PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else get numb/tingly hands before a panic attack?

katie23
23-12-11, 19:21
I was walking round the supermarket today and all of a sudden my hands felt numb then when I put them down they felt like they was throbbing swelling up then I had a mini panic attack felt like I was going to faint etc and felt shaky etc after!

nomorepanic
23-12-11, 19:29
Yes it is normal for this to happen as the blood goes to the important organs so the hands and feet can feel numb and tingly

katie23
23-12-11, 19:32
Yeah just freaked me out because it was before a panic attack xx

lou597
23-12-11, 19:36
yes

Pat77
23-12-11, 23:02
YES ,,, I also get the side of my face and lips numb ... sometimes the whole day ... but eventually go away ... just try to forget about it ... easier to say than actually do it ... :flowers:

robinhall
23-12-11, 23:31
Hi Everyone

Katie was saying this numbness and tingling freaked them out because 'it happened before a panic attack'

The term 'panic attack' is so commonly used now we have come to think of the 'panic attack' as a thing which happens TO us.

For those of you who understand about the fight or flight response it is very useful if you keep in mind that what you actually experience is very exaggerated fight or flight sensations (very often out of the blue) - and because you can't relate them to any obvious cause - you believe your mental or physical health must be severely at risk - and THEN you go 'into panic'

So - 'panic' is your reaction TO the very frightening fight or flight sensations (like numbness and tingling)

The reason I am mentioning this is to suggest that you stop seeing a 'panic attack' as something outside yourself which can attack you at any moment and is beyond your control

The fight or flight sensations arising out of the blue can be beyond our control but going 'into panic' IS something we can learn to control - which in turn lessens the fight or flight

It is our going into panic that ironically increases the symptoms

I'm sure many of you know this already - but if I can add this extra tip - experiment with using the term fight or flight instead of 'panic'

So - instead of saying "I had terrible panic today" - try saying "I felt extreme fight or flight sensations today" - you can add "and I went into panic" - if that's what happened

Can you see the difference

when we just repeat again and again that we have 'panic attacks' - we aren't reminding ourselves that what we are actually having is exaggerated fight or flight - and it's VERY scary indeed

at least when we remember it's fight or flight we are less likely to think we are seriously ill or going insane

these subtle things can make a big difference in the long run

eva82
24-12-11, 02:23
Yes I've had that too... Sometimes I don't have a panic attack with it, but I have gotten it when really anxious!

MissChampers
26-12-11, 22:37
Yes I do, my arms go all cold first then they start tingling.

xhyperyogix
27-12-11, 18:59
i get numb all down entires sides of my body or just ands / feet etc. i wake up like it. had it for years and although i knew without a doubt i always had panic attacks (too much fight or flight lol!!!) as you can't ignore that - i did until this year (ooo soon to be last yr) not realise how much it was all related. anywway, i've tended to ignore most things i have physically so mostly i felt numb anyway. but the point is things like the ringing in the ears (which has been driving me mad the last few months constantly) and numb stuff if i pretend its not there it goes away....eventually!!!.xxx

ewood79
30-12-11, 02:23
:doh:
Hi Everyone

Katie was saying this numbness and tingling freaked them out because 'it happened before a panic attack'

The term 'panic attack' is so commonly used now we have come to think of the 'panic attack' as a thing which happens TO us.

For those of you who understand about the fight or flight response it is very useful if you keep in mind that what you actually experience is very exaggerated fight or flight sensations (very often out of the blue) - and because you can't relate them to any obvious cause - you believe your mental or physical health must be severely at risk - and THEN you go 'into panic'

So - 'panic' is your reaction TO the very frightening fight or flight sensations (like numbness and tingling)

The reason I am mentioning this is to suggest that you stop seeing a 'panic attack' as something outside yourself which can attack you at any moment and is beyond your control

The fight or flight sensations arising out of the blue can be beyond our control but going 'into panic' IS something we can learn to control - which in turn lessens the fight or flight

It is our going into panic that ironically increases the symptoms

I'm sure many of you know this already - but if I can add this extra tip - experiment with using the term fight or flight instead of 'panic'

So - instead of saying "I had terrible panic today" - try saying "I felt extreme fight or flight sensations today" - you can add "and I went into panic" - if that's what happened

Can you see the difference

when we just repeat again and again that we have 'panic attacks' - we aren't reminding ourselves that what we are actually having is exaggerated fight or flight - and it's VERY scary indeed

at least when we remember it's fight or flight we are less likely to think we are seriously ill or going insane

these subtle things can make a big difference in the long run

Brilliantly said...... I don't get to scared of a panic attack after it happens as I know what it is my main worry is the anxious state and feelings that then come from it after.... Perhaps it's how I think about it all....

evil monkey
01-01-12, 10:48
I had that altho I didn't realise it was a panic attack, and I was just like... what thefff**. Robin - nice :)

Gumboots
01-01-12, 18:28
Thanks guys, this really has helped me personally, I went to brum, yesterday and had the tingling fingers, sometimes I also get a shiver from my head down to my toes. Does anyone have another technique to slow or stop the panic/flight. I am really struggling with this at the moment, I have been working very hard and cannot relax as I feel guilty for sitting down. I am trying to push my self to go out and they and feel normal. Have only been like this since 2011. At least I know someone else out there gets the same. Any tips on trying to relax or take away the guilty feelings??????:weep: