PDA

View Full Version : Weight gain on Prozac?

Karen
07-06-06, 06:08
I am currently attending an eating disorder unit as a day patient. Recently I have been experiencing swings between anorexic and bulimic thoughts and behaviours.

Now I am being pressured to take Prozac, both for the depression I am experiencing and also to control my binge eating.

If I really believed it would work then I'd take it because I am desperate to stop bingeing. However, I also know enough about antidepressant medications to know that for some people they cause weight gain.

Has anyone taken Proxac (either currently or in the past)? Did you have problems with weight gain? As my main problem at present is my eating disorder it fills me with terror to consider taking anything which could possibly lead to further weight gain.

Thanks for taking the time to read and I'd appreciate hearing any personal experiences with this particular medication.

nomorepanic
07-06-06, 10:49
Karen

I put 2 stone on with Dotheipin but was fine on Prozac. Hope that reassures you.

Nicola

Piglet
07-06-06, 11:46
Karen I took Prozac for 3 months 6 years ago and it didn't affect my weight in the slightest one way or the other.

Love Piglet xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

joolsukuk
07-06-06, 12:51
hi ive been on prozac for 40 days and lost weight..

jools xx

Karen
07-06-06, 16:47
Thank you for all the replies and for the reassurances.

Prozac is licenced in the treatment of bulimia and is meant to quickly stop bingeing episodes, which obviously would be good from my point of view. I want to stop bingeing. The therapeutic dose for this is high though - 60mg and I am still concerned that after the initial settling period that it might cause weight gain.

I noticed there is one vote for it causing weight gain.

I really don't know what to do. I am in a real state at present and in an attempt to cope and to lose weight I am considering all manner of ideas, most of which are not healthy and will serve to allow me to punish myself again by self harming.

The situation is so bad now that I can't cope with more weight gain and I don't even want to think what it would lead me to do to myself.

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

LisaS
08-06-06, 18:34
i only took it for 2 months but i lost weight. however that may have been to do with my severe anxiety..

i'd give it a go it sounds like you'd have nothing to lose.
big hugs,
lisa xxx

"do not fear to hope...Each time we smell the autumn's dying scent, we know that primrose time will come again"

arethaire
11-06-06, 20:46
Hi Karen

I have been taking antidepressants for about 3 yrs now. I started on Seroxat & gained quite a lot of weight, so I changed to Prozac. I have not lost the weight or gained anymore since taking them .....

Cath x

EmmaJane
11-06-06, 21:44
Sorry, im going to be the opposite here. I have been on Prozac for 18 months and gained 2 stone. I was also on it a few years ago and again gained 2 stone. It made me binge eat. I lost the weight when I came off it, the first time. I cant say this time as Im still on it. Im sorry Karen, but everyone is different. xx It may help you?

Feel free to PM me, if you want to talk.

Emma xx

Keep focused, keep positive.

Karen
11-06-06, 22:03
Thank you for the replies.

This is my concern. No one can say definitely that it won't cause weight gain and the reason I would be taking it would be to control my binge eating. That's why I am so reluctant because if it has the opposite effect I will feel so much worse.

For the moment I have started 5HTP again because I tried this last year and didn't gain weight. I also didn't tolerate it very well as even after several weeks it was causing nausea. But nausea = not feeling like eating which is good.

I think I'll give Prozac a miss for now.

Karen

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

EmmaJane
11-06-06, 22:53
Karen

I wish you luck on your decision and hope you get the help you deserve

Feel free to PM me, if you want to talk.

Emma xx

Keep focused, keep positive.

Karen
11-06-06, 23:04
Thanks Emma.

Karen

jilguero
13-06-06, 21:00
My daughter in law has been prescribed prozac for pms anyone got any experience of taking it for this reason?

jilguero
13-06-06, 21:01
My daughter in law has been prescribed prozac for pms anyone got any experience of taking it for this reason?