mg) for 3 years, with no probs at all.

However, depression has come back with a vengeance, along with anxiety and disturbing thoughts.

As I am 21 weeks pregnant, I was fast-tracked to see a Consultant Psychiatrist today, who was lovely and very helpful.

He has decided to transfer me from Mirtz to Sertraline (50mg pd to start with).

My problem is, I've tried several SSRI's (sp?), and have ALWAYS had bad reactions to them (paroxetine, fluroxetine, etc., etc.).

Is Sertraline similar to these drugs, or does it tend to be better tolerated?

As it's Christmas, I've decided to hold off taking Sertraline until the 27th December, because if I do have adverse reactions, it will spoil Christmas. I know this depression/anxiety which has come back is dilapidating, but at least I know where I stand with it, and can get through Christmas with that, but am worried about taking Sertraline and it affecting me so badly, that Christmas will be ruined :weep:

Can anyone please give me some advise? First hand experience? Are side effects for this med bad, or more tolerable than some other AD's?

Thanks in advance for any advice or information you can give me, and wishing you all a very Merry Christmas, and a peaceful, happy, healthy and prosperous New Year!

Nat x :)

Ambers
23-12-11, 18:16
Hi Nat - firstly congrats on your pregnancy :)

I started 50mg Sertraline nearly 5 weeks ago. I was really apprehensive at first after having a really bad experience on Fluoxetine. I have to say nothing really happened this time around apart from some tiredness and feeling slightly light-headed, a bit of tummy cramps now and again and feeling slighty nausea - nothing bad enough to stop and all managable to get on with day to day living. It did work and I started feeling better on about the 3rd day almost however lately I have felt anxious again so I am wondering whether it is a blip or my dose needing upping.

Everyone is different so I cannot tell you if this will work for you but I am happy that I started to take it. Any other questions I am happy tp respond. Merry Xmas :)

NatM80
23-12-11, 22:42
Hi Nat - firstly congrats on your pregnancy :)

I started 50mg Sertraline nearly 5 weeks ago. I was really apprehensive at first after having a really bad experience on Fluoxetine. I have to say nothing really happened this time around apart from some tiredness and feeling slightly light-headed, a bit of tummy cramps now and again and feeling slighty nausea - nothing bad enough to stop and all managable to get on with day to day living. It did work and I started feeling better on about the 3rd day almost however lately I have felt anxious again so I am wondering whether it is a blip or my dose needing upping.

Everyone is different so I cannot tell you if this will work for you but I am happy that I started to take it. Any other questions I am happy tp respond. Merry Xmas :)

Thank you so much for your lovely reply!! :)

I am really apprehensive, as every SSRI I've tried has had adverse effects Fluoxetine especially. Mirtazipine is the only AD that I have been able to tolerate, but it's just not working for me any more.

I can cope with those side effects tho, I hope I only get those! It's the insomnia and restlessness, not being able to sit or stan still, which I am worried about. I'm anxious already, I really dont want to make that worse!

I'm wondering whether to break the tablets in half, and take only 25mg pd for the first week - Or whether to just dive in and hope for the best?!

Thank you, you have given me hope that this med will help me without giving me the awful side effects of other SSRI's.

Merry Christmas to you too! :D, and a BIG thank you! x