PDA

View Full Version : i feel more confident on venlafaxine

patricias
23-12-11, 19:41
:):)christmas is the worst time of the year for me, so it is a good yardstick to give me an idea of how venlafaxine is working for me. i think i am more confident, my partner thinks i am argueing more, the doctor thinks i am standing up for myself more, i agree with him.
i would like to think i am doing a lot better on these so maybe they are working better than citalopram were, i am definatly different in some ways.
the sickness went away after 2 weeks.
so all in all i am giving venlafaxine the thumbs up. lets hope it lasts.
any other thoughts on this drug?

robinbrum
23-12-11, 21:55
I'm really pleased it's working for you and I certainly hope it stays that way. I took it over a period of about 4 months steadily increasing it until I reached the max dosage (forget what that was). All it did was make me really tired and slightly sick and I found it very hard withdrawing from them. I'm now hoping Pregabalin will be the one that does it for me. It's odd because I always wanted to avoid a drug that made me tired and people said Venlafaxine was stimulating rather than sedating so I was very disappointed in it. Does it make you feel more alert?

patricias
23-12-11, 22:05
hi, i dont know if i am more alert on them or not, i just know that i am different to when i was on citalopram. they are keeping severe depression away from me i know that because i am able to stand all the xmas stuff going on around me without crying everytime i see anything to do with it ,even christmas trees and decorations made me cry previous years.
always interested in other experiences simular.

chappers1980
23-12-11, 23:45
i feel the same, feel so much better on these than citalopram, way more like my normal self so its been a saviour to me, everyday i get better and better. I can now get out and about and enjoy doing stuff x

Tish
30-12-11, 07:03
I'd never heard of this drug before but I've been reading an article about it and apparently it's extremely good for menopausal women (latest trials). I think I might go against my fear of medication and ask my doctor if I can try it. It's possible that the menopause triggered my anxiety because I had my first panic attack with a hot flush. Venlafaxine apparently helps with hot flushes and can even eliminate them.

petram
30-12-11, 15:13
hi guys im on day 1 , took a hour ago and feel a bit fluttery in chest area and slight palps . can u let me know how ya doing n wat side effects u may of encountered?? xxx

chappers1980
30-12-11, 21:53
I just got dry mouth and a bad headache for a few days. Nausea wasn't so bad compared to Citalopram. My anxiety has pretty much vanished and feeling much more myself now x

Carys
30-12-11, 21:58
Wow, there is quite a few venlafaxine posts atm...interesting.

Good luck all !

petram
01-01-12, 22:00
chapper s i woke with burning ear and hands today n had body temp fluct s today im taking mine with valum coz my anxiety is severe enough as it is although i can still feel the palps n belly anxiety, with the valum i only 2 mg or 1 mg when needed but its only day 3 insomnia s as been a bit of a issue too and i take at 7 ish am , how long u been on them hun , im only 37.5 mg as my doc know s i dont tolerate ssri , i wa son the last 1 8 weeks with out any improvemnet (sertaline ) so been off that 12/ weeks now and this is said to work dif from a ssri its a snri . did u try a ssri before this hun?? xx im glad ya back to ya old self anxiety is evil x

chappers1980
02-01-12, 16:17
I was on 37.5mg for 2 weeks and been on the 75mg for 10 days or so. Before that i was on Citalopram (SSRI) for about 6-8 weeks but i'd got the maximum dose and hadnt felt much better. I was given Propranonol to get me through when i feel really anxious although haven't taken any of those for about 2 weeks although going back to work tomorrow after 2 months off so i have a feeling i shall be taking some tomorrow :-)

My GP told me that there are 3 types of chemicals that control mood, Serotonin, Norepinephrine and Dopamine. They generally try you on SSRI first (which is just controls serotonin), then they try you on an SRNI (which is serotonin and norepinephrine), then if they dont work they move you up to the next one which does all three. They just have to find the right levels for you by playing around so i'd say if things aren't improving after 6 weeks or so on something, try something else.

petram
03-01-12, 13:06
day 5 , ocd and mood wasnt very good yesterday , feel nice and calm but a bit flat today , not dressed but weathe ris shite n not alot to do so why not ... kids not back to school till tom .
did u see any improvements on 37.5 mg ?
was wandering wether or not to speak to gp in ask if i should raise it too 37.5 and half of 1 of them ?? maybe after a week? thanks for the reply :) xx

---------- Post added at 12:06 ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 ----------

good luck with work hope u got on ok ! x

chappers1980
03-01-12, 14:01
Yep saw lots of improvement on 37.5mg which is why the GP moved me up to 75mg as i was coping so well. No harm in asking them.

I managed to go back to work today after 3 months off work and wasn't that anxious at all so feel the drugs really have made a difference to me. Couldn't believe the difference to a few weeks ago. I have noticed how much more relaxed I am now and people have commented on how chilled out i seem x

petram
03-01-12, 16:59
ah thats brill news , i felt my anxiety had lifted this morning but my mood was was very flat did u find you suffered like this untill the meds kicked in properly ?? and at stage did u feel that please hun? x so glad u got on well at work :)

---------- Post added at 15:59 ---------- Previous post was at 15:54 ----------

and sorry how long before u upped to the 75mg? x

chappers1980
03-01-12, 17:42
yeh i felt very similar to start with and then suddenly started smiling again. I still get bouts of anxiety now and again during the day but it disappears quite quickly. I had 2 weeks on 37.5mg before i moved up as i was impatient to get better x

petram
03-01-12, 17:45
ah ty for your reply hun , hope u don tmind me asking n telling u how im doing just not many other s are on this med and dont tell u the good stuff , thanks thats a bit reassuring, was u depressed too prior to starting ven? and have racey head /or ocd with the anxiety? x

chappers1980
03-01-12, 20:15
Don't worry about asking questions. I didn't think I was depressed but apparently the anxiety can mask those symptoms. Citalopram did help a bit with the anxiety but still didnt feel like i could function and do day to day things like shopping etc. Since taking Venlafaxine i can get out and about without feeling anxious and the tearfulness has stopped. I do have my moments but you have to remember its normal to feel anxious and down sometime. I don't have the intrusive thoughts racing through my head at night anymore and am back to enjoying going to sleep rather than dreading it for waking up anxious every morning. I almost would say i dont care about things as much (but in a good way), I'm not getting obsessed with tidying/cleaning etc and worrying so much about pointless things. The trouble is with some of these forums is that people tend to turn to them when things get bad which is why i thought i'd try and share some good xxx

petram
03-01-12, 20:24
bless u , so would u say 5 days is too soon to feel any better hun , ?? did u take yours 1st thing in the morning too? ty for supporting me through this :)

chappers1980
03-01-12, 21:13
I started to notice more about day 10 but all depends on on the individual. As i'd moved over from Citalopram I was probably a bit further on. I take mine about 11am as struggle to eat breakfast and as you need to take them with food, find it easier that way. I notice if i am late in taking them (like 3-4 hours late) i get a bit jittery.

I would give them at least 14 days for them to start working before you ask your GP about upping the dose or changing meds and most of these drugs do take 4 weeks or so for people to notice a massive difference.

Have you taken anything prior to these?

petram
03-01-12, 21:43
i take mine on a empty stomach about 7 /8 am every am , i have no app n have lost 2 stone already , before i was on sertaline for years but took me like 7 months to get better and was told to stay on them for maintenance, i took like 2/3 a week , atthe end of august i see my gp about me shoulder and mentioned i felt sluggish he said to take them every day only 50mg , my anxiety come back along with harm ocd!! i stayed on em for 8 weeks and i have been off them now 13 /14 weeks , but im just not coping at all , hence i v started to take venex, ....... as these work dif to a ssri , so prayingthese will help me out . xx like u i dont wanna feel complete shit but dont wanna prolong the agony any further x

Catya
22-01-12, 12:15
Chappers is 75mg the highest dose you went on?

.... Or anyone else can answer. Just want to know if this dose is effective enough for severe depression. Thanks. X

chappers1980
25-01-12, 19:49
Chappers is 75mg the highest dose you went on?

.... Or anyone else can answer. Just want to know if this dose is effective enough for severe depression. Thanks. X

Yep thats the highest dose i needed. I had severe anxiety disorder and moderate depression. Everyone is different though x

Catya
25-01-12, 23:04
Bit concerned that I've been put on 150mg but it seems to be ok so far. Just waiting for them to kick in properly. X